Select between two shoreline inputs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Select between two shoreline inputs

For reasons I won't go into here, I installed a second 30 amp power inlet on the opposite side of our Transend RV Trailer. Now, I would like to be able to choose which one I use, but I don't know if I should install a switch to toggle between the two or just wire them both up together. If I do use a switch, are there any suggestions as to what I should use?

Originally posted by Oldguy001 View Post
    For reasons I won't go into here, I installed a second 30 amp power inlet on the opposite side of our Transend RV Trailer. Now, I would like to be able to choose which one I use, but I don't know if I should install a switch to toggle between the two or just wire them both up together. If I do use a switch, are there any suggestions as to what I should use?
    How about installing an ATS (Automatic Transfer Switch)? This way, if the "impossible" happens and both connections are powered (by accident) the ATS will automatically set the input to the side wired as the primary.

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I agree with Howard. Plus if some one opens the door for the one with out a plug in it there would be bare studs sticking out that would have power, bad if you have little ones around that are curious. Anything to stop power from getting to the unused receptacle would be best.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

If you already have both input wires ran to the same location that is easily accessible, then installing a 2 pole rotary switch is a no brainer to prevent accidental electrocution through the powered male input connector not in use.

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Syst.../dp/B000MMC91O

You can leave the ground un switched but I might err on the side of safety and switch it anyway just in case you run across an extremely mis wired park.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

You could use a switch like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Baomain-Unive...3be6011714ccb9
          Ted
          2021 Reflection 310RLS
          2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment