Water Pump Switch in Bathroom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
    ...and you have good electrical sources could you make recommendations.
    I've had good experiences with these folks: https://www.onlinecomponents.com/

Send them an email with your requirements and they'll respond with a recommendation.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Online.JPG
Views:	236
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	16828

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

HELP !!!
      I have been searching for a true 15A - 20A[SIZE=12px] momentary illuminated switch.
      Specifications here https://www.bluesea.com/products/792...Black_-_OFF-ON
      The Blue Sea switch looks to be made by Carlingtech - https://www.carlingtech.com/rocker-switches
      Momentary Illuminated are a bit harder to find.
      https://newwiremarine.com/product/re...pdt-momentary/
      https://spemco.com/all-rocker-switches/

Crimp connectors. Morris Products on Amazon are a good alternative to Panduit, Sta-kon.
      Gene and Kim
      2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
      2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

Originally posted by gbkims View Post

The Blue Sea switch looks to be made by Carlingtech - https://www.carlingtech.com/rocker-switches
        Momentary Illuminated are a bit harder to find.
        https://newwiremarine.com/product/re...pdt-momentary/
        https://spemco.com/all-rocker-switches/

Crimp connectors. Morris Products on Amazon are a good alternative to Panduit, Sta-kon.
        Thanks for the help
        Keith
        2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

I can appreciate and respect the fact that not everybody has spent many years living aboard ships like I have. Nevertheless, and especially, if I personally installed the power switch/button myself, I can assure you that considering the relatively small size of the bathroom (head) in an RV, I could find an non lighted power switch/button in the dark with zero difficulty. Even without years of experience at finding your way around in the dark when necessary, I’ll bet that after you did it only a few times you would probably be fully able to find it. So I’m wondering if the “juice is worth the squeeze” when it comes to the button/switch needing to be lighted. Best of luck with your research / project.

SCPO(SW), USN, (Ret)
          Dave and Sue
          2020 GD 2250RK
          2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
          Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
          GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
          SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Comment

Originally posted by Schiefswret View Post
            I can appreciate and respect the fact that not everybody has spent many years living aboard ships like I have. Nevertheless, and especially, if I personally installed the power switch/button myself, I can assure you that considering the relatively small size of the bathroom (head) in an RV, I could find an non lighted power switch/button in the dark with zero difficulty. Even without years of experience at finding your way around in the dark when necessary, I’ll bet that after you did it only a few times you would probably be fully able to find it. So I’m wondering if the “juice is worth the squeeze” when it comes to the button/switch needing to be lighted. Best of luck with your research / project.

SCPO(SW), USN, (Ret)
            Dave
            Thanks for the thoughts. Yep I could find it in the dark, but the light is to tell me I have it on. I am sort of jumping the water pump circuit (leaving existing 3 way alone) and need to know I have power on so I don't turn the other pump switches on and have a power back feed. Two power feeds in one circuit is not good. If I go with the momentary switch, the light is to indicate I have power to the pump when the switch is held in the on position. Momentary switches are OFF unless pushed, and return to OFF when released (spring loaded). Otherwise I am into an expensive set up as was posted at the other place recently, and I am not sure even that works. Its that or change everything over and try to wire 4 way 12v switches. I can do a 3 way, but 4 way might scramble the last gray cells I have left. This week I hope to trace how the pump is powered now and how the indicator lights are tied in. I am hoping I might be able to power the other on indicator lights to indicate I do have the pump on. Hope this better explains what I am up to.

I did find a switch (s) that will work.Thanks gbkims . I'll post the details later to make sure I guessed correctly. I'll wait to order - want to talk to their customer service first.
            2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Two power feeds in one circuit is not good.
              Hi Keith,

This is not a concern. Both power feeds come from the same 12V source. Pressing the momentary contact switch with the pump already running through the existing switch circuits will make absolutely no difference to the pump and will not blow a fuse.

As I described in a previous post, make sure that your lighted switch does NOT connect load to ground in the off position. There is a reason that the OE switches are not lighted and use separate lights.

Rob
              Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

Hi Keith,

This is not a concern. Both power feeds come from the same 12V source. Pressing the momentary contact switch with the pump already running through the existing switch circuits will make absolutely no difference to the pump and will not blow a fuse.

As I described in a previous post, make sure that your lighted switch does NOT connect load to ground in the off position. There is a reason that the OE switches are not lighted and use separate lights.

