Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

90 Degree 50A Adapter - Solution in search of a problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 90 Degree 50A Adapter - Solution in search of a problem?

With the exception of when being towed, my 315RLTS always has it's power cord connected since it is parked in my backyard. I've noticed over time the power cord connector starting to sag. I haven't had a problem, but in a quest to find a solution to a problem that doesn't exist (yet) I am trying a 90 degree adapter.

An extra adapter just doesn't seem like the best of solutions, but (for now) I'll give it a try and see what happens. (For those that don't know my setup, I have a hard-wired Progressive EMS in the trailer so if something goes sideways with this adapter configuration I am counting on the EMS warning me.) I'd prefer to create a cable with a hard-wired 90 degree connector. That's a project for the future...

https://www.amazon.com/Marinco-ParkP.../dp/B002XLHNAY

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191027_074220 (Large).jpg
Views:	729
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	5941

How it looked before the adapter was installed. Note the sag in the cord connector.

Name:	20191027_074257 (Large).jpg
Views:	607
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	5942

Over time the cords should straighten out. After the next rain I'm going to pull apart the connections and look for water intrusion.

Name:	20191027_074740 (Large).jpg
Views:	610
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	5943

I'll update this thread if/when there is information to add.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Howard

In regards to the "sag" I have thought about a telescopic prop for underneath the factory cord to reduce the "sag" and stress on the connection. I do not use the 50 amp cord at home, I use an adapter to just use an extension cord. I have no need to use the full 50 amps at home. A telescopic support would be useable at a campground as well. The only thing I do not like about adaptors is each adaptor creates another connection. Each connection thus creates a place for another heat affected area to at some point may cause a failure. I am not sure in my observation but I am sure all of the electric gurus will help me with this.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
      Howard

The only thing I do not like about adaptors is each adaptor creates another connection. Each connection thus creates a place for another heat affected area to at some point may cause a failure.
      Exactly! I'll give this a try for awhile and see what happens. I'd prefer a cable with a 90 degree end instead of the straight-in connector so no adapter is required.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
      2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Saw this o a Momentum in August, problem solved. Even by my standard this is over built.
        Attached Files
        Colan Arnold
        2016 Momentum 397TH
        Full time since 2016

Comment

• howson
          howson commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow! Now that's a different take on taking out the slack on the power cord.

Telescopic pole was my thought to take some of the cord's weight. Ty rap or rip tie velcro to hold it on the pole when in use.
        I've got a work light with the pole that separates from the light. It's about the right height.
        Lowes All-Pro LED Work Stand Light

I did see a post where water got into the extra connection and caused some trouble.
        I do have a 90° adapter, but I'm not using it.
        Gene and Kim
        2015 Grand Design Reflection 317RST
        2017 RAM 3500 CC, LB, 4x2, 6.7L CTD

Comment

Personally, I think it's stupid that 50 amp cords are made with with straight-on connectors, anyway. We've used a 90-degree adapter on our rig since day 1 and it has prevented the pulling out of the receptacle from the side of the trailer as I've seen in a number of threads on different web sites. Most full-timers we know also use the adapters.

Rob
          Rob & Laura
          U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
          2012 F350 DRW CC Lariat PS 6.7, PullRite OE 18K
          2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
          (Previously in a 2016 Reflection 337RLS)
          Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Took me 10 seconds thinking about it from a physics standpoint that a 90 degree connector was an easy decision. With the weight of the cable and the moment arm generated because of distance away from the outlet the cable was, there's a lot of torque force on that connector. That can't be a good thing in the long run.With the 90 degree connector, the moment arm is much closer to the connector meaning a much lower torque force. Hope that sounded right. It's been a long since college physics.
            The Fraser Family
            Watertown, WI
            2020 GDRV Imagine 2800BH
            2017 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew, 3.5L Ecoboost, 3.55 rear

Comment

The problem with the 90 degree adapter is that it provides a lever arm to unlock the slight twist that fully engages the electrical connection. This can certainly happen with the straight-in connector, but is less likely. BTW . . . the outer collar is there to make the connection water tight, not to hold the cord in place. The electrical connection twist lock is supposed to hold the electrical connections in place. Depending on the build tolerance of your adapter and the wall connection, if the adapter hangs a little to the left of straight down, the weight of the cord will always be trying to unlock the connection at the trailer wall. To prevent the cord and adapter from trying to unlock the wall connection, you could install a clip on the wall below the electrical connection to hold the cord exactly where you want it. One owner used a broom handle holder to do this.

