Reverse Polarity issue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reverse Polarity issue?

Bought a used 2018 Reflection 320mks last fall. Before our first trip (this spring after my 30 days of warranty) I put in a hardwired Progressive 50 amp surge protector. When i plugged in the 50 amp service at the campground everything seemed fine and no error codes. When we used the slides or anything taxing, the surge protector started clicking. Later the Surge protector cut the power and had an error code of Reverse polarity. Waited some time and plugged it into 110v hoping to keep the battery charged so we can pack up. Definitely not a good idea- my daughter was sitting on a picnic table and touched the trailer and got a shock.... If i pull the wires from the trailer out of the surge protector i have continuity between Common (white)and 1(Red) of the 2 hots.... Brought it to the dealer and they cant find a problem with that... now we have towed back to dealer for them to look a second time and they want us to go there so they can convince us there is nothing wrong with it and that all the new ones are like that. I've asked some electricians and they confirmed for me that continuity between common and hot is a bad thing. What do i do from here?

Originally posted by Bribed2 View Post
    Bought a used 2018 Reflection 320mks last fall. Before our first trip (this spring after my 30 days of warranty) I put in a hardwired Progressive 50 amp surge protector. When i plugged in the 50 amp service at the campground everything seemed fine and no error codes. When we used the slides or anything taxing, the surge protector started clicking. Later the Surge protector cut the power and had an error code of Reverse polarity. Waited some time and plugged it into 110v hoping to keep the battery charged so we can pack up. Definitely not a good idea- my daughter was sitting on a picnic table and touched the trailer and got a shock.... If i pull the wires from the trailer out of the surge protector i have continuity between Common (white)and 1(Red) of the 2 hots.... Brought it to the dealer and they cant find a problem with that... now we have towed back to dealer for them to look a second time and they want us to go there so they can convince us there is nothing wrong with it and that all the new ones are like that. I've asked some electricians and they confirmed for me that continuity between common and hot is a bad thing. What do i do from here?
    The short between the 2 wires may be at the connection on the outside of the RV. The place where you plug the 50 amp cord into the side of the camper is removable from the outside. There should be plenty of wire to pull this plug out to inspect the wires on the back side connection. You may also want to check the wiring on the main power panel on the inside to make sure all of the screw connections are tight. Please use plenty of caution while doing any of these items, make sure all power is either off or disconnected from the unit.

Sorry for your issues but I think we can get it figured out.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Bribed2 View Post
      Definitely a bad thing, and explains the shock when you touched the side. So to be clear, with the line cord connected, but the sure protector removed (the wires coming into the rig are floating and go nowhere) you have continuity between common and line 1? How about if you disconnect the shore cord? My guess would be a problem in the shore cord itself. Otherwise there is a short in the wiring in the camper between the inlet connection and where the wires terminate.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Working...
      X