Wire for satellite or dish antenna

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wire for satellite or dish antenna

I’m running some wires up to a junction box on the roof of my 2018 Reflection 303 for solar. Have to take the bathroom wall covering off to get to the area. Not a lot of fun. Mine is not prewired. Incase I ever want to put a Dish system or other type of internet or satellite antenna on the roof later, what kind of wire should I run to the junction box for later addition? I have no clue as to what kind of wiring those systems will require. I’m running a set of 2 awg wires up there for more solar later. I really don’t want to take this wall out again.

Thanks,

TG

Hi TG,

I would suggest that you run the largest conduit that will fit (with a tracer line inside) . . . then it will be easy to pull through whatever wiring a future add might require. BTW, please take pictures and post how you take apart and put back together the wall. From my signature, you might guess why I am particularly interested in this .

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

I am not sure if running the cable wire in the same tube as the solar wires is a good idea. There may be interference cause by the solar wire. I would guess that regular tv cable will work for your needs but I am not sure.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
        I am not sure if running the cable wire in the same tube as the solar wires is a good idea. There may be interference cause by the solar wire. I would guess that regular tv cable will work for your needs but I am not sure.

Brian
        My thought was to run the conduit for future wiring at the same time as the solar wiring . . . but not to put the 2 ga wire inside the conduit.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

For satellite and cable, use RG6 cable for your runs. It has the industry standard 75 ohm impedance. Not all RG6 is the same though. Spend a little more money and you'll likely get better shielding. Since the RG6 cable is well shielded, interference from other sources such as solar wiring should be minimal.

Jim
          Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Originally posted by tgordon View Post
            I’m running some wires up to a junction box on the roof of my 2018 Reflection 303 for solar. Have to take the bathroom wall covering off to get to the area. Not a lot of fun. Mine is not prewired. Incase I ever want to put a Dish system or other type of internet or satellite antenna on the roof later, what kind of wire should I run to the junction box for later addition? I have no clue as to what kind of wiring those systems will require. I’m running a set of 2 awg wires up there for more solar later. I really don’t want to take this wall out again.
            You want "quad-shielded RG-6 coaxial cable". It's very widely available including at Home Depot and Lowes and of course Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Satellite-Bro...s%2C178&sr=8-3

Its quad-shielding should theoretically be enough to let you run it beside solar power cables but if you can avoid doing that it would be more certainly interference-free. The cable that's factory-installed through the rest of your trailer isn't as robust.

Mark - 2018 Solitude 310GK - Ford F-350 SRW diesel short box - Pullrite Superglide hitch

Comment

Working...
            X