Rob
              Cate & Rob
              (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
              2015 Reflection 303RLS
              2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
              Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Is the connection waterproof where the original cord connects to the adaptor? Rain running down the cord to an unsealed connection could pose a problem.

Jim

Comment

• howson
                  howson commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Exactly what I'm going to look for, Jim, next time it rains.

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
                The problem with the 90 degree adapter is that it provides a lever arm to unlock the slight twist that fully engages the electrical connection. This can certainly happen with the straight-in connector, but is less likely. BTW . . . the outer collar is there to make the connection water tight, not to hold the cord in place. The electrical connection twist lock is supposed to hold the electrical connections in place. Depending on the build tolerance of your adapter and the wall connection, if the adapter hangs a little to the left of straight down, the weight of the cord will always be trying to unlock the connection at the trailer wall. To prevent the cord and adapter from trying to unlock the wall connection, you could install a clip on the wall below the electrical connection to hold the cord exactly where you want it. One owner used a broom handle holder to do this.

Rob
                I also recall posts years back for early GDRV models with bumpers and the rear wall connection, that the 90 degree adapter would not work due to the rotational positioning of the outlet on the rear wall resulting in the adapter position to have to hang down. There was not enough clearance between the top of the bumper and the rear wall connection for the adapter to work. Possibly on later builds GDRV rotated the rear wall connection to work with the 90 degree adapters and/or raised the rear connection but I do not recall this. The change to build with the street side sidewall connection for power eliminated the issue allowing the use of the 90 degree adapters to eliminate cord bend stress.

Dan
                Dan & Carol
                2014 303RLS Reflection #185 (10/2013 build)
                2012 Silverado LTZ Crew Duramax 2500HD - 2700/16K Pullrite Superglide

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post

Rob
                  Don't forget get Paul's issue as well.
                  Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
                  2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
                  2020 Momentum 351M
                  2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

If someone doesn't want to use an adapter, another option would be to change out the power cord socket for an angled replacement. Here's one for example:

https://smile.amazon.com/Conntek-SS2...278592&sr=8-14
                    Jim and Ginnie
                    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
                    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
                    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

• howson
                      howson commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That's what I have in mind for a permanent "fix".

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                    Is the connection waterproof where the original cord connects to the adaptor? Rain running down the cord to an unsealed connection could pose a problem.

Jim
                    I've never had a problem with water incursion into the connection over 4+ years - and we've been in some frog-stranglers with high winds.

Rob
                    Rob & Laura
                    U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS and disc brakes, solar, BB LiFePO4, DP windows
                    Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Originally posted by TucsonJim View Post
                      If someone doesn't want to use an adapter, another option would be to change out the power cord socket for an angled replacement. Here's one for example:

https://smile.amazon.com/Conntek-SS2...278592&sr=8-14
                      That one is only 45 degrees - would put more stress on things than the 90 degree adapter.

Rob

Rob & Laura
                      U.S. Army Retired (Rob)
                      Full time since 08/2015

Comment

Assuming good electrical connections, there are only two downsides to the 90* adapters. (1) They add expense and (2) they add complexity.

We bought our 310 slightly used. One of the few squawks I noted at that time was a little bit of deformation at the outlet due to either weight and stress or poor installation. Since adding my 90* adapter I don't think about that any more. I did have some concerns about water incursion but Second Chance has given me some stress relief (see what I did there?) over that. I do leave the excess cable on the ground slightly to the left of the connection and keep enough pull on it to keep it in place.
                        2017 310GK

Comment

Working...
                        X