Generator with shore power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Generator with shore power

We are at a site wit 30 amp power and temps in the 90s. I can only run 1 AC with the existing power. If I had a generator, could I run that with the shore power to get the amps to 50 so I can run both ACs? This is an external generator. I know this was not possible with my class A because of an automatic transfer switch.
    Dennis and Pat w/Lady & the Prince - Western New York
    2018 Solitude 310gk - 2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW - Blue Ox Super Ride

Though it is possible, it’s not simple. 50A service is actually 2 50A legs. You could potentially run one leg off a generator and the other off of shore power, but there are probably safety issues that you’d have to figure out in addition to non-trivial wiring.

If you have one AC running you should be able to bring the second one up on 30A service. Just don’t run the refrigerator or water heater on AC or try to use the microwave. Keep one set to run all the time and let the second one cycle so you never have both trying to start at the same time. Easy starts on the units would help.
    Last edited by Jkwilson; 06-10-2020, 11:29 PM.
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

Originally posted by DennisK View Post
      We are at a site wit 30 amp power and temps in the 90s. I can only run 1 AC with the existing power. If I had a generator, could I run that with the shore power to get the amps to 50 so I can run both ACs? This is an external generator. I know this was not possible with my class A because of an automatic transfer switch.
      Install EasyStarts in your air conditioners. As suggested by Jkwilson , run your hot water heater and refrigerator on propane. In this configuration you'll be able to run both air conditioners. I can start (and run) both of mine off of a 3000W inverter (25A), so 30A shore power should be no problem. Note that running both air conditioners off my inverter was just a test and not a solution--I'd need a huge battery bank to run them for any length of time so it's not feasible. The point is I didn't overload the inverter with the EasyStarts installed.

Here's a thread with more info: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...s-2019-315rlts

MicroAir's install video:

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
      2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by DennisK View Post
        howson is right, and that is what I would do, but as an answer to your question this would be the safest way to do what you ask:

If you’re adventurous and technically savvy, you could pull the wires for the second A/C unit out of the breaker panel and put a plug on the end, this would just need to be a regular 120v 15 amp plug. Then plug a heavy extension cord into this and plug it into your generator. Fire up the generator and it runs the second A/C unit and the rest of the rig runs on the shore power.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Working...
        X