Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adding a Fan to the bedroom of a Imagine 2800, what size wire?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding a Fan to the bedroom of a Imagine 2800, what size wire?

I'm going to be adding a Fan to the Bedroom Vent. Currently there is no wiring here, so I'll have to fish over from the Kitchen Vent (about 10ish feet). I don't have access to the camper at the moment, but I want to get the wire ordered.

What gauge is the wiring that the Fans use? 18gauge? 16?
    Mike
    2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

I'd err on the side of caution and run min 16 AWG. I don't think too big of wire ever hurt anything other than the pocketbook and made install a touch difficult if the wiring was bigger than the connector could accept, but nothing that trimming a few wires would not fix.
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by mpking View Post
      I'm going to be adding a Fan to the Bedroom Vent. Currently there is no wiring here, so I'll have to fish over from the Kitchen Vent (about 10ish feet). I don't have access to the camper at the moment, but I want to get the wire ordered.

What gauge is the wiring that the Fans use? 18gauge? 16?
      I can tell you most all of the 12v wiring GD uses is 14 gauge, which is way overkill for a fan. 16 Would be fine, and 18 probably would be as well. I added one to my Father in Laws a couple weeks ago and it drew surprisingly little according to the label. Check the label on your fan and go from there.
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
      2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
      2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

I can tell you most all of the 12v wiring GD uses is 14 gauge, which is way overkill for a fan. 16 Would be fine, and 18 probably would be as well. I added one to my Father in Laws a couple weeks ago and it drew surprisingly little according to the label. Check the label on your fan and go from there.
        If mpking went to a smaller wire, does the new wire require a separate fuse for protection? If he stayed with 14ga, could he skip adding a new fuse? (Existing fuse is sized so it pops before the wire self-destructs, right?)
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
        2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

If mpking went to a smaller wire, does the new wire require a separate fuse for protection? If he stayed with 14ga, could he skip adding a new fuse? (Existing fuse is sized so it pops before the wire self-destructs, right?)
          Yes, although depending on the circuit it may be fused smaller already. 14 Gauge would support 15 amps, and I doubt all the circuits have 15 amp fuses on them. It's going to step down at the fan anyway, I bet the fan will have 18 gauge or smaller leads coming off of it.

Neil Citro

Comment

What's the consensus on using speaker wire? Read a few articles that says there is no difference (and is sometimes better with the prevalence of Copper Clad Aluminum wire flooding Amazon). And I have a bunch of rolls of 18, 16, and 14 gauge from past projects.
            Mike
            2017 Imagine 2800BH pushing a 2019 Ford F150 Platinum

Formerly: 2002 Rockwood Popup

Comment

Originally posted by mpking View Post
              What's the consensus on using speaker wire? Read a few articles that says there is no difference (and is sometimes better with the prevalence of Copper Clad Aluminum wire flooding Amazon). And I have a bunch of rolls of 18, 16, and 14 gauge from past projects.
              I think the difference is mainly in the insulation. For 12v it's probably fine and will be more flexible than anything you can get at the hardware store (like THHN). The proper would be automotive "hook up wire", but it's hard to find in two conductor. I got a 500 foot stool of 16 gauge lamp cord at home depot years ago I use for most of my RV products.

Neil Citro

Comment

mpking Mike, won't tell you a lie. I've used speaker wire for a lot of things. Now that you say it, the speaker wire I have from Monster (it's old) looks exactly like the wiring used by GD. Same stripe (different colors) and same insulation thickness.
                Joseph
                Tow
                Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
                X