Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OneControl Limitations, Or Is It Just Me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OneControl Limitations, Or Is It Just Me?

Our Solitude has the Lippert OneControl touch panel, and I'm beginning to question its usefulness. I'm hoping someone has some thoughts:
    • We purchased the (optional) Lippert propane level detectors, which are advertised as "see your propane levels inside your coach via OneControl." That seems extremely misleading because the OneControl panel doesn't appear to support them. Of course, they work with the app, but who wants to go looking around for a phone when you're relaxing in front of the TV? It seems much more logical to tap the panel to see the levels when we walk by. I keep thinking, "Surely, there must be a way to add these Lippert "extras" to Lippert's own panel," but I keep coming up empty.
    • The OneControl functionality (panel) not only seems limited, but redundant, since the physical switches providing the exact same functionality are on the Grand Design switch panel that's not more than three feet away. In other words, the OneControl panel (at least with our floor plan) brings nothing to the party, which again, leaves me feeling I'm "missing something."
    • The panel seems to beg for internet connectivity, but I can't find how (or if) it can be connected to our WiFi (I've installed mobile internet and a router). Right now, for example, if it suddenly gets windy, and I want to retract the awnings, I have to be within the (very limited) range of BlueTooth to use the phone app. If we're down the street at a grocery store, or around town and unexpected gusts suddenly appear, it seems we're in trouble (again, leading me to suspect I may be missing something).
    • Some of the things it would be most helpful with (opening and closing the Maxxair vents, for example) simply aren't there.
    I'm an old retired electronics engineer, and I've put together my own "home" automation (Home Assistant running on a Raspberry Pi installed in the utility space in the belly of the Solitude). I can now use that to control the MaxxAir fans and many of the interior lights at this point, turn on the water heater in the morning, etc. So, part of me is thinking I might be better off just ripping out the OneControl panel and replacing it with an internet-connected tablet that I can control from anywhere via the internet." But that would leave me feeling like the panel was nothing more than an over-priced gimmick with very limited functionality.

And again, it's very possible I'm "missing something," and the panel has some of these basic capabilities I'm not aware of, and that aren't referenced in the documentatio

Looking forward to your thoughts & suggestions!

CaliforniaSolitude
    If we can get bob to chime in, he's done deep dives into this topic. TucsonJim has a new Solitude so it will be interesting to read his thoughts on your post, too.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by CaliforniaSolitude View Post
      Our Solitude has the Lippert OneControl touch panel, and I'm beginning to question its usefulness. I'm hoping someone has some thoughts:
      • We purchased the (optional) Lippert propane level detectors, which are advertised as "see your propane levels inside your coach via OneControl." That seems extremely misleading because the OneControl panel doesn't appear to support them. Of course, they work with the app, but who wants to go looking around for a phone when you're relaxing in front of the TV? It seems much more logical to tap the panel to see the levels when we walk by. I keep thinking, "Surely, there must be a way to add these Lippert "extras" to Lippert's own panel," but I keep coming up empty.
      • The OneControl functionality (panel) not only seems limited, but redundant, since the physical switches providing the exact same functionality are on the Grand Design switch panel that's not more than three feet away. In other words, the OneControl panel (at least with our floor plan) brings nothing to the party, which again, leaves me feeling I'm "missing something."
      • The panel seems to beg for internet connectivity, but I can't find how (or if) it can be connected to our WiFi (I've installed mobile internet and a router). Right now, for example, if it suddenly gets windy, and I want to retract the awnings, I have to be within the (very limited) range of BlueTooth to use the phone app. If we're down the street at a grocery store, or around town and unexpected gusts suddenly appear, it seems we're in trouble (again, leading me to suspect I may be missing something).
      • Some of the things it would be most helpful with (opening and closing the Maxxair vents, for example) simply aren't there.
      I'm an old retired electronics engineer, and I've put together my own "home" automation (Home Assistant running on a Raspberry Pi installed in the utility space in the belly of the Solitude). I can now use that to control the MaxxAir fans and many of the interior lights at this point, turn on the water heater in the morning, etc. So, part of me is thinking I might be better off just ripping out the OneControl panel and replacing it with an internet-connected tablet that I can control from anywhere via the internet." But that would leave me feeling like the panel was nothing more than an over-priced gimmick with very limited functionality.

And again, it's very possible I'm "missing something," and the panel has some of these basic capabilities I'm not aware of, and that aren't referenced in the documentatio

Looking forward to your thoughts & suggestions!
      I published an "integration" for Home Assistant and OneControl, but it required the cloud gateway, which they don't ship with any more.

So I gave up. I have HA in the rig controlling all sorts if things, with the intent of getting rid of OneControl. I use Shelly 1's to control lights, Tempest for weather station, zigbee door contacts, temp/humidity, water detection, remote switches, power monitoring (120v) and outlet control. Linktap to control and monitor water flow, ESPHome to monitor my Hughes surge protector and my Mopeka/Lippert propane. GPS location (via Pepwave router) with dynamic weather and "home" location for presence, and so much more.

Projects in flight are remotely operated dump valves and tank level monitoring.

We have a Discord server server we talk shop frequently if you are so inclined.
      ==============
      Grand Design RV National Owners’ Rally: http://www.gdrvnationalrally.com
      Grand Design RV Mid-Atlantic Owners’ Rally: http://www.gdmarally.com
      Current GDRV: 2023 Solitude 391-DLR, Midnight FBP
      Previous GDRV's: 2016 Solitude 375RE, 2021 Momentum 397TH-R
      No tow vehicle!

Comment

The One Control in my 2024 Solitude appears to have been designed by an EE intern. Functionality is very poor other than using the blue tooth app to adjust lights or the awning while I'm sitting right outside the door. I don't even have the propane monitor capability on my simplistic panel or the app.

It's about as poorly designed and implemented as LCI's Tire Linc.

To monitor temperatures and propane levels, I use Ruuvi sensors for temp, and Mopeka sensors for the propane. Then I can monitor it through the Victron Cerbo system and the VRM portal via internet.

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

If you want to learn more about that OneControl you can sign-up for the course (free) on Lippert technion training at: https://lippert.learnupon.com/. I would also suggest you are looking to 'upgrade' your OneControl you can find Bob's Facebook group DIY Smart RV​. I bought one of the Gateways Modem (but I think the WiFi version does the same) from Lippert last year will be working on connecting it to Home Assistant.

These OneControl Panel are fixed functionality based on what is connected to them on a custom canbus communications protocol. There is a bit more functionality, but pretty limited. It is designed to pull you into the Lippert products and not open at all. I did some work on github to try and capture the challenge, but with Canadian Winter snow still coming every once in a while, it is still on hold. Even once I do get back in the trailer, I'm not hoping for a breakthru.

Keep up informed about what you end up doing ...

Darren

2022 GD Imagine 2670MK 2023 F-150 6 Lariat 3.5L Eco Blue Ox Sway Pro
          Darren & Kristy + Mojo Canada

Comment

Working...
          X