Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Marc61447 View Post

Hi Brian
    Would an inverter charger work then? One side of the looped wire as in the other as out? If you think that would work Besides disconnecting the OE converter would I need to do anything else? Any ideas on if it would feed both sides of panel?
    Their intention is to cut the Romex, and bring the power out of the first breaker into the in of the inverter and out of the inverter into the other 30 amp breaker. This second 30 amp breaker then feeds a subpanel, which is essentially just the last two breakers in the panel. You could use an inverter charger with no problem, but with the factory wiring only those two circuits would run off the inverter. In my experience most with either larger inverters, or dual would rewire to bring the mains into the inverter and then out to the panel, and just ignore the inverter prep wiring.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

To expand on what Brian said it's possible, but you would abandon the inverter prep and "go it alone". No problem with that, and if you want to run more off of the inverter besides the two circuits on the inverter sub panel that's what you need to do anyway.
      Thank you.
      I saw your response here after I asked on the other on sorry for that.

You mentioned in the other thread that there is a break in the busbar did you notice if 30 amp fuse for the inverter powers the main ac?

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

Their intention is to cut the Romex, and bring the power out of the first breaker into the in of the inverter and out of the inverter into the other 30 amp breaker. This second 30 amp breaker then feeds a subpanel, which is essentially just the last two breakers in the panel. You could use an inverter charger with no problem, but with the factory wiring only those two circuits would run off the inverter. In my experience most with either larger inverters, or dual would rewire to bring the mains into the inverter and then out to the panel, and just ignore the inverter prep wiring.
        Hi, thanks again for the information. I would love to do that my intention was to get Victron multi plus 2 however at just under 2000 CAD$ it's out of my price range. I can get a renogy 3000w pure sin for 390$ and a 3000w inverter charger for under $980 cad.

I have a renogy 200amp lithium battery on order. I have read that the solar charger is compatible with lithium compatible however the converter isn't if that's the case I will have to replace it,

I would love to do less rewiring as possible. All I need the inverter for is to power the outlets if I'm at a harvest host or something overnight and it would be cool if i could power the AC. (i know it wouldn't run long on a 200amp battery even with the OE Furrion MPPT and the optional second solar panel on the roof)
        So my plan is to install my 200amp battery off the positive I would have a disconnect than a 200amp fuse to a positive distribution bar off that connects the 12v positive stuff and the 3000w inverter/ charge I would do the same on the negative minus the disconnect and fuse. for the 120 sides, I would just connect the OE inverter prep into the in and out of my inverter charger. and remove the OE converter

do you guys think this would work??

Comment

Marc61447 I would think that should work, I don't have inverter prep so I'm not sure what's on the inverter "subpanel". I know a buddy WondersAwait has a 303 with inverter prep and might have a picture of what's on the subpanel. I would be surprised if it's the AC though. For his unit we're going Victron Multiplus type 2 to power the whole rig.

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro

Comment

My 303 does have the inverter prep with the romex looped into the front bay, but I don't have any pictures of the panel that show the inverter breakers well enough to get any useful info. My rig is parked at our family farm a few miles from home so can't go take a look at the moment but should be out by it tomorrow afternoon if no one else has more info before then.
            David and Deana
            2022 GMC Sierra 3500 AT4, CC, SRW, 6.6L L8T Gas, MYD 6-Speed
            2022 Reflection 303RLS w/ Gen-Y Executive Gooseneck Hitch

Comment

thank you ncitro and WondersAwait I would love a multiplus 2 however I don't have the budget for it or for a solar and battery bank big enough to run everything long enough. since I already have the lithium battery on order and have to swap out the converter anyways I'll just order the renogy 3000w watt inverter/ Charger hopefully ill be able to move the main ac to that sub-panel section. If not I hope Grand Design at least put the outlets on that sub-panel.
              Do you guy Know what Brand Breakers GD is using in the panels?

Comment

An important note that needs to be made in regards to the inverter prep.

The power in side of the prep wire from the breaker panel needs to go thru a auto transfer switch before going to an inverter, unless the inverter has a built in ATS.

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Howard, question regarding Forum - how do I access the Reference manual. Thanks!
                  2022 28/BH w/slide awnings, rear camera, lithium batteries, solar
                  TV: 2006 Dodge 2500 Turbo Desiel, 5.9 I6

Comment

That is the “reference material section”….

Comment

Originally posted by Cheryle View Post
                      That is the “reference material section”….
                      Click on the Electrical Channel and then there is the Reference Material that you can click on, this is the same as all of the channels that have a Reference section.

Brian
                      Brian & Michelle
                      2018 Reflection 29RS
                      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thanks for all the work the moderators do in keeping this forum up and running and such a a good resource for GD owners.

Comment

Thanks for all the data: I have a 2022 303rls with solar and inverter prep. I'm a believer in simpler has less issue, while still meeting the need. I want to put in an inverter to power really just the TV and maybe the microwave for a couple of minutes. Can I install a 3kW inverter using the pre-wire romex and then simply turn off the converter breakers? Will this remove the feedback issue while still allowing for the shore power to charge the batteries? I really don't use shore power often, only when its a hot trip, but I use 3kW Honda generator which drives a single AC with no issue. Thanks to ALL!

Comment

Originally posted by old brown View Post
                            Thanks for all the data: I have a 2022 303rls with solar and inverter prep. I'm a believer in simpler has less issue, while still meeting the need. I want to put in an inverter to power really just the TV and maybe the microwave for a couple of minutes. Can I install a 3kW inverter using the pre-wire romex and then simply turn off the converter breakers? Will this remove the feedback issue while still allowing for the shore power to charge the batteries? I really don't use shore power often, only when its a hot trip, but I use 3kW Honda generator which drives a single AC with no issue. Thanks to ALL!
                            If you use the pre wire you won't have a feedback issue as it only feeds the circuits to the right of the inverter breaker in your panel. It'll need to be an inverter with an internal transfer switch or you'll need to add an external transfer switch. Otherwise those circuits will never run off of shore power, they'll run off the inverter all the time.

Neil Citro

Comment

Does anyone have a suggestion on an inverter with an internal transfer switch, I was heading down the Renology 3kW for cost consideration and knowing my limited need?
                              Thanks Neil!!!

Rod

Comment

Originally posted by old brown View Post
                                Does anyone have a suggestion on an inverter with an internal transfer switch, I was heading down the Renology 3kW for cost consideration and knowing my limited need?
                                Thanks Neil!!!

Rod
                                My preference is Victron, but I have also used Magnum in the past.

Neil Citro

Comment

Working...
                                X