Battery Disconnect Switch: On or Off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery Disconnect Switch: On or Off?

Hoping someone can clarify my questions regarding the On-Off positioning of the factory-installed battery disconnect switch on our Reflection 337RLS. First, when hooked up to our truck and traveling to a destination, should we leave the disconnect in the On or Off position? (Does it matter?) Second, when at the destination and hooked up to 50A shore power what position should we leave the switch in? (We keep the battery connected.) Appreciate any responses on this. Thanks.
    Mark & Ellen
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2019 RAM 3500 Mega Cab SRW

MAW7228
    The battery disconnect is the connection between your batteries and the rest of the trailer 12V systems. It should always be in the on position whenever you are towing or using the trailer. It can be shut off when the trailer is in storage and disconnected from shore power. But . . . a caution on this. All power draws do not go through this switch. Minor power draws for the propane detector and device memories will eventually drain the battery even with this switch off. To assure that the battery is not drained in storage, you need to remove one of the terminal connections.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I agree with Rob. Depending on how your battery how the auto reset breakers are wired in the front bay beside the battery determines what has power when the battery disconnect is on or off , which is a confusing statement to say the least.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Not trying to throw a wrench in this conversation but with the original wiring on my Imagine, it would not require the switch to be on to operate the break away switch since it would be connected directly to the battery. So in the case where I am not running any appliances in the rig while traveling, both the battery switch and gas valve can be turned off.
        If I want to run my refrigerator when traveling the battery switch and gas must both be turned on.
        If battery charging is desired while traveling or while connected to a pedestal, the battery switch must be turned on.

Jim

Comment

Thanks for your responses. We don't run the fridge while traveling so I'll probably keep the switch in the Off position. Once we are hooked up to site power I'll probably keep the switch On. One additional question though, when keeping the battery connected to site power and the switch in the On position is it possible to overcharge the battery? When the RV is in storage during the winter and not being used for a period of time I take the battery inside and connect it to a Battery Tender to keep it charged.
          Mark & Ellen
          2020 Reflection 337RLS

Comment

Originally posted by MAW7228 View Post
            TOne additional question though, when keeping the battery connected to site power and the switch in the On position is it possible to overcharge the battery?
            Good morning. The converter (charger) you have is a "smart" charger from WFCO. It should NOT overcharge your battery. If you are using a lead acid battery, it's a good idea to check the fluid level in the battery once a month though.

Jim

Jim and Ginnie
            2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
            GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
            GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by MAW7228 View Post
              Thanks for your responses. We don't run the fridge while traveling so I'll probably keep the switch in the Off position. Once we are hooked up to site power I'll probably keep the switch On. One additional question though, when keeping the battery connected to site power and the switch in the On position is it possible to overcharge the battery? When the RV is in storage during the winter and not being used for a period of time I take the battery inside and connect it to a Battery Tender to keep it charged.
              One of the best investments you can make at this point is a battery monitor. See this thread for more info: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...y-monitor-info

If Victron equipment is too expensive, Will Prowse has some options to consider:
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thanks for the feedback Jim and Howard. I'm going to look into the battery monitor.
                Mark & Ellen
                2020 Reflection 337RLS

Comment

I was told, I have not verified, that if the battery disconnect is out/off during towing the voltage form the tow vehicle is not getting to the battery. The trailer battery will not get that surface charge during towing. Again, I have not verified.

My approach is the battery disconnect is in/on when traveling and using the trailer. When it goes to storage it comes out AND I disconnect the battery cables to avoid those parasitic draws. I would not be happy if I showed up to storage and the battery was dead.
                  Mike & Lisa
                  Central Florida
                  2021 Imagine 2970RL
                  1996 Chevy K3500 Crew SRW 7.4L Gas

Comment

Originally posted by OurNewEra View Post
                    I was told, I have not verified, that if the battery disconnect is out/off during towing the voltage form the tow vehicle is not getting to the battery. The trailer battery will not get that surface charge during towing. Again, I have not verified.

My approach is the battery disconnect is in/on when traveling and using the trailer. When it goes to storage it comes out AND I disconnect the battery cables to avoid those parasitic draws. I would not be happy if I showed up to storage and the battery was dead.
                    This is a good assessment , however each owner should make sure how there unit is wired. Although they all should be wired the same from the factory it is possible that some may not be the same.

Brian
                    Brian & Michelle
                    2018 Reflection 29RS
                    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Your correct that the battery switch must be closed (on) if you wish to charge the battery while traveling. This also is the case if you wish to charge the battery while connected to an AC pedestal. However for storage, even with the switch off there will be a parasitic draw on the battery due to the items that Rob described such as CO alarms, radio memory or other small loads. The only way to stop this is to disconnect the negative battery cable. As Brian stated, this is the intended design of every rig and yours should be verified.

When we purchased our Imagine we were plugged into the outlet at home where I thought the battery would be charging while plugged in with the battery switch off. When we reached our destination, the battery was near dead. First lesson on our first trip.

Jim
                      Last edited by Guest; 08-29-2020, 08:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

The only way to stop this is to disconnect the negative battery cable. As Brian stated, this is the intended design of every rig and yours should be verified.

Jim
                        There is another way to stop the parasitic draw on the battery. When I rewired my unit, I made sure all wiring went through the battery switch with the exception of the emergency break away trailer brakes. I lose any memory that is programmed into the entertainment center, but I'd rather have that happen than drain my batteries.

Jim
                        Jim and Ginnie
                        2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

If you disconnect the battery, there should be no current draw from the battery. Why would you need to turn on the battery disconnect switch?
                          Tom and Janice (also known as Richter on the “Other” forum)

First came the 18' Comfort bumper-pull, was great for 20 years.
                          Now a 2019 Reflection 303RLS, second air, double glass, table and chairs
                          2019 F350 Lariat 4x4 Crewcab with lots of goodies
                          Andersen aluminum with the puck system holding it all together
                          Cranberry Twp. PA, about 30 miles north of Pittsburgh

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

This is a good assessment , however each owner should make sure how there unit is wired. Although they all should be wired the same from the factory it is possible that some may not be the same.

Brian
                            This is the correct answer, everyone need to check there own unit.

My unit has the 7way from the vehicle, the battery, the solar charge circuit from the solar prep, and the emergency breakaway all wired to the same lug of the circuit breaker. Position of the battery disconnect has no effect on these 4 items.

I have not had a chance to remove panels and chase wires to see what goes direct to the battery, and which goes thru the battery disconnect.
                            Mike
                            2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

does anyone just remove the battery durning storage? I just parked mine in storage last week and shut off the battery switch and was in a hurry so I didn't remove the negative wire from the battery but if I'm going to get to the battery to do that I just as well bring it home and store in the basement so it won't freeze and re charge when I return in the spring.

Comment

Working...
                              X