No announcement yet.

Trailer LED backup lights - Whats good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK folks I really need your opinion. After looking at dozens and dozens of lights I have narrowed it down to 2 sets.
    For the rear I have chosen;
    https://www.amazon.com/Shooters-Ligh...1688&sr=8-131&
    With 108 watts each they should be bright enough , but not blinding. I was looking at drilling and tapping the back lower aluminum channel and using a locking nut? I do have a spot for a traditional through hole mount too.

Now to light up the sides of the trailer I was thinking of mounting these under the propane tanks facing back (or even further forward under front bay). This should provide good parameter/side lightning when backing.
    https://www.amazon.com/Shooter-Wayup...371313&sr=8-32
    They are 48 watts each

My other option for the sides of the trailer are the lights Original Rob Cate&Rob mentioned in post #12
    gbkims Guest howson

Now I plan to use a relay set up and pull power from the trailer battery when the relay gets the reverse signal. What I am still debating is should I have switches to turn them on together or separately in the front compartment when not tied to the truck? I think it can be done, just need to break a few gray cells loose and figure out a wiring solution. I would need to find switches with surface mount holders. At these power levels should not be hard to find. Now for the relay - I have had issues in the past with off brands on various projects. Is there a current good one that most auto parts stores would have. One with the plug and pigtail would be nice.

All thoughts and suggestions are welcome.

One other thing - I did find lights at KC/Hella/Ridiged/Black Oak and other places, but not sure the money they want is worth it.

Have a great weekend folks
    Keith

On edit I found this relay
    https://www.amazon.com/PACK-AMP-Wate...s%2C220&sr=8-6

And Switch
    https://www.amazon.com/SECO-LARM-SS-...%2C271&sr=8-14
    However I would prefer something with a cover so it cant get bumped on.
    Last edited by Yoda; 08-15-2020, 11:10 AM.
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Keith,

Whatever lights you find to meet your needs, the CREE LEDs will do the job. I like the light bar designs where they can be aimed down to not offend anyone. But this is all personal preference.

The backup lights would be a great asset to us as well since we will be headed to our PA lot in September and may need some light to back in there. When your all done, please show us some night pics in how well these work out.

Jim

Comment

Keith,

On the relay, looking at it's photo and based on a couple different brands I have, all the relay socket wires probably 16 Awg.
        The Fastronix 50/30 Amp Weatherproof Automotive Relay and Socket Kit looks to have larger wires for the relay's contacts.

For lights on Reverse or Switched, I used an On/Off/On switch. I don't know of a surface mount one at the moment, haven't looked much.
        Here's my rear bumper lights wiring. It can be done with a SPDT switch. My switch has LEDs, so it's DPDT.
        Ram 3500 Rear Bumper LEDs On-Off-Auto Switch.pdf
        Gene and Kim
        2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
        2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
          Keith,

Whatever lights you find to meet your needs, the CREE LEDs will do the job. I like the light bar designs where they can be aimed down to not offend anyone. But this is all personal preference.

The backup lights would be a great asset to us as well since we will be headed to our PA lot in September and may need some light to back in there. When your all done, please show us some night pics in how well these work out.

Jim
          Thanks Jim. The ones I have chosen can be aimed down at least 45 degrees and can also be offset to clear some bolts close to where I want to mount.
          2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by gbkims View Post
            Keith,

On the relay, looking at it's photo and based on a couple different brands I have, all the relay socket wires probably 16 Awg.
            The Fastronix 50/30 Amp Weatherproof Automotive Relay and Socket Kit looks to have larger wires for the relay's contacts.

For lights on Reverse or Switched, I used an On/Off/On switch. I don't know of a surface mount one at the moment, haven't looked much.
            Here's my rear bumper lights wiring. It can be done with a SPDT switch. My switch has LEDs, so it's DPDT.
            [ATTACH]n27151[/ATTACH]
            Thanks Gene
            Wow that is one HD relay. The one I posted has12 AWG tinned copper wires, 16 AWG to the coil. I think the one you posted has 18 AWG coil wires. It is worth considering though. I also appreciate the wiring diagram - gives me something to start with.

Keith

Comment

Keith,

Here is a nice video that illustrates what your after. This fellow uses lighting with remotes which also looks like a nice feature.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...6FORM%3DVDMHRS

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...D5&FORM=VDRVRV

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                Keith,

Here is a nice video that illustrates what your after. This fellow uses lighting with remotes which also looks like a nice feature.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...6FORM%3DVDMHRS

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...D5&FORM=VDRVRV

Jim
                Thanks Jim
                Yep I have seen those videos. They started me on this quest. I considered the remote but knowing myself I would loose it
                So I will probably go with switches in the front storage bay (backup would be automatic through truck pigtail and the relays). I just need to figure a way to mount them and have protected switches so the don't get bumped. I was looking at these https://www.amazon.com/Twidec-Automa...508253&sr=8-89 and some sort of box to mount them to. Thoughts?

Comment

Keith,

Looks good where its a matter of preference in having a switch option and how to activate the lights. We use these switch types in some of our cars with fire suppression systems. For RV maneuvering, you may find that the reverse only option may inhibit you where your feedback on using this system will be valuable. For switch mounting, I found plenty of space on the front panel of my docking station where I mounted my Victron BMV712 but your space may be different.

Jim

Comment

Activating these lights automatically when the truck is put in reverse, may be an unnecessary complication. When I am parking the RV, I tend to employ a series of back and forth maneuvers. Having the lights go on and off at every change of direction would be distracting. I have found that when I get out to check the site before backing in, it is easy to flip on the under-trailer lights and they stay on throughout positioning and levelling.

Rob
                    Cate & Rob
                    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
                    2015 Reflection 303RLS
                    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
                    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Guest Cate&Rob

Thanks you two. Jim - I will look at the docking station. Rob - you have a point, but I also want them for daytime indication I am backing up. I wonder what size kind of diode I would need to prevent power from flowing to the truck through the reverse wire if I have the switches power the relay through the same coil wire that would be attache to the truck reverse wire. If I remember correctly diodes only allow power one way. I guess I could fuse it lower than the truck reverse light.

Comment

Guest Cate&Rob gbkims howson gbkims

A big thank you for all your help. I placed orders so everything should be here in a week. What is surprising is Amazon still has the best prices on most things due to high shipping costs of the smaller retailers, I can only assume Amazon loses money on this, but I digress. I have everything ordered, including some expensive crimp terminals (another thread) that I needed to do the job correctly. What a learning experience - good for the brain. I will do a detailed write up as I go as I know a few are interested in this. I practice the KISS principle. Keep It Simple Stupid. If I am successful you can be.

Thanks
                        Keith

PS keep a lookout for a saddle box repair write up - came out better than expected - learned a few not to do's too.

Comment

Working...
                        X