One good and one probably bad battery

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One good and one probably bad battery

Our 2021 337RLS has 2 Interstate group 27 batteries, picked it up from getting the refrigerator wiring recall done and having it gone through to make sure it’s road ready for a trip to Gulf Shores in February. Pulled the batteries and brought them home, one was reading high 12’s or low 13’s after towing it home. The other was reading 9 and change. Had some cheap Harbor Freight .5 amp charger/maintainers that I put on both. One got to full charge and I ran a load test, it appears fine, the other one after close to 24 hours was up to 10.2 VDC. Figured it would take forever at .5 amps to charge, so called Batteries Plus, they said they would fully charge, if possible, and or dispose of it if necessary. Waiting for a call back, think I already know the answer. We can manage on 1 battery since we are always on shore power(previous owner had added second battery before we bought it), however I’m considering getting one of those LiTime 12V 230aH LiFePO4 batteries and probably have to upgrade our converter too. Thinking of things down the road, when the fridge craps out probably look at 12 VDC one so can run it while driving and maybe be cold before our destination arrival. Who knows, may eventually add enough solar to charge said battery to run fridge. What would be minimum solar to charge a battery that size?

Another question, I need to verify which converter we have, but according to the build sheet it is a Progressive Dynamics PD-9260. It appears to be a 60 amp converter but not LiFePO4 compatible. So if I do upgrade batteries, do I need to go back with a 60 amp charger or would a 40 amp be sufficient and just take longer to fully charge?
    Last edited by cnote72; 12-03-2023, 03:43 PM.
    Craig & Theresa
    2022 Ford F350, SRW, CCSB, 7.3L, 4.30 rear axle, Lariat Ultimate, 4x4, Ford Pro Trailer Backup Assist, factory gooseneck 5th wheel prep package
    New to us 2021 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS using a B&W Companion slider hitch

You do not need a specific amperage charger for battery charging, lower amperage longer charge time. However the amperage output of the converter will affect DC usage in the RV. When using a stock wet cell battery high amperage draws will make the converter/charger "work" harder, this should not be an issue with Lithium batteries as they have larger amperage output than wet cell batteries.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Country Campers So basically get a Progressive Dynamics 60 amp (or other brand) LiFePO4 compatible 60 amp charger so it’s just a matter of swapping “like for like”?
      Craig & Theresa
      2022 Ford F350, SRW, CCSB, 7.3L, 4.30 rear axle, Lariat Ultimate, 4x4, Ford Pro Trailer Backup Assist, factory gooseneck 5th wheel prep package
      New to us 2021 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS using a B&W Companion slider hitch

Comment

When GDRV specs out a converter, they look at the DC loads in addition to the battery charging function. Your converter is 60 amps and will run things like the heater fan, appliance circuit boards, lights, stereo, LP gas detector AND charge the battery. They also match the wiring to the available current from the converter. If you change from a 60 amp converter, consider the following:

Going lower: Will you have enough power to run all your 12V demands at the same time, and charge the battery?
        Going larger: The wire size in the RV may not be sized to accommodate a larger current flow.

Check out Progressive Dynamics conversion information:
        https://www.progressivedyn.com/lithi...acement-units/

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Yes you can switch from the stock converter/charger to a 60 amp Lithium compatible version and not change anything. You will probably yield about 30 amps of charge going to the battery. I would however suggest that you do some more homework on if/when you want to add solar or a larger battery bank.

Brian
          Brian & Michelle
          2018 Reflection 29RS
          2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Country Campers TucsonJim Thanks for the info. For now I will probably just go like for like. As far as solar, that would be down the road, wife likes to glamp, so probably would need minimal solar for charging the battery. Don’t foresee a lot or any boondocking any time soon. Maybe once we retire and travel lots more, by then will probably want a new truck and 5th wheel. Current 337RLS has the wiring for solar to the roof and for an inverter, but not sure of wire size to how many or size of panels I would be able to add.
            Craig & Theresa

Comment

lead acid batteries don't play well together when you mix old and new. a 12 volt battery that has been down to 9 volts is toast.
              2021 Solitude 390RK
              No truck - don't travel

Comment

Originally posted by cnote72 View Post
                Country Campers TucsonJim Thanks for the info. For now I will probably just go like for like. As far as solar, that would be down the road, wife likes to glamp, so probably would need minimal solar for charging the battery. Don’t foresee a lot or any boondocking any time soon. Maybe once we retire and travel lots more, by then will probably want a new truck and 5th wheel. Current 337RLS has the wiring for solar to the roof and for an inverter, but not sure of wire size to how many or size of panels I would be able to add.
                Your 337 will have 10 AWG wire in the solar prep wiring. That can accommodate approximately 1000 watts of solar as long as you wire the panels in series.

Jim
                Jim and Ginnie
                2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Just to update, second battery was bad and left it with Batteries Plus. Kept checking LiTIme website but the 230aH was always SOLD OUT. Happened to check last night and it was back in stock, got one coming. Still need to go out to our storage site and verify converter before ordering a new one. I think just having the LiFePO4 battery will relieve some anxiety about whether or not the batteries would be charged to run the landing gear or something not functioning properly because they died or wouldn't hold a charge.
                  Craig & Theresa

Comment

Looks like they have one nice flash sale going on right now.

https://www.litime.com/?gad_source=1...hoCrb8QAvD_BwE
                    Joseph
                    Tow
                    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                      Looks like they have one nice flash sale going on right now.

https://www.litime.com/?gad_source=1...hoCrb8QAvD_BwE
                      They also offer a Veterans discount and I had a code for 8% off, could only use one or the other. Use discount code, save8Kandy
                      Craig & Theresa

Comment

Thanks for the code.
                        Joseph
                        Tow
                        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                        X