Awning Lights come on when turning battery switch off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awning Lights come on when turning battery switch off

2020 Reflection 312 bhts Awning lights come on when battery disconnect is in the off position. LED step light also comes on when battery disconnect is put in the off position.
    2020 Reflection 312BHTS

Originally posted by Nascen View Post
    2020 Reflection 312 bhts Awning lights come on when battery disconnect is in the off position. LED step light also comes on when battery disconnect is put in the off position.
    From the factory there are several loads that are not controlled by the battery disconnect switch. If you want to kill everything, most people either install a master kill switch near the battery, or just pull the negative wire off the battery.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Nascen
      Welcome to our owners technical forum!

Are you saying that these lights come on by themselves when you turn the battery disconnect switch off? If so, this will be interesting to figure out .

Rob
      Cate & Rob
      (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
      2015 Reflection 303RLS
      2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
      Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
        Nascen
        Welcome to our owners technical forum!

Are you saying that these lights come on by themselves when you turn the battery disconnect switch off? If so, this will be interesting to figure out .

Rob
        I hope not--hurts my head even trying to conceive how that's possible.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
        2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thank you all for the quick replies. The lights bo not come on by themselves just come on when turning the disconnect to the off position. My head already hurts from turning the switcch off and the lights going on lol. Thanks again.

Nick
          2020 Reflection 312BHTS

Comment

Thank you all for the quick replies. The lights bo not come on by themselves just come on when turning the disconnect to the off position. My head already hurts from turning the switcch off and the lights going on lol. Thanks again.

Nick
            So the question is, "Why am I able to turn the awning and step lights with the battery disconnect turned off?"

Neil, ncitro , addressed that issue in post #2. There are 12v circuits in the camper that are not routed through the battery disconnect. If the trailer has a power tongue jack it still works, too. Pull the emergency brake cable and the brakes will engage (don't do it, just saying that power is still available regardless of disconnect position).

Clear as mud?

Howard & Francine

Comment

Clear as mud lol.

Battery disconnect turned off awning and step lights come on.
              Battery switch turned on i am able to use rocker switches to turn lights on and off.
              Strange that when disconnect is in off position lights come on.
              when i do want to kill all power i will disconnect negative battery cable.

Nick
              2020 Reflection 312BHTS

Comment

Clear as mud lol.

Battery switch turned on i am able to use rocker switches to turn lights on and off.

Nick
                OK, then something is not right. Those lights should not come on when the battery disconnect is moved to the off position.

How much do you know about safely troubleshooting electrical circuits, using a multimeter, etc?

Even if you're a technical wizard, do you even want to troubleshoot as your unit is new?

I suggest arranging a repair through your dealer. If that's not feasible, you can call GD Customer Service and if available in your area get authorization for a mobile repair technician to come to you. Be aware, though, that you'll pay the "service fee" associated with the repair person's travel (not the labor associated with fixing the problem). Some find it's less expensive and way less hassle to pay someone to come to them versus hauling the trailer to the dealer and leaving it for weeks on end.

Getting back to my first question, if you want to try this yourself please post info on your technical ability as it will help guide the advice.

Howard

Howard & Francine

Comment

Clear as mud lol.

Nick
                  Can I also assume that when the battery disconnect of OFF that the rocker switch position makes no difference? (Lights always stay on?)

Howard & Francine

Comment

Clear as mud lol.

Nick
                    Hi Nick,
                    It is still not clear to me whether these lights come on by themselves when you turn off the battery disconnect or is the issue that they can be turned on when the battery disconnect is in the off position?

Rob
                    Last edited by Cate&Rob; 08-02-2020, 12:42 PM.
                    Cate & Rob
                    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Howard thank you as i greatly appreciate your responses i have a full time mechanic who works for me. However being that the trailer is new i am going to schedule an appointment. Truly a very weird lelectrical gremlin. Cate and Rob simply when the battery switch is turned to the off position the awning and step lights come on. I.have emailed GD and am awaiting there response. Tomorrow i will take a video after work so we all see what i am seeing. Thanks again Howard appreciate all the help.

Nick
                      2020 Reflection 312BHTS

Comment

Howard thank you as i greatly appreciate your responses i have a full time mechanic who works for me. However being that the trailer is new i am going to schedule an appointment. Truly a very weird lelectrical gremlin. Cate and Rob simply when the battery switch is turned to the off position the awning and step lights come on. I.have emailed GD and am awaiting there response. Tomorrow i will take a video after work so we all see what i am seeing. Thanks again Howard appreciate all the help.

Nick
                        Please follow-up with what fixes this problem--I'm sure there are many who are very interested in what's found. TIA!

Howard & Francine

Comment

Will do thank you.

Nick
                          2020 Reflection 312BHTS

Comment

Good luck with this problem. My story is laying in bed in our 249 RL, your facing the closet, that has a motion activated light. If you reach up and plug in the usb plug, the light comes on. No it is not waiving my hand that sets off motion sensor. It is behind closed doors. It is the act of plugging in usb activates the circuit. I guess small potatoes for now

Comment

Originally posted by Jnick View Post
                              Good luck with this problem. My story is laying in bed in our 249 RL, your facing the closet, that has a motion activated light. If you reach up and plug in the usb plug, the light comes on. No it is not waiving my hand that sets off motion sensor. It is behind closed doors. It is the act of plugging in usb activates the circuit. I guess small potatoes for now
                              Same thing happens in my 315RLTS. I turn off the light switch at night (there's three settings on the light in my camper--off, on, and auto).

Howard & Francine

Comment

Working...
                              X