Wiring Diagram and locations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring Diagram and locations

I just purchased a 2019 395M with Gen Set.... i am currently designing the SOLAR system and want to install a whole house inverter..... I need to add a 2nd Transfer Switch for the Inverter and need to know the location of the primary switch.... I am assuming its behind the Breaker box... but do not want to rip things apart until sure... BTW its a 50amp House... i would like to find the wiring diagram as well....
    2019 Grand Design 395M 2022 Silverado Dually

Originally posted by nwredneck253 View Post
    ... i would like to find the wiring diagram as well....
    So would the other 100,000+ GD owners. Wiring diagrams for legacy trailers don't exist (as documented in the Welcome Letter as this is a FAQ).

I hope you'll take the time to document these upgrades and post the results here. The power of an owner's forum is the sharing of information.

Howard

P.S. Welcome to the forum!

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by nwredneck253 View Post
      I just purchased a 2019 395M with Gen Set.... i am currently designing the SOLAR system and want to install a whole house inverter..... I need to add a 2nd Transfer Switch for the Inverter and need to know the location of the primary switch.... I am assuming its behind the Breaker box... but do not want to rip things apart until sure... BTW its a 50amp House... i would like to find the wiring diagram as well....
      I have a similar setup but not "whole house". In our 380FL, our primary (transfer) switch (ATS), that switches between shore power and generator, is behind the electrical panel in the wiring/plumbing compartment, behind the partition at the back of the front pass through storage.

You have probably figured all this out, so sorry for being repetitious, but here goes anyway.

In the primary ATS, the generator feeds the normally open (NO) input and the relay coil. Shore power feeds the normally closed (NC) input of the ATS. If the generator runs, it powers the panel regardless of whether or not shore power is available.

If I were doing what you are doing, I would want the priority to be 1- generator, 2-shore power, 3-inverter. This would require that shore power feeds the NO ATS input and the relay coil of the new ATS with the inverter feeding the NC input. If shore power is hot, shore power feeds the ATS output. The output of that new ATS would feed the NC input of the existing ATS while the generator would feed the NO input and the relay coil of the existing ATS. The output of the second ATS feed the panel.

Basically, the generator wiring stays the same while the shore power wire is moved to the new ATS and the output of the new ATS replaces the shore power input of the existing ATS.

A wiring diagram would be nice but you don't really need it for this job.
      2021 Solitude 380FL-R
      2022 Ram 3500 DRW

Comment

I would recommend a inverter with a built in transfer switch (I am partial to Victron but there are other options) then I would put this inverter between the output of the factory transfer switch and the distribution panel. That way you would be able to use the power assist features of the inverter (assuming its so equipped) with the generator or shore power.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Working...
        X