Battery up grade

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by steveluannj View Post

Before you put in a disconnect, you would pull a wire from the solar panel to the charge controller before you disconnect the battery. Once you have the panels disconnected, you can splice in the breaker. Then just make sure you have the battery connected before you close the breaker. You can see my breaker to to the right of the charge controller- the small white box.

One reason I went with one large battery is that charging them in parallel you sometimes need to rebalance the 2 cells by charging each one all the way individually. If also saves on those huge expensive copper wires to connect them up. :-)
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4004.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	185.2 KB
ID:	131078
    I already have a solar disconnect.

Raymond and Dee Dee
    2024 Reflection 296 RDTS
    2023 Chevrolet 2500HD

Comment

Originally posted by reubenray View Post

I already have a solar disconnect.
      Perfect. Just disconnect solar before you uninstall old batteries. Charge new batteries to full SOC. Then install new batteries. Once new batteries are installed, reconnect solar.

A couple things to consider:

-Most new solar charge controllers have charging profiles for all types of batteries. Make sure you change battery type to lithium.
      -Most converter/chargers can charge all types of batteries. Make sure it is switched to lithium as well.

**Some of the newer chargers/charge controllers have an autosensing feature that will automatically sense the battery type and switch to the proper mode. Crossing fingers you have these.
      Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Originally posted by acoleman43 View Post

Perfect. Just disconnect solar before you uninstall old batteries. Charge new batteries to full SOC. Then install new batteries. Once new batteries are installed, reconnect solar.

A couple things to consider:

-Most new solar charge controllers have charging profiles for all types of batteries. Make sure you change battery type to lithium.
        -Most converter/chargers can charge all types of batteries. Make sure it is switched to lithium as well.

**Some of the newer chargers/charge controllers have an autosensing feature that will automatically sense the battery type and switch to the proper mode. Crossing fingers you have these.
        I read the instructions on both the solar charge controller and the converter/charger and I have one question. How do you change the setting if there is no power to either of them prior to connecting the battery?
        Raymond and Dee Dee
        2024 Reflection 296 RDTS
        2023 Chevrolet 2500HD

Comment

Originally posted by reubenray View Post

I read the instructions on both the solar charge controller and the converter/charger and I have one question. How do you change the setting if there is no power to either of them prior to connecting the battery?
          Oh...lol....good point.

You can connect to battery then make the change. It won't ruin the battery.
          Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Working...
          X