RV Lock Box Installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RV Lock Box Installation

Has anyone installed an RV Lock Box to replace their plastic battery box?

I bought one for my Momentum 23G sized to fit 2 Group 27 batteries. The box is wider than the L-brackets the plastic battery boxes currently sit it, so RV Lock Box says to just put the metal box on top of the L-brackets and screw down through the bottom of the box and into the bottom of the L-bracket. This leaves a 1.5" gap between the bottom of the box and top of the L-bracket.

Has anybody done it this way? It seems like a bad idea. My plan was to get some square-tube aluminum 1.5" wide, but that in the L-bracket channel, but the box on top of the aluminum, and screw through that into the L-bracket, thereby taking up that space and making a more solid install.

Any comments on the RV Lock Box installation suggestions or my plans?
    2022 Momentum 23G
    2018 Ford F150 3.5L

TucsonJim Installed a battery lock box, maybe he will have some input.

Instead of the aluminum you could use some pressure treated wood or even have the L brackets moved to fit your box. The only thing I do not like about the aluminum is it will cause corrosiong of the bolts that you will use, even stainless steel will corrode.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

If you have a local plastic supplier you may be able to get some 1-1/2" thick drops to fill the void. They are available on Amazon and a few other places. Kinda expensive for specific sizes, but drops may be cheap if you can find a local supplier.

Even look for composite decking installers in your area, if they have a job going on you might get un-usable to them drops.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

I actually used locking bars on my three plastic battery boxes. They worked great for me. That was several years ago, and I don't remember the vendor I purchased them from.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Locks.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	128377

Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Country Campers - Why will the aluminum inserts cause stainless steel bolts to corrode? I thought that using wood, even pressure treated stuff, could lead to a rotting issue.

Jlawles2 - I was also looking at a composite filler as well. It was more expensive than the aluminum which is why I was leaning toward aluminum. The composite decking idea is a good one.

TucsonJim - I have been using the locking bars just like yours for the last 2 years, but hated the wrestling match I had to go through every time I wanted to relock them.

Thanks for the thoughts guys!
          2022 Momentum 23G
          2018 Ford F150 3.5L

Comment

BadgerBiker - When you mix aluminum and steel, you can experience a condition known as "galvanic corrosion". Since the steel is a more noble metal, the aluminum can corrode.

Here's a good article on the process:
            https://www.albanycountyfasteners.co...-and-aluminum/

Jim
            Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

BadgerBiker You always have the option to cut the bars off and mount the box directly to the tongue. Cheap, effective, also saves height for removal clearances.
              Joseph
              Tow
              South of Houston Texas

Comment

I laid 2 treated 2x4s (painted black) on top of the frame and put a diamond plate lock tool box on top of that. 8 inch bolts went thru the bottom of the box, thru the 2x4s, and then into the existing holes in the old battery holder angle iron. Two rubber padded padlocks secure the contents. (I removed the existing lock hasp and installed 2 new ones on the sides.) My batteries are in the basement pass-through so I just keep leveling blocks, a bottle jack, and other misc. light stuff in it. Box - Amazon.com: MOTORHOT 49" Truck Pickup Aluminum Storage Box Bed Underbody Aluminum 5 Patterns Trailer RV Tools Heavy Duty Aluminum Tool RV ATV Trailer Storage Boxes : Automotive The box is "OK" for my needs but a little wimpy for rough handling. The 2x4s under it add a lot of support. I had to scootch the propane tanks up an inch to give it room. It could be a little less in width to give you more clearance in reeeaaly sharp turns. Don't ask me why though 😒.​
                Mitchell & Kitty
                2022 Imagine 2670MK
                2024 Ram 2500 6.7 diesel

Comment

I wound up ordering some HDPE that is 1.5" thick: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1.

Not sure why using green treated wood made me nervous for rusting, but it did. I can report back on how the stuff worked once the weather gets a little more Spring-like here in WI.
                  2022 Momentum 23G
                  2018 Ford F150 3.5L

Comment

I suggest gutting grooves and holes in the HDPE to help with moisture shedding. I know rubber will hold moisture between it and a metal surface. Makes paint do funny things. The grooves and holes allow air to get through so the moisture has a way to escape.
                    Joseph
                    Tow
                    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                    X