2021 Momentum 397TH Awning Wiring Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by howson View Post

Your post, as I interpret it, is clear but permit me to ask again just to make sure I'm reading this correctly.

On the output of the Unity board for the rear awning:
    1) No command to move (extend or retract) results in no voltage on either the GRN or GRN/WHT wires.

2) With either the manual switch or the OCTP, if the rear awning is commanded to extend the GRN wire has 12v but the GRN/WHT does not.

3) If RETRACT is commanded by the manual switch or OCTP the GRN/WHT has 12v but not the GRN wire.

Is this all accurate?
    Hi Howard,

Yes, that is correct.

Comment

Do you know if there are relays under the cover? If so, figure out which ones run the awning and swap with another set to see if its just bad relays from being active for so long.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
        Do you know if there are relays under the cover? If so, figure out which ones run the awning and swap with another set to see if its just bad relays from being active for so long.
        Check out post #8--it has a schematic.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Hi Guys! Sorry for the delay, was having too much fun this summer riding motorcycles!
          I wanted to post an update on this issue. With the help of a friend, we pulled the motor from the awning and tested it, it was bad. (presumably from being commanded to retract for ~6 months!) I contacted GD and they sent me a new motor under warranty, installed and the awning now is functional using the app. (Switch wire that is shorted to power is still disconnected at the input to the Unity Board) I have some wire I am going to try to pull up the wall from the basement into the ceiling to hopefully be able to replace the shorted section of wire. I have verified from the switch in the garage as far forward as I can trace it in the ceiling and it is not shorted to anything. Still bothers me that a wire is shorted but I'm sure it is in the wall run up from the basement.....

Also of note, the awning motor is direct wired to the output side of the Unity Board, there is no module like the Carefree documentation showed, just two wires coming out of the rear wall that hook directly to the motor leads.

Comment

Dirtbiker70x

Thanks for the update, glad you are getting it sorted out. A wire short in a wall has been seen before, I believe that someone found a screw run thru some wiring. This is not common but has happened.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Cannot find a place to post my own question. Does anyone know where I can find a video that shows how to set up the rear awning that has the drop-down legs? for our 2014 385TH We bought it used "AS IS from CWRLD. The CW staff didn't show my husband anything. (I guess they assumed because we had a bumper pull before, that we knew how everything worked). (Found several items we had to "fix" after getting it home) over all, we love it though.

Comment

jwood64 Welcome to the group.

Unfortunately "AS IS" probably means they did not know anything either. My dealings with them has been less than, well anything. I learned more online than they even knew at my local dealer.

Hopefully someone here can answer your question as there are a lot of long time owners here.
                Joseph
                Tow
                Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by jwood64 View Post
                  Cannot find a place to post my own question. Does anyone know where I can find a video that shows how to set up the rear awning that has the drop-down legs? for our 2014 385TH We bought it used "AS IS from CWRLD. The CW staff didn't show my husband anything. (I guess they assumed because we had a bumper pull before, that we knew how everything worked). (Found several items we had to "fix" after getting it home) over all, we love it though.
                  Here is a link to Carefree of Colorado , who I think makes the awning that you are questioning , Freedom Wall Mount - Carefree of Colorado , down the page there is a "Technical Documents" tab, here you will find a installation and a use manual, as well as others, this may help you. I think when you roll the awning out the legs snap out from the box that is at the outer end of the awning and they fold down to the ground or patio in your case.

Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Working...
                  X