Propane Gas Detector Lost Power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Propane Gas Detector Lost Power

Our Propane Gas Detector mounted in the island has suddenly lost power. I just replaced the unit and discovered now power to it. I need to find the source of power to trace it out. Can you get me started? Thanks
    Bradley

2016 29RS Reflection 5th Wheel

Originally posted by webmeister View Post
    Our Propane Gas Detector mounted in the island has suddenly lost power. I just replaced the unit and discovered now power to it. I need to find the source of power to trace it out. Can you get me started? Thanks
    Bradley

2016 29RS Reflection 5th Wheel
    It's a 12v line, Bradley. You'll see the wires inside the cabinet (behind the detector, obviously). If your island is like the one in my 315RLTS, the wires are just behind it. You may have to remove an "L" decorative piece hiding the plumbing.

In the picture below the wires to the detector were cut to tap into them for LED lights, so ignore the extra wires going off to the left (you won't have them).

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	112
Size:	841.0 KB
ID:	124619
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thanks Howson, yes my wires are under the sink (island) and go down into the hole where the piping goes. Where they go to after that is what I am wondering. Not sure where they go from under the sink. I need to find a source connection or fuse (not sure about a fuse).

Comment

Thanks Howson, yes my wires are under the sink (island) and go down into the hole where the piping goes. Where they go to after that is what I am wondering. Not sure where they go from under the sink. I need to find a source connection or fuse (not sure about a fuse).
        Country Campers has a 29RS -- perhaps he'll know.

What I can state is the detector is always on -- it does not go through a fuse on the power panel. (It's one of the culprits that drains batteries even though the misnamed "battery disconnect" is turned off.) Unfortunately I've never seen a diagram showing how the 12v power routes from the battery or traced it myself.

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine

Comment

I would imagine it's a home run to the self resetting breaker. Eventhough RVIA writes their own rules, I cannot think of a reason it would not run back to the relay or the input side of the disconnect.

Howard, is there anything else other than power jack / stabilizers, emergency break away switch, and the gas detector that are always powered? And if it's not a ground control leveling system, then only the main tongue jack would be powered not the stabilizers (I don't believe stabilizers are considered critical equipment for unhooking thus not powered).
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Sorry I do not know where the propane detector gets its power. I would however first look at the power distribution panel and see if the wires trace to there. Did you check at the splice connection that you made to be sure power is or is not there?

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
              I would imagine it's a home run to the self resetting breaker. Eventhough RVIA writes their own rules, I cannot think of a reason it would not run back to the relay or the input side of the disconnect.

Howard, is there anything else other than power jack / stabilizers, emergency break away switch, and the gas detector that are always powered? And if it's not a ground control leveling system, then only the main tongue jack would be powered not the stabilizers (I don't believe stabilizers are considered critical equipment for unhooking thus not powered).
              Not 100% sure, Joseph. Getting a 0 amp draw from the camper (by finding and isolating each of the "always on" items) is something I haven't done. None of the information provided to the moderators from GD is even close to the specificity needed to figure out the answer from drawings.

Howard

Howard & Francine

Comment

Try looking in your front bay at the power distribution bar. It will be under an elongated black cover. On my unit it's on the back wall lower right corner. Note the wire colors under your sink and and see if they tie into the always hot side of that bar through one of the self resetting breakers.

2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Thank you all. I did find that power to the detector comes from the fuse bus bar in the power center. There is a pair of 2 wires (4 total) on the detector. I found the + one going to that fuse bus bar, HOWEVER I do not know where the second + wire goes. Maybe something else gets fed with that 2nd wire.
                  That being said I will confess, I thought I was installing the detector I bought many months ago. Turns out I was installing the old one which was dead...enough said. BRAIN FADE...

Comment

Working...
                  X