Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Replace Incandescent Tail Lights w/LEDs (2019 315RLTS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replace Incandescent Tail Lights w/LEDs (2019 315RLTS)

On a recent trip I was told there was a remarkable difference between my truck's brake lights (good) and my trailer's brake lights (bad). Today I swapped the trailer's tail lights with Optronics part # RVSTLB61 (w/license plate holder) and RVSTLB60 (passenger side). They are exactly the same size as the original lights--even the screw holes line up.

This is not exactly an original mod (lots of other threads on multiple sites) but I do have a couple of notes that may help if you choose to do this mod, too.

1) A plastic trim (automobile) removal tool makes a great sealant scraper. A few times around and then a good scrubbing with 91% rubbing alcohol prepared the surface for the new sealant.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN5553 (Large).JPG Views:	0 Size:	61.0 KB ID:	2281

2) Make sure and dig into the hole in the camper to pull out ALL of the wires. They might be tucked back inside out of view. Do this so you can attach the original trailer wires to the new LEDs, not the old light's wires. (In other words the trailer side of the crimped wires.) Also, I found it easy to do a one-for-one swap of the wires. For example, whatever trailer wire(s) were connected to the green wire on the old light (regardless of their color coming out of the trailer) were attached to the green wire on the new LED light. I did the same for the LED's black and white wires. In other words, ignore the colors on the trailer side--if they were connected to the (black, white or green) wire on the old light then connect the same wire(s) to the (black, white or green) wire on the new LED light.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN5549 (Large).JPG Views:	0 Size:	84.3 KB ID:	2282

3) I resealed the base of the lights to the camper using Geocel GC28100 Pro Flex Rv Flexible Clear. As recommended by Rob (known here as moderator Cate&Rob) I sealed the screws before reinserting them. (On a side note some of the screws exhibited signs of rust on the screw threads!)

4) Nothing special about connecting the wires--I used weatherproof crimped butt splices and overlayed each connection with another layer of heat shrink.

Here's a shot with only side completed--can you tell which one is the LED and which one is the OEM? (This is with the brakes applied. Sorry about the vertical pole in the middle of the picture--that's an umbrella--it's HOT outside.)

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCN5550 (Large).JPG Views:	0 Size:	136.7 KB ID:	2283

One more note--I'm sorry to report that I had a bad experience with etrailer.com and these lights. Their shipping department tossed them all in a box with no protection. One was broken and they had to send a replacement. Others had scratches on the lenses. etrailer is well aware of my dissatisfaction and they know I am posting this experience here on this forum. They've been great in the past so I will order from them again--but if you order lights from them insist on proper packaging with the order agent (call--don't order online).

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0010 (Large).JPG Views:	0 Size:	137.5 KB ID:	2284

-Howard

P.S. I had to send back the marker lights--I got the wrong color base! I need black, not white. (Oops.) I'll post about replacing the marker lights in the future.
    Last edited by howson; 07-25-2019, 01:09 PM.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Here's one more picture that may make some of the verbiage in the first post make more sense--note how the wire color on the TRAILER side of the splice does not correlate with the wire color on the LIGHT side of the crimp. Do one connection at a time or it will get confusing real quick!

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5547 (Large).JPG
Views:	1632
Size:	171.3 KB
ID:	2286
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine

Comment

I have had terrible luck with eTrailer shipping. The typically place an item in the box and add one piece of paper for padding. I received more than one damaged item from them. They are my last resort if I need to buy something.

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
        I have had terrible luck with eTrailer shipping. The typically place an item in the box and add one piece of paper for padding. I received more than one damaged item from them. They are my last resort if I need to buy something.

Jim
        I totally agree Jim. Before I added disc brakes I replaced my OEM greased brakes with a new set of self adjusting units from eTrailer. Check out this box exactly as I opened it.

3 of the 4 backing plates had damaged pads and disconnected springs!!

Absolutely ridiculous.
        Last edited by Paul & Deb; 07-25-2019, 03:44 PM.
        Paul and Deb Cervone
        2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
        2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE - SOLD; 2015 Reflection 337RLS - SOLD
        2016 GMC Denali 3500 SRW

Comment

Thanks Howard. I like the direct replacement option.

Jim

Comment

Howard

Could you give us the mounting hole centers from the light you removed please?

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
              Howard

Could you give us the mounting hole centers from the light you removed please?

Brian
              This what you wanted, Brian?

Name:	Landscape.JPG
Views:	1536
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	2356

Name:	Portrait.JPG
Views:	1545
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	2357

Howard & Francine

Comment

https://www.carid.com/optronics/driv...-rvstlb61.html

From Optronics. There is a measurement diagram on the upper left of their advertisement.

