Clear All

The converter is a Progressive PD9360-C
    Raymond and Dee Dee
    2024 Reflection 296 RDTS
    2023 Chevrolet 2500HD

Comment

Originally posted by reubenray View Post
      The converter is a Progressive PD9360-C
      I am not sure what the C suffix is, most online seem to be the V. I would verify with Progressive to make sure it is LiFePO4 compatible. Assuming it is, then there is really no limit to the amount of battery you can get. The more battery you have, the longer your system will run off of them. The only difference will be how long it takes to replenish that use from the 60 amp converter, or your solar panel. If you do not boondock, and are just looking for fridge run time while driving or during a power outage, I would just get one or two batteries. I know TucsonJim got the larger LITime batteries (I believe the 230Ah unit) for his rig and seems happy with them. One of those would be the equivalent of probably four flooded lead acid batteries usable power.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

I am not sure what the C suffix is, most online seem to be the V. I would verify with Progressive to make sure it is LiFePO4 compatible. Assuming it is, then there is really no limit to the amount of battery you can get. The more battery you have, the longer your system will run off of them. The only difference will be how long it takes to replenish that use from the 60 amp converter, or your solar panel. If you do not boondock, and are just looking for fridge run time while driving or during a power outage, I would just get one or two batteries. I know TucsonJim got the larger LITime batteries (I believe the 230Ah unit) for his rig and seems happy with them. One of those would be the equivalent of probably four flooded lead acid batteries usable power.
        A group 24 flooded lead acid battery has approximately 45 useable amp hours of capacity. The LiTime batteries I purchased have 230 amp hours of useable capacity.230 ÷ 45 = 5.1 So you would need 5 group 24 lead acid batteries to equal one 230 amp LiFePO4 battery when it comes to capacity.

On LiTime 230 amp hour battery is currently listed at $620.
        Group 24 Interstate lead acid batteries retail for about $145 each. Five of them would cost $725.

The lead acid batteries will weigh much more than the LiFePO4 battery, and will only last about 1/3 as long.

I have four of the 230 amp hour LiTime batteries. They are only about three months old, so I can't comment on how well they hold up.

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

The LiTime 230 amp battery may be overkill for what I want. Would the 100 or 200 amp be an upgrade for what I currently have?
          Raymond and Dee Dee
          2024 Reflection 296 RDTS
          2023 Chevrolet 2500HD

Comment

reubenray - If you're always on shore power, 100aH would most likely be fine. If you boondock for a day or two and aren't using any high powered devices, 200aH should suffice.

Jim
            Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

The LiTime 230 amp battery may be overkill for what I want. Would the 100 or 200 amp be an upgrade for what I currently have?
              Do you do Harvest Hosts more than 1 day in a row?
              Rob, Betsy and Kali (Rhodesian Ridgeback)
              2022 Solitude-S 2930RL
              2023 GMC Sierra 3500HD Duramax Denali

Comment

Originally posted by rtrainer View Post

Do you do Harvest Hosts more than 1 day in a row?
                I have never stayed anywhere that I did not have at least 30 amp power. But I have been at campgrounds that have lost power. When this happened before I had a motorhome that had a generator. My trailer does not have a generator.
                Raymond and Dee Dee
                2024 Reflection 296 RDTS
                2023 Chevrolet 2500HD

Comment

We just upgraded from AGM to Lithium this month. Li-Time, watched Will Prowse cut one apart and we were sold. They have protections with their BMS. First we bought 2 100Ah (low temp cutoff version) and decided it wasn't going to be enough. We were able to return those 2 within our 30 day window and received our 2 230Ah Li-Time (low temp cutoff version) batteries today! I really didn't like our 1 AGM battery.
                  Julie & Doug (& Finley)
                  2023 Reflection 337RLS
                  2011 Ford F350 SD 6.7 turbo

Comment

I have never stayed anywhere that I did not have at least 30 amp power. But I have been at campgrounds that have lost power. When this happened before I had a motorhome that had a generator. My trailer does not have a generator.
                    Once you go lithium, you don't want to go back

To just survive a night, I would say one of the 230AH batteries will handle what you need. But you will need to charge the next day.
                    Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

You could go with one 100ah battery and then add a second if it wasn’t enough.
                      Scott & Mikaela
                      2022 375 RES
                      2020 F-350 DRW

Comment

Along with a new battery I want to get a lockbox for it and I am limited on space for it. Looking at Amazon there are four different 100ah batteries, three different 200ah models and one 230ah battery. I most likely will not buy one until the end of this season. With the freezing posts about Lithium batteries I am assuming I would need to remove the battery or batteries each winter.

