Disconnect from Shore Power While Leveling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disconnect from Shore Power While Leveling

Perhaps you all have already discovered this. After much help from Lippert on why one jack would not respond to a "corner" command to lower or raise individually (it works as part of a group command: i.e. Retract All, Auto Level and Return to Hitch Height), one helpful Lippert tech mentioned something new - that all testing of the control unit should be when disconnected from shore power. (Falsely thinking I was saving the battery, I - until now - have been connecting to shore power - THEN leveling the 5W.) The subtle comment from Lippert today was - "Stray voltage or line interference can be introduced by the battery charger." Sure enough, I disconnected shore power - standing voltage into the control unit dropped from 13.18 to 12.81 - and the offending jack now behaves as instructed. Happy trails...

Wow. Thanks Chip. That is a real "gotcha". I'd have never considered that.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
      Wow. Thanks Chip. That is a real "gotcha". I'd have never considered that.

Jim
      Thanks for this info. I am guilty of trying to "save the batteries" also.
      Trib
      2019 Freightliner Cascadia 126
      2021 Momentum 320G
      2021 Road Glide Limited
      See you down the road!!

Comment

I usually have the unit plugged in while prepping to hook the truck up and hold off on pulling the power until last. Once we are at destination, after unhooking leveling is done while pulling out all of the necessary cables and hookups.

I've ran jacks individually on both battery and shore power with no issues. By chance when you are plugged in, can you see what the battery / converter voltage is? My unit runs about 13.2VDC on shore power (still running FLA battery). I wonder if you have a converter issue? If you are comfortable with a multi meter and voltage, can you measure the AC voltage at the battery (yes there will be some). If it's too high this could be an indiction that the converter has an issue.

For those on Lithium unplugging before hooking up to the newer vehicles could potentially save the dreaded brake controller issues where the Trailer module shuts down the unit to avoid power back feeding from the trailer's higher voltage.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
        X