No announcement yet.

Differing batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For many many years all the manufacturers wired direct to the battery. In fact, they usually weren't even hooked up. They were bundled under the hood with brake controller wire. Only in recent years have relays been added. If you're wired direct, and you're that concerned about it, then you can add a constant duty relay with an ignition trigger. I've thought about it, as my '07 is wired direct with a fuse in the fuse block, but I haven't had an issue yet with the many different trailer I've towed, so it's priority is WAY down the list. Is it nice as a fail-safe? Sure. Priority right now? No.
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte
    2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M
    2004 Essex Vortex

Comment

I prefer the direct connection to the battery. Less failure points. In my career as a maintenance electrician, I found relays failed a lot.
      2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
      2021 303RLS
      Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
        I prefer the direct connection to the battery. Less failure points. In my career as a maintenance electrician, I found relays failed a lot.
        And when you leave a campsite and your FLA house battery is dead as most of us has done, its important to gain some charge for the battery for the break away braking control.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
          ... this AMSolar video ...

Howard
          I have to say, that was REALLY good -- I enjoyed it a lot. Seriously lol quite a bit. I also noticed the wine bottle was already almost empty so I wonder how many glasses it took to get the video completed. Must of been a tough assignment for Garret .
          Earl
          2022 Imagine 22RBE
          2021 Jeep Grand Cherokee (5.7L V-8 MDS VVT)
          Anderson 3350 WDH w/ Redarc TowPro EBRH-ACCV3

Comment

Working...
          X