While researching batteries I read that GD recommends Group 27 batteries. My dealer installed a Group 24 battery.
                        Last edited by reubenray; 03-22-2024, 08:18 AM.
                        Raymond and Dee Dee
                        2024 Reflection 296 RDTS
                        2023 Chevrolet 2500HD

Comment

Along with a new battery I want to get a lockbox for it and I am limited on space for it. Looking at Amazon there are four different 100ah batteries, three different 200ah models and one 230ah battery. I most likely will not buy one until the end of this season. With the freezing posts about Lithium batteries I am assuming I would need to remove the battery or batteries each winter.

While researching batteries I read that GD recommends Group 27 batteries. My dealer installed a Group 24 battery.
                          When placing a trailer in storage it's always a good idea to remove any battery whether lithium or not.

Lithium batteries can take cold temperatures, the limitation is they should not charge/discharge in freezing temperatures. That's why it's wise to purchase a lithium battery with cold temp protection. The BMS will shut off the battery once the temperature drops below acceptable levels.

Some lithium batteries will come with warmers built in. These warmers keep the battery warm in cold weather so you can continue to use the batteries.

as far as which group to purchase, the group is just the size of the battery,,,,it really doesn't matter what group size you get as long as it fits in the box/area and on your trailer. I looked for group size that worked best for the area I was going to place the batteries.
                          Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Originally posted by acoleman43 View Post

When placing a trailer in storage it's always a good idea to remove any battery whether lithium or not.

Lithium batteries can take cold temperatures, the limitation is they should not charge/discharge in freezing temperatures. That's why it's wise to purchase a lithium battery with cold temp protection. The BMS will shut off the battery once the temperature drops below acceptable levels.

Some lithium batteries will come with warmers built in. These warmers keep the battery warm in cold weather so you can continue to use the batteries.

as far as which group to purchase, the group is just the size of the battery,,,,it really doesn't matter what group size you get as long as it fits in the box/area and on your trailer. I looked for group size that worked best for the area I was going to place the batteries.
                            This is the reason I believe two 100ah batteries would be best for my old aging back. They are about half of the weight of an AGM battery. I need to first find a lockbox that will fit two batteries and my trailer setup.
                            Raymond and Dee Dee
                            2024 Reflection 296 RDTS
                            2023 Chevrolet 2500HD

Comment

This is the reason I believe two 100ah batteries would be best for my old aging back. They are about half of the weight of an AGM battery. I need to first find a lockbox that will fit two batteries and my trailer setup.
                              Lol. Yeah, I know what you mean. I'm not getting any younger either.

The main reason you won't see lead/acid batteries inside the trailer (In the living areas) is because they vent toxic fumes. They are required to be kept out of living areas. This is an other advantage of lithium based batteries. They do not vent toxic fumes. This is why some will place the lithium batteries under a bed or in the living space. It keeps the batteries warmer, easy to access, and leaves exterior space for a cool tongue box for dirty tools.

If you go with lithium, don't be afraid to find a good spot anywhere to place them.
                              Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Having a cool toolbox on the tongue of my trailer was my first idea. Then I went to storage to look and my idea was crushed. There is very little room between the propane tanks and the trailer overhang. A box could go there, but I would not be able to raise the lid. I did find a standard double battery box that I could use on the existing "L" angles where the current battery box is. My next step will be deciding on which LiTime batteries to get.
                                Raymond and Dee Dee
                                2024 Reflection 296 RDTS
                                2023 Chevrolet 2500HD

Comment

Working...
                                X