Awning roll up Intermittant Reflections 303RLS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Awning roll up Intermittant Reflections 303RLS

Was doing walk through with buyers of my Reflection 303RLS, extended awning and it came back in about half way and stopped (In the 40's outside). Waited a few seconds and tried to go in again and it would go a little way and stop. Ok this screams auto reset, fuse. Well I don't have the rig in front of me anymore but I would like to provide new owners a way to potentially fix.

1) lube pivot points
    2) Does it have a thermal fuse and if so where is it?
    a)Is it on the power distribution panel, and if so what location and fues size?
    . b) part number?

Any other ideas or thoughts.

Thanks in advance,
    Pat
    Last edited by Gyrogearloose; 01-31-2021, 12:06 PM.
    Pat & Marlene
    * Dodge 5.9 2500 2006 4x4 4.1 Diff Crew Shortbed
    * Reflection 303RLS 2015 Westlake/225/75/R15/E Tekonsha P3

Gyrogearloose
    Hi Pat,

The fuse for the awning is an old style glass barrel fuse in a holder behind the 12V fuse panel. Not very convenient, but also not likely blown since it is not a thermal reset fuse and you still have power after the stall. This fuse seems to be able to survive stalling the awning motor (which some folks do when they roll the awning all the way in).

I would suspect a binding gas strut, or possible a binding pivot point . . . particularly if the awning has not been opened much. We also ran into a similar problem when our original awning became stretched at one end, causing the fabric to wind up in a spiral which pulled the arms out of alignment (sideways) as they came in, causing binding of the arm sections at one end against each other.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Gyrogearloose View Post
      Was doing walk through with buyers of my Reflection 303RLS, extended awning and it came back in about half way and stopped (In the 40's outside). Waited a few seconds and tried to go in again and it would go a little way and stop. Ok this screams auto reset, fuse. Well I don't have the rig in front of me anymore but I would like to provide new owners a way to potentially fix.

1) lube pivot points
      2) Does it have a thermal fuse and if so where is it?
      a)Is it on the power distribution panel, and if so what location and fues size?
      . b) part number?

Any other ideas or thoughts.

Thanks in advance,
      Pat
      Pat - My first thought on this is that your battery voltage is low. A low battery would not have enough current to run the awning all the way back in. And waiting for a few seconds for a little more movement solidifies this thought. If it was a fuse, it wouldn't move again after waiting. Once a fuse is blown, it's gone for good. They don't use a thermal fuse unless there is one in the awning motor, but with temps in the 40s, I'm thinking this is not the case.

Are you plugged into shore power? Do you have a meter so you can measure your battery voltage?

Jim
      Jim and Ginnie
      2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
      GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
      GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post

Pat - My first thought on this is that your battery voltage is low. A low battery would not have enough current to run the awning all the way back in. And waiting for a few seconds for a little more movement solidifies this thought. If it was a fuse, it wouldn't move again after waiting. Once a fuse is blown, it's gone for good. They don't use a thermal fuse unless there is one in the awning motor, but with temps in the 40s, I'm thinking this is not the case.

Are you plugged into shore power? Do you have a meter so you can measure your battery voltage?

Jim
        Jim,

TRAILER not on my property anymore, other wise I would put my Fluke logging meter on it.

Fairly new AGM, always on shore power always, with a Battery Minder 5 stage smart battery maintainer. https://www.batteryminders.com/2012a...acid-batteries so I don't think battery. Slides work fine.

Was doing some Lippert reading and there might be a thermal fuse in motor but can't prove it.

Thanks for input,
        pat
        Pat & Marlene

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
          Gyrogearloose
          Hi Pat,

The fuse for the awning is an old style glass barrel fuse in a holder behind the 12V fuse panel. Not very convenient, but also not likely blown since it is not a thermal reset fuse and you still have power after the stall. This fuse seems to be able to survive stalling the awning motor (which some folks do when they roll the awning all the way in).

I would suspect a binding gas strut, or possible a binding pivot point . . . particularly if the awning has not been opened much. We also ran into a similar problem when our original awning became stretched at one end, causing the fabric to wind up in a spiral which pulled the arms out of alignment (sideways) as they came in, causing binding of the arm sections at one end against each other.

Rob
          Binding maybe, lube suggestion will be #1

I was curious if one of the auto fuses by the battery was for the awning or was there a plug in one (would be small looking like a typical spade fuse) on the 12v side of power distribution panel.

I will probably need to get them to open it and try to close it with power distribution door open and see if any of the led's light up when it stalls. If not Led's light up then the fuse must be somewhere else like battery area, or internal thermal fuse in motor?

I would have tried to isolate at the time, but needed to get to a doctor's appt.

Thanks,
          pat
          Pat & Marlene

Comment

Working...
          X