No announcement yet.

Simplest Lithium Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've in the exact same position. All of this is what I think but I'm not an electrical engineer. I checked my wiring/breaker and GFCI is most outlets and the tv outlet can be rewired from the fireplace outlet to the gfci pretty easily since both sets or romex are in the tv cavity.

You can check to see if the charger needs to be updated with lions, I did charge my lithiums individually with the existing one but pretty sure the battery mfgs recommend a lithium charger. That is an easy swap from what I see as there is a direct replacement from progressive dynamics. I was looking at the Freedom X or the Freedom XC which allows you to not need the charger. There is just enough room to mount the 1000X on the panel under the drawer and have almost the mounting clearance they recommend, it is about .5" short of the 5" on the fan end and 2" on the wiring end. But they also recommend the batteries be within 5' of the inverter. So you can put the batteries in the closet area otherwise everything needs to be in the pass through.

If using the pass through now you are running romex to and from the inverter (interrupting the gfci romex out of the breaker) through the wireway that runs from the breaker area to the shutoff area you have photos of and then rewiring the batteries a bit. I'm not sure how difficult that is but that is making the change. You also need a fuse and might want a shunt with battery monitor. Many also show a manual shutoff but i'm not sure why the existing one will not do the trick. If mounting in the pass through I would go with the 2000XC and bypass the charger. Now that is $650ish.

Now you can leave the batteries on the tongue but they won't charge below 32 degrees and I would want a locking box which is adding a few hundred bucks. So they should go in the passthrough or I'm looking at under the bed.

Then I think that instead of running the gfci back and forth why not just run one leg of the breaker back and forth and invert half the breaker which adds the microwave and fridge which will come in handy when driving and not wanting to run the fridge on gas. But now that runs about $1200.
    2019 RAM 1500
    2020 Imagine 2970MK

Comment

Originally posted by eodenc View Post
      I've in the exact same position. All of this is what I think but I'm not an electrical engineer. I checked my wiring/breaker and GFCI is most outlets and the tv outlet can be rewired from the fireplace outlet to the gfci pretty easily since both sets or romex are in the tv cavity.

You can check to see if the charger needs to be updated with lions, I did charge my lithiums individually with the existing one but pretty sure the battery mfgs recommend a lithium charger. That is an easy swap from what I see as there is a direct replacement from progressive dynamics. I was looking at the Freedom X or the Freedom XC which allows you to not need the charger. There is just enough room to mount the 1000X on the panel under the drawer and have almost the mounting clearance they recommend, it is about .5" short of the 5" on the fan end and 2" on the wiring end. But they also recommend the batteries be within 5' of the inverter. So you can put the batteries in the closet area otherwise everything needs to be in the pass through.

If using the pass through now you are running romex to and from the inverter (interrupting the gfci romex out of the breaker) through the wireway that runs from the breaker area to the shutoff area you have photos of and then rewiring the batteries a bit. I'm not sure how difficult that is but that is making the change. You also need a fuse and might want a shunt with battery monitor. Many also show a manual shutoff but i'm not sure why the existing one will not do the trick. If mounting in the pass through I would go with the 2000XC and bypass the charger. Now that is $650ish.

Now you can leave the batteries on the tongue but they won't charge below 32 degrees and I would want a locking box which is adding a few hundred bucks. So they should go in the passthrough or I'm looking at under the bed.

Then I think that instead of running the gfci back and forth why not just run one leg of the breaker back and forth and invert half the breaker which adds the microwave and fridge which will come in handy when driving and not wanting to run the fridge on gas. But now that runs about $1200.
      I really don't want to run any additional lines or modify the existing setup much if any. A big reason, apart from not being very handy with electrical stuff, is I'm not sure how long we will keep this rig. We would have switched to a 5th wheel if it wasn't for the crazy RV prices right now. So whatever I do I want to be able to easily move to a new rig.

The plan right now is to create basically a stand alone system. Put the 2 Lion batteries in the pass through connected to a Renogy 2000 Watt Inverter/Charger (which just arrived today). When boondocking overnight we will connect the 50 amp trailer power connection directly to the inverter with an adapter. This should power everything in the trailer (I know we cannot run everything) that uses AC power. I will keep the lead acid battery in place to power the 12v systems. I THINK this will work as the only 12v stuff we use is lights and maybe water pump, plus the other always on stuff like propane detector etc. When we hookup to shore power plug in the Renogy to charge up the Lions.

This is definitely not an ideal setup for someone who boondocks a lot. However I think it will be more than enough to get us through 1-2 nights no problem. It's basically a bigger more expensive version of the little 200 watt hour battery pack I use now. If it ends up working or ends up being a disaster I will update this thread accordingly.

Comment

Quick question. I have all the components at home now. I'm trying to assemble it all at home to make sure it all works properly. Then it should hopefully just be a matter of reassembling in the trailer since we keep it an hour away. Anyways the instructions say I should connect the ground from the case of the inverter/charger to the trailers frame ground. That's fine once I get it in the trailer, but right now for assembly in my garage what should I do with that ground? Do I bypass it or connect it to something else? I read somewhere you can connect back to the negative battery terminal but not sure on that one.

