Transcend 245RL requirements to hook up to my home’s electrical outlet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transcend 245RL requirements to hook up to my home’s electrical outlet

What requirements will I need to adequately power my 245RL if living in my RV for 6 months. Thanks

If your unit is 30 amp you will need a plug in for that, same for 50 amp. Make sure if you have 50 amp to get the proper wiring for this, I recommend a competent electrician for both.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Mine is a 30amp, so sounds like I need an electrician to add an outlet to my home correct? I’m very new to this RV life and plan to have hooked up to my house for my son for the next year. I have no idea what I’m doing LOL. So would a new 50amp plug be the way to go?

Comment

Originally posted by rhotwire View Post
        Mine is a 30amp, so sounds like I need an electrician to add an outlet to my home correct? I’m very new to this RV life and plan to have hooked up to my house for my son for the next year. I have no idea what I’m doing LOL. So would a new 50amp plug be the way to go?
        No just have the electrician wire for a 30 amp RV plug. Make sure that you also maintain the battery, check fluid levels every 3 months. You will also want to keep the tank drain valves closed until they need emptied, especially the black tank. If you leave the valves open the solids will collect and not drain from the tanks. For the black tank, after draining, fill with 10 gallons of water, RV toilets do not use a lot of water and you want water in the black tank to help dissolve the solids.

Maybe a little more info than the electric question but staying stationary there are things that will help you.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Awesome I really appreciate your advice and tips !!

Comment

I installed a 30 amp outlet for my trailer. In our jurisdiction, a permit had to be issued and a final inspection performed by the county building department. A licensed and bonded electrician should know what needs to be done to keep you legal and safe.

Jim
            Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by rhotwire View Post
              Awesome I really appreciate your advice and tips !!
              If you want to dig a little deeper and learn even more about your RV's electrical system, Mike Sokol's website has seemingly endless information: https://rvelectricity.com/ Sign up for his newsletter, too.

If you're willing to spend $15, his book covers the basics (and more). It's one of the first books I read related to my RV. https://www.amazon.com/No-Shock-Zone.../dp/0990527913

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	73
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	129271
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
              2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

It is important to make sure that whoever installs this outlet understands that a 30A RV outlet is a 120 volt connection. In “residential terms” an electrician unfamiliar with RV requirements might expect a 30A outlet to be 240 volt . . . which is a common home clothes dryer connection.

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I would suggest to plan for the future and have the electrician drop the wires for a 50 amp circuit. Then using a 30 amp breaker and the TT30R (travel trailer 30 amp plug) wire it for the camper ensuring it's 120VAC.

The Plug is actually called a NEMA TT-30R Available at most home supply centers and hardware stores. https://www.homedepot.com/p/ELEGRP-3...y3aelAlXGXenZM

Later in life if you need to run a 240VAC welder, electric car charger port or 50 amp trailer you have an external outlet simply by having the breaker and plug swapped over.

If friends with a 30amp camper come by and need to plug in, you can run splitter to supply them power https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Cord-...UaAlSlEALw_wcB
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                  Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                  X