Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anderson SB 120 connector, no compatibility between colors - Caution!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anderson SB 120 connector, no compatibility between colors - Caution!

I learned something today and thought I would pass it on. I thought that all SB 120 connector colors were interchangeable. In other words red would fit with a gray, or blue to Yellow. Nope! they only mate up with the other half of the same color.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1775s.jpg Views:	0 Size:	99.3 KB ID:	124855
    The outside dimensions of theses SB120 connectors is the same, however look closely at the center pin and slot. They are all different. Theses are Real Anderson connectors too and not knockoffs. So be sure you order the same colors if your putting together multiple attachments

I found out in going through my supply of Anderson connectors I had on hand when fabricating an extension cord to power my cooler with 12V.. At least this time I checked by trying to plug the other colors into mt DC_DC plug in the truck bed . See post #286 on page 18 of this thread https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...project/page18 It has a red Anderson 120 connector

So what was I up to. I want to plug in my Dometic CXF3 75DZ fridge/freezer, In the truck I plug it into the 12V power point plug. We had it in the back seat area, but as I am taking Emma (GSD) with us to Mississippi ans want to take the cooler I need a 12V source in the bed, I have the DC-DC plug there so why not use it. The unit only pulls about 5 amp if I remember correctly so I fabricated an extension cord with the Anderson connector on one end and power point socket on the other.

I used 10 awg wire I had and the power point socket is rated for 20A

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1769s.jpg Views:	0 Size:	132.7 KB ID:	124856 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1770s.jpg Views:	0 Size:	128.8 KB ID:	124857 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1772s.jpg Views:	0 Size:	133.3 KB ID:	124859
    End connections made up. The smallest AWG pin for the SB 120 connectors is 6 awg so I folded over (doubled) the 10awg wire before crimping - worked well. I used heat shrink connectors and that added heat shrink tubing over everything.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1774s.jpg Views:	0 Size:	138.7 KB ID:	124858 Final assembly with loom over everything. I guess I should test it before we leave

Hopefully this helps someone else when they think about using the Anderson's for a project.

Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Keith, how do you plan to power the camper??? I don't see a splitter in there.....

Why not build a 7 way tap since you are not using the 12V in the 7 way?

Buy one of these: https://www.amazon.com/POLLAK-12-727...s%2C128&sr=8-4 then immediately pull it apart and tap in to the 12V with your power port (cigarette lighter plug).
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
      Keith, how do you plan to power the camper??? I don't see a splitter in there.....

Why not build a 7 way tap since you are not using the 12V in the 7 way?

Buy one of these: https://www.amazon.com/POLLAK-12-727...s%2C128&sr=8-4 then immediately pull it apart and tap in to the 12V with your power port (cigarette lighter plug).
      This is a shore tern solution without the 5th wheel. I plan to install a water resistant power point plug in the bed sidewall. Probably do it when I install the bulk head fitting for the DC-DC power. Looking for a 30A version. I will run a separate fused power feed from the battery.

Now as to your suggestion - Hmmmmm I could use the bumper plug as when the trailer is on I use the bed plug. I have the wire and fuse already, just need to find a marine power point plug in the 30A range. Why 30A - so I can run my Viair air compressor off of it. I want it always hot. Ill have a spare plug when I get around to my Mctunning install, but that would not be as neat as a bulkhead power point plug.
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Working...
      X