The instructions also say to keep the inverter close to the batteries, but also says to avoid having the batteries and inverter in the same compartment... not really sure how that's gonna work unless I put the batteries under the bed storage and the inverter in the passthrough.

Comment

Originally posted by dreamingat30fps View Post
          .. the instructions say I should connect the ground from the case of the inverter/charger to the trailers frame ground. That's fine once I get it in the trailer, but right now for assembly in my garage what should I do with that ground?
          Remember--I'm not an electrician. It is my understanding that connecting the case of the inverter to the trailer's ground is a safety measure. If something should cause the case of the inverter to be "hot" (live voltage), by connecting the case to the trailer's frame that provides a path for the current to get to ground (instead of if being through you if the case is touched). FYI, the Victron Multiplus' case in my trailer is not connected to the trailer's frame.

The instructions also say to keep the inverter close to the batteries, but also says to avoid having the batteries and inverter in the same compartment...
          For batteries that "off gas" (wet cell and some AGMs) you don't want unvented batteries and the inverter together. LifePO4 batteries do not give off a gas.
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Well here she is! Ready to go in the trailer next week. Everything seems to be working fine here.
            Attached Files

Comment

Well here she is! Ready to go in the trailer next week. Everything seems to be working fine here.
              I like your idea of simplicity. I am going to find a way to run the two wires that are connected to the stock battery to the storage compartment and hook that up to the battle born battery. I dont need AC power while boondocking so the inverter is not needed. I will be changing the stock converter/charger and adding a battery monitor. This is the simplest way I know to do this. If anybody has a tip on how to run those two wires to the storage compartment I am all ears.
              2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn, CC SB 6.7 Cummins HO/Aisin
              2021 GD Imagine 2800BH

Comment

Originally posted by Giesis View Post

I like your idea of simplicity. I am going to find a way to run the two wires that are connected to the stock battery to the storage compartment and hook that up to the battle born battery. I dont need AC power while boondocking so the inverter is not needed. I will be changing the stock converter/charger and adding a battery monitor. This is the simplest way I know to do this. If anybody has a tip on how to run those two wires to the storage compartment I am all ears.
                What GD trailer do you own? A sig line makes this question unnecessary (just sayin')... https://gdrvowners.com/forum/gdrv4li...-to-your-posts
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

What GD trailer do you own? A sig line makes this question unnecessary (just sayin')... https://gdrvowners.com/forum/gdrv4li...-to-your-posts
                  my bad I thought I said it 😂. Its a 2021 Imagine 2800BH
                  2021 GD Imagine 2800BH

Comment

Originally posted by Giesis View Post

my bad I thought I said it 😂. Its a 2021 Imagine 2800BH
                    Your 2800BH is very similar (at least the front part with the passthru and bedroom) to Jim's ( Guest ) 2600RB. Search for his forum name using the keyword "battery" in an Advanced Search and you'll find many related threads to this topic.

I'm sure Jim will be along shortly to chime in, too.

I believe the Reader's Digest version of the story will be to come up through the hole where the plumbing rises to meet the water control panel on the street side of the passthru. That's also exactly where my cables are routed (I have a 315RLTS). Below is an (old) picture behind the Nautilus panel in my Reflection. Your Imagine has a different setup but the hole in the floor is the same.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Old Pic.JPG
Views:	446
Size:	228.7 KB
ID:	32631

Howard

Comment

Your 2800BH is very similar (at least the front part with the passthru and bedroom) to Jim's ( Guest ) 2600RB. Search for his forum name using the keyword "battery" in an Advanced Search and you'll find many related threads to this topic.

I believe the Reader's Digest version of the story will be to come up through the hole where the plumbing rises to meet the water control panel on the street side of the passthru. That's also exactly where my cables are routed (I have a 315RLTS). Below is an (old) picture behind the Nautilus panel in my Reflection. Your Imagine has a different setup but the hole in the floor is the same.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Old Pic.JPG Views:	0 Size:	228.7 KB ID:	32631

Howard
                      Wow Howard, a picture is worth a 1000 words on the wiring and plumbing.

For those interested in another simple install like dreamingat30fps but without an inverter. The best part in doing this project was to do 99% of the setup outside the rig then install with 4 screws and connect the battery cables. Having stainless in both my back and recently my neck, bending is a factor so this method was also done out of necessity. I'm still above ground so enough of that.

For an inverter I am also contemplating using one but will install it behind the TV where this will only be used to operate the TV and a DVD player. So the battery feeds will run straight down to the power distribution panel providing the OEM 8 awg can handle the load. I've not done the calculations yet.

https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...-lithium-power

Jim

Comment

By the way, I'm curious where dreamingat30fps came up with the handle? I've spent much of my career at 235 fps and can only think of cycling at 30.

Jim

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	Old Pic.JPG
Views:	446
Size:	228.7 KB
ID:	32631

Howard

WOW I dont know what to say. How could someone building anything see that and think its ok. Anyway thanks for the tip. I’ll search some more.
                          2021 GD Imagine 2800BH

Comment

Working...
                          X