Thanks again Howard

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
                Here's one more picture that may make some of the verbiage in the first post make more sense--note how the wire color on the TRAILER side of the splice does not correlate with the wire color on the LIGHT side of the crimp. Do one connection at a time or it will get confusing real quick!
                Hi Howard,

When I installed Bargman LED tail lights, I discovered that the Grand Design installation had reversed the green and black connections to the tail light. This didn't matter when each circuit was powering one filament in the OE incandescent bulb. It made a big difference to the Bargman LED light where the tail light LED array is much smaller than the brake/turn LED array. I initially followed the OE connections by colour, but had to reverse the green and black to get things to work correctly.

Rob

Cate & Rob
                (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                2015 Reflection 303RLS
                2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

P.S. I had to send back the marker lights--I got the wrong color base! I need black, not white. (Oops.) I'll post about replacing the marker lights in the future.
                  Hi Howard,

I did the same thing! Didn't notice the base colour when I ordered the LED marker lights. But, since returning anything from Canada to a US supplier is a proper PITA, I just spray painted the bases black before installing them. This seems to have worked equally well.

BTW, this was an easy upgrade since the mounting holes matched between old and new. One complication was that the new bases have "notches" (for surface wiring I presume) so they could not be sealed with an exterior bead of silicone as had been done in the original installation. So, I sealed the wire exit hole and the screw holes under the new base, but not the exterior of the base. This makes a cleaner installation anyway. I did find rusted mounting screws in the original lights . . . meaning that the OE exterior bead of silicone wasn't completely sealing anyway.

As we both found on our tail light replacement, don't count on the silicone bead applied around exterior of the light base base to keep water from entering the wall ply through the wire opening or the screw holes. Each hole should be individually sealed under the light base.

Rob

Cate & Rob
                  2015 Reflection 303RLS
                  Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                    ... One complication was that the new bases have "notches" (for surface wiring I presume) so they could not be sealed with an exterior bead of silicone as had been done in the original installation. So, I sealed the wire exit hole and the screw holes under the new base, but not the exterior of the base. This makes a cleaner installation anyway. I did find rusted mounting screws in the original lights . . . meaning that the OE exterior bead of silicone wasn't completely sealing anyway.

As we both found on our tail light replacement, don't count on the silicone bead applied around exterior of the light base base to keep water from entering the wall ply through the wire opening or the screw holes. Each hole should be individually sealed under the light base.
                    Thanks, Rob. I'm going to do exactly as you describe when I install the marker lights.

There's one part of this mod I haven't tackled yet--I want to add a brake light up high, over the rear window. (The picture I sent to Brian is actually the third LED that's not installed--yet.) What has me stumped is an elegant way to get the wiring to the light.

What I'm considering is tapping off the street side junction and then bundling the wires with my rear camera harness that goes up the left side of the camper. Need to figure out a cleaner look for that, too, so might as well tackle it all at once.

Any thoughts?

-Howard

Howard & Francine

Comment

Beside the couch on the street side you have a small stand. The back side of this is "open" to the bottom of the RV, no coroplast in this area. You could drill a hole up thru there and go up thru the cabinet and run you wire up the inside corner to the overhead cupboards. The puck lights are attached to a "false" bottom of these cupboards, this may be a good area to attach the light on the outside. You could also continue on up into the cupboard and install there. The wires running up the inside corner could be covered with a piece of trim. This would take a little doing but I think you are up to the task.

Brian Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (11)_LI.jpg
Views:	1851
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	2386
                      Brian & Michelle
                      2018 Reflection 29RS
                      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

• howson
                        howson commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Hmmm...so where are the power lines for the lights in the upper cabinets coming from? Now you've got me curious...

Just a guess here but I believe the power for those lights comes from the ceiling on the right side looking at the couch, the switch for my lights is on that side. I have had the 120 plugs out of the bottom of both cabinets and the only wires there are the 120 wires.

Brian
                      Brian & Michelle
                      2018 Reflection 29RS
                      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

howson

Hi Howard,

I had considered doing the same thing, but there is a complication to this. The brake and turn signal work off the same source. There is no easy way to separate these signals. When you apply brakes and have a turn signal on, the brake light flashes on the turn signal side. So, if you connect a centre high mount brake light, it will flash with the turn signal on whichever side you wire it from. (Ask me how I know this . . . )

Genesis Tom put two high mount brake/turn lights on his Reflection by running the wires up the outside corner moldings, under the rubber insert that covers the screws.

Rob
                        Cate & Rob
                        2015 Reflection 303RLS
                        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

• howson
                          howson commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I'll copy what Tom did and add high-mounted lights on both sides and run the wires under the trim. Thanks for the post, Rob--definitely saved me from making a mistake!

For the marker lights has anyone tried these? At 1 1/16 inch long these would be very close to the lens on the markers where the factory bulb is 7/8 inch long.

https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Lig...2-5SMD-CW.html

Below are some higher quality bulbs. The Philips and CREE LEDs are the best quality.

https://www.xenondepot.com/SearchRes...rch_submit.y=0
                        Last edited by Guest; 07-29-2019, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X