Wiring fifth wheel backup lights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring fifth wheel backup lights

I'm looking to install backup lights so I can see better backing in my GD 295RL when I arrive at campsites late at night. I realized that I cannot use the 4-pin wiring harness as there is no backup lights. So do I need to run wiring all the way to the converter at the front of the FW to power these lights? This is my first post and appreciate everyone's help and input. My trailer is a Reflection 295RL.
    Rob & Patty
    2019 Ford F250 6.7l Diesel 4X4 Short box - Reese Elite 16k hitch
    2020 GD Reflection 150 - 295RL
    Counting down the months until spending winters full-timing!

Originally posted by RC621 View Post
    I'm looking to install backup lights so I can see better backing in my GD 295RL when I arrive at campsites late at night. I realized that I cannot use the 4-pin wiring harness as there is no backup lights. So do I need to run wiring all the way to the converter at the front of the FW to power these lights? This is my first post and appreciate everyone's help and input. My trailer is a Reflection 295RL.
    Rob

Welcome to the Forum.

There are 2 ways you could go about this.

One is to run a wire from the battery bus bar in the front storage back to the lights that you will install. This will require a switch and an inline fuse.

Another way is to run a wire up into the silver metal box that is located where the pin box bolts to the frame , follow the cord that you attach to your truck and you will find this box. You will be looking for a yellow wire that is not attached to anything. This should be the back up light wire from the truck, should be pin 7 the big one in the middle of the plug. If you attach your wire for your lights to this pin then when you put the truck in reverse your lights will come on , they will come on every time you back up. This would save you from getting out to turn a switch on.

Being as you have to run one wire the whole way back there I would suggest running a white ground wire with it so you will have a good ground , important with a 12 volt system.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by RC621 View Post
      Oh, no! - not another Rob! Cate&Rob , can you start assigning numbers to all of us, please?

Seriously, though - welcome to the forum, (yet another) Rob.

(Another) Rob
      Rob & Laura
      U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
      2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
      2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
      (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
      Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Rob - welcome to the forum - just ignore the other Rob Second Chance , but pay attention to the original Cate&Rob . Brian gave excellent advice on using the backup wire from the truck (yellow wire in junction box). I use marine wire in my projects. At the rear of the trailer under each corner you should be able to trace the existing wires to the lights. Good luck on you project - its on my to do list. Please let us know how it goes.

Click image for larger version  Name:	32S.jpg Views:	0 Size:	129.5 KB ID:	13634
        Last edited by Yoda; 03-01-2020, 03:27 PM.
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

If we come up with "Rob numbers" how are we going to decide the order of the numbers LOL!

Something to think about if you are wiring backup lights on your trailer . . . there are lots of things to keep an eye on when backing a trailer in the dark . . . not just behind the trailer.

I installed a series of 10 "penny lights" down each side of the trailer and connected these to a circuit controlled by a wireless key fob and a dimmer. I find that I use these lights all the time while camping as well as when maneuvering the trailer in the dark. These could be wired to come on through the truck reverse circuit as well, if required.

Installing the lights in the plastic facia was easy with a stepped drill bit. Wiring them all together including the ones that go in and out with the slides, took much longer.

Rob
          Attached Files
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
            If we come up with "Rob numbers" how are we going to decide the order of the numbers LOL!

Rob
            Age? I would probably get one of the higher numbers...

(Another) Rob

Rob & Laura
            U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
            2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
            2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
            (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
            Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

Something to think about if you are wiring backup lights on your trailer . . . there are lots of things to keep an eye on when backing a trailer in the dark . . . not just behind the trailer.

I installed a series of 10 "penny lights" down each side of the trailer and connected these to a circuit controlled by a wireless key fob and a dimmer. I find that I use these lights all the time while camping as well as when maneuvering the trailer in the dark. These could be wired to come on through the truck reverse circuit as well, if required.

Installing the lights in the plastic facia was easy with a stepped drill bit. Wiring them all together including the ones that go in and out with the slides, took much longer.

Rob
              With that many lights, do you think a relay would be advisable? On my truck I have a set of high power flood lights wired into the reverse circuit. I had to go to a relay asI blew the the fuse first time I used them.
              2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

With that many lights, do you think a relay would be advisable? On my truck I have a set of high power flood lights wired into the reverse circuit. I had to go to a relay asI blew the the fuse first time I used them.
                These LED lights draw amazingly low current. The specs that I can find (eTrailer) show 0.046 amps per light. So, 20 of them is less than 1 amp. In my installation, I am actually using a relay because it is part of the wireless control unit, but no relay would be required for 1 amp.

Rob
                Cate & Rob
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

[QUOTE=Cate&Rob;n13651]

These LED lights draw amazingly low current. The specs that I can find (eTrailer) show 0.046 amps per light. So, 20 of them is less than 1 amp. In my installation, I am actually using a relay because it is part of the wireless control unit, but no relay would be required for 1 amp.

Rob

Could you do a post on this light mod please?
                  Interested in the remote part mainly but the rest would be interesting as well.

Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

Could you do a post on this light mod please?
                    Interested in the remote part mainly but the rest would be interesting as well.

Brian
                    Hi Brian,

Attached is a better picture of what I call the "skirt lights". These are controlled by a switch at the main panel or by the remote. There are several versions of key fob remotes. Also attached is a picture of the four channel one that I use. (one on the boat and one on the RV) for exterior lights. This remote has an extendable antenna and a range of at least 100 ft. I use the four channels for 1) skirt lights, 2) awning lights, 3) front cap light (on the end of my flag pole) 4) underbody lights (yet to be installed) for my suspension camera.

Rob
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by Cate&Rob; 03-01-2020, 11:03 PM.
                    Cate & Rob
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Thanks for all the replies Brian and all the "Rob's" . Looks like I need to make another trip to the Auto parts or Marine store for supplies but I have a better idea of what I need to do. I appreciate the great info and ideas for the skirt lights. I really like that idea as maybe a part 2 to my first Mod.
                      Now I need to wait for warmer weather in the Great White North to get this done!

1 more question: I originally thought I would drop the underbelly sheets to run this wire and a backup camera wire for the Haloview RD7. After crawling around underneath the coach, I am thinking now to run them both in a conduit to protect them from road grime. If I attach it to the I-beam, it should be well protected. I assume this is how it is best done, so I only need to do it once?

I'll provide an update when done
                      Rob & Patty
                      2019 Ford F250 6.7l Diesel 4X4 Short box - Reese Elite 16k hitch
                      2020 GD Reflection 150 - 295RL
                      Counting down the months until spending winters full-timing!

Comment

Rob

I would use caution when attaching the conduit to the frame. If you drill thru the side of the frame you may damage some wiring or worse a holding tank of some kind. I believe that there is "space" between the frame and these items but would not rely on that. You could drop a small portion of the coroplast to see what you have to work with. Looking forward to see what you come up with.

Brian
                        Brian & Michelle
                        2018 Reflection 29RS
                        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
                        X