30 Amp power inlet...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 30 Amp power inlet...

My progressive industries hard wired surge suppressor began giving me an error while plugged in at home to my garage (20amp). It was telling me I had a ground problem and started resetting. When I used the bypass switch, everything appeared ok, but now I have no surge protection. So I began going thru the coach checking all known ground points in the wiring, in the breaker panel, behind the breaker panel, connections in the surge itself, connections at the multiplus, etc... Nothing found loose.

I then proceeded to check the dog bone adapter. Even replaced it with another one I had. Still a problem. Tried a different circuit in the garage. Still a problem. Starting to wonder if my 30amp power cord was at fault. Multimeter check showed continuity good on all three legs and no shorts. So I'm thinking, maybe the power inlet? Unscrewed the inlet to inspect it, the ground screw was so loose I'm surprised it didn't fall out.. Tightened it up and all seems to be good. The ground wire was inserted into the proper hole in the power inlet but was not tightened down causing what I believe was an intermittent ground. I will monitor this.

But that is not all and not the reason for this post. When I removed the 4 screws holding the inlet to the TT, the two top ones came out very easy and I discovered they were broke/cut? The two bottom screws were full length, being about 1 1/2" long. My first thought was to reinstall the longer screws in the top holes as I felt better having the top better secured (keeping water from getting past the gasket). But the longer screws would not go in. A quick examination of the hole and it looked like the two top screws were broke off?? So I started looking at ways I could get the broken screws out and found some "bits" that might work.

Then I started thinking about this again (and that's dangerous - lol) and looking at the "broken" screws again realized that they were both "broken" at the same length (about 3/4") which seemed very odd, just enough to go into the fiberglass skin of the TT, but not really enough to hold anything. Which leads me to the reason for this post. Could it be that the rear wall has a horizontal aluminum frame member just above where the hole was made for the power inlet and the top mounting holes for the inlet are in line with it? The factory didn't have a sheet metal screw handy and the installer simply broke off the wood screws??? Anyone have any insight to this??

I'm going to do a better inspection of this tonight when I get home. I got rained out last night.

Update: I was able to check this out better last night and found that the two top screws were indeed broken off inside. The breaks were such that there was not any part sticking out to grab. The top left one was put in at an angle that had part of the broken thread poking out of the hole made for the power inlet and the top right one was put in angled upward and slightly to the left. Still not sure how they broke but whatever...

I was able to get the broken pieces out by carefully enlarging the area around the visible end of the thread using a very small drill bit and a small pick to remove the debris. I took out just enough material around the broken screw to get a pair of very skinny needle nose pliers around it and slowly (with multiple attempts) turn it out.

My net step will be to fill in the holes made by the broken screws with JB Weld KwikWood. Once dried, I can redrill a pilot hole straight in and using new screws (obviously) re-secure the power inlet. The backing wood GD used is about 2" thick and the old screws only went in about 1/2 way. The new screws will be a little longer so that I bite into good wood as well as through the JB Weld.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Kathy&Jim_Imagine; 05-01-2024, 11:02 AM.
    Jim & Kathy
    2022 Imagine 2600RB
    2022 RAM 1500 Limited Longhorn, Hemi e-Torque, 3:92,
    trailer tow pkg, 4x air suspension, TT TPMS.

Jim - I pulled the print for your unit, and I believe I'm reading it correctly. It looks like your power inlet is on the rear of the coach and is closer to the driver's side. If so, the print shows there is a wood backer in that area. Please note the print snapshot below is from the inside looking out.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Backer.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	133100

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

TucsonJim - Thanks Jim. You are correct. Drivers side and rear of trailer. There is definitely a wood backer in there which was obvious when I pulled the power inlet out of the trailer. But I feel like there may be some framing above it? It just seems pretty strange that both of the top screws are broken/cut at the same length... I'm going to check this out better when I get home tonight. Either there are two broken screws stuck in the backer or some type of metal there. The drawing you provided does not show anything metal there so??? I'll take some pictures and I'll let you know what I find..
      Jim & Kathy
      2022 Imagine 2600RB

Comment

Jim, I checked the prints, and there is no structure shown.

Jim
        Last edited by TucsonJim; 04-30-2024, 12:29 PM.
        Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Kathy&Jim_Imagine -- check for EGS. See https://gdrvowners.com/forum/exterio...-it-in-your-rv for more on EGS.

What I'm thinking: there's EGS embedded in the wall for the ladder but it should be high enough to not interfere with the power plug backer. However, if a larger piece of EGS was installed perhaps that's what the bolt is striking?​

Howard
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
          2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

TucsonJim howson Jim, Thanks for checking. Gonna dig into this when I get home tonight. If it is broken screws, they are in deep enough that there is nothing to grab to remove them. I have a potential solution though. See the pics below.
            Howard, Not sure what EGS is, guessing a metal backing plate?
            Attached Files
            Jim & Kathy
            2022 Imagine 2600RB

Comment

howson Howard, sorry, I missed the video you sent with your message. Just watched it. Looks like its time for the magnet test... Thanks for the idea.

Jim
              Jim & Kathy
              2022 Imagine 2600RB

Comment

Kathy&Jim_Imagine - EGS = Electro Galvanized Sheet metal.

Jim
                Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                  Jim - I pulled the print for your unit, and I believe I'm reading it correctly. It looks like your power inlet is on the rear of the coach and is closer to the driver's side. If so, the print shows there is a wood backer in that area. Please note the print snapshot below is from the inside looking out.

Jim
                  Jim,

Are there prints available for all models? How would one go about getting them? I’ve been leery about mounting anything on the walls without knowing what’s behind the interior paneling - for example, towel bar or toilet paper holder.

Tom
                  2021 Solitude 380FL-R
                  2022 Ram 3500 DRW

Comment

Working...
                  X