Rob
                Note quite sure I understand. If the lighted switch connects load to ground when off - the light would be on when the switch is off???? It been a long day getting gardens ready, so I may not be seeing the light

This is the switch I am considering (not momentary) https://spemco.com/v1d1at0b-single-p...right-red-led/ The switch rocker https://spemco.com/vvarc00-000-carli...d-square-lens/ and housing https://spemco.com/vms-01-carling-v-...ounting-panel/ are separate.That way the boss unit does not need to have me turn the pump on for her shower when she has stuff in her hair and......well don't ask. Just remember some of the old Lucy skits.

Keith

Afterthought - I will be talking with Spemco tomorrow and will ask that they send me a wiring diagram for the switch to power the LED when ON, and I will try and post it so I don't get my wires crossed. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Yoda
                  Hi Keith,

I tried to do something very similar to this on my boat. A momentary contact switch to bypass an existing on/off switch. Seemed pretty straight forward except that I had chosen a lighted momentary contact switch. In the “on” position input 12V is supplied to load. But . . . in the “off” position, the load was connected to the ground (for the switch light). This would short and blow the fuse when the original switch was turned on. I have no idea whether all switches are like this. I solved the problem by disconnecting the ground wire from the switch and doing without the light.

Rob
                  Cate & Rob
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I did see the Carling switches show Independent and/or Dependent lamp/led(s) for their switches.
                    I'm guessing by their data sheet that means independent of the switch contacts, or connected to the switch contacts if dependent

Drawing of how my water pump is wired. Doesn't mean that's how other ones are wired.
                    317RST Water Pump.pdf

Gene and Kim
                    2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
                    2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

Dave
                      Thanks for the thoughts. Yep I could find it in the dark, but the light is to tell me I have it on. I am sort of jumping the water pump circuit (leaving existing 3 way alone) and need to know I have power on so I don't turn the other pump switches on and have a power back feed. Two power feeds in one circuit is not good. If I go with the momentary switch, the light is to indicate I have power to the pump when the switch is held in the on position. Momentary switches are OFF unless pushed, and return to OFF when released (spring loaded). Otherwise I am into an expensive set up as was posted at the other place recently, and I am not sure even that works. Its that or change everything over and try to wire 4 way 12v switches. I can do a 3 way, but 4 way might scramble the last gray cells I have left. This week I hope to trace how the pump is powered now and how the indicator lights are tied in. I am hoping I might be able to power the other on indicator lights to indicate I do have the pump on. Hope this better explains what I am up to.

I did find a switch (s) that will work.Thanks gbkims . I'll post the details later to make sure I guessed correctly. I'll wait to order - want to talk to their customer service first.
                      Gotcha. Good luck.
                      Dave and Sue
                      2020 GD 2250RK
                      2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
                      Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
                      GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
                      SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Comment

Originally posted by gbkims View Post
                        I did see the Carling switches show Independent and/or Dependent lamp/led(s) for their switches.
                        I'm guessing by their data sheet that means independent of the switch contacts, or connected to the switch contacts if dependent

Drawing of how my water pump is wired. Doesn't mean that's how other ones are wired.
                        [ATTACH]n16949[/ATTACH]
                        Thanks Gene - gives me an idea of how they might have done mine. There is a chance I can light the switch LED from the existing indicator light circuit.

Comment

Yoda
                          Hi Keith,

I tried to do something very similar to this on my boat. A momentary contact switch to bypass an existing on/off switch. Seemed pretty straight forward except that I had chosen a lighted momentary contact switch. In the “on” position input 12V is supplied to load. But . . . in the “off” position, the load was connected to the ground (for the switch light). This would short and blow the fuse when the original switch was turned on. I have no idea whether all switches are like this. I solved the problem by disconnecting the ground wire from the switch and doing without the light.

Rob
                          I think I understand now. Thanks to gbkims there is a chance I can light the LED from the existing separate indicator light circuit. More to come
                          Keith

Comment

That way in the middle of the night I can get a bit of water . . .
                            Hi Keith,
                            Back to where this discussion started . . .

There is another (even quieter) way accomplish this. An accumulator tank added to the water system will supply water pressure for a few flushes, without turning on the pump at all. Just a thought . . .

Rob

Attached Files
                            Cate & Rob
                            2015 Reflection 303RLS
                            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Hi Keith,
                              Back to where this discussion started . . .

There is another (even quieter) way accomplish this. An accumulator tank added to the water system will supply water pressure for a few flushes, without turning on the pump at all. Just a thought . . .

Rob
                              That's a mod on my "wish list". Probably should do it in conjunction with replacing all the soft hoses.
                              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I don't know Rob - another project to add to my wish list

I have been talking (emails) to Spemco and I am learning a lot. Still a few questions to answer, but it appears I can wire the light to come on if other switches are on - have it act like the others except for turning the pump off if another switch is on. More to come. I definitely will post what I find out.

Comment

Working...
                                X