2022 Reflection 303RLS modifications to hold two 6 volt batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2022 Reflection 303RLS modifications to hold two 6 volt batteries

Not sure Electrical is really the place for this, but I assume the moderators can move it if there is a better spot for it.

Just purchased a 2022 Reflection 303 RLS which came with a single flooded lead acid group 27 deep cycle battery. No surprise there. Actually, with 88 AH capacity is a better battery than I expected. That said, and also as I expected, the 44 AH usable capacity it provides is inadequate for the camping we do and I want to replace it with two, 220 AH 6V AGM golf cart batteries wired in series. My issue is not how to do this from an electrical perspective, I've done that before. Rather, I trying to figure the best way to place in the front storage compartment to locate and secure them so they don't get bounced around. The existing battery is in a battery compartment which protrudes beneath the front storage compartment about five or six inches. The existing battery sat down in this compartment and a cover, with an attached exhaust hose, screwed in place over the top half of the battery to hold it in place. Obviously, this will not work for the two new batteries. Actually, this holder is in the way of an effort to place the two new batteries in position.

Has anyone encountered this situation and would you share with me how you located and secured your new batteries? Do you cover the "hole" with something? Do I have to drill holes in the bottom of the front compartment to install battery hold downs? Is the floor of that compartment (I assume it is sheet aluminum) strong enough to hold the weight of the 6 volt batteries (66# each) or do I need to reinforce it? Tentatively thinking in terms of placing the new batteries in an appropriate battery box and attaching the GD supplied exhaust hose to the top of that compartment, but how and where do I fasten that battery box down?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or experience you can share with us.
    Full timers in 2022 Reflection 303RLS with Gypsy (7 pound calico cat) and Nanuq (90 pound Samoyed).
    2018 F450 Platinum.

Hi A J,

You can likely find previous discussions on many of the topics that you are interested in, by using the search tool in the upper right corner. Specific to your question about a second battery, the details of how I added a mirror image battery box are in this thread. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...d-box-any-tips

I went with two 12V batteries in parallel for almost the same Ahr capacity as two 6V in series but this gives me the ability to run on one battery if one fails. With two 6V batteries, if you lose one cell in one battery . . . battery power becomes totally non-functional.

There are differing opinions on the importance of venting the batteries similar to the OE installation, but suffice to say that this is the RV industry requirement for a lead/acid battery in a compartment with sources of ignition.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by A J Gordon View Post
      Not sure Electrical is really the place for this, but I assume the moderators can move it if there is a better spot for it.

Just purchased a 2022 Reflection 303 RLS which came with a single flooded lead acid group 27 deep cycle battery. No surprise there. Actually, with 88 AH capacity is a better battery than I expected. That said, and also as I expected, the 44 AH usable capacity it provides is inadequate for the camping we do and I want to replace it with two, 220 AH 6V AGM golf cart batteries wired in series. My issue is not how to do this from an electrical perspective, I've done that before. Rather, I trying to figure the best way to place in the front storage compartment to locate and secure them so they don't get bounced around. The existing battery is in a battery compartment which protrudes beneath the front storage compartment about five or six inches. The existing battery sat down in this compartment and a cover, with an attached exhaust hose, screwed in place over the top half of the battery to hold it in place. Obviously, this will not work for the two new batteries. Actually, this holder is in the way of an effort to place the two new batteries in position.

Has anyone encountered this situation and would you share with me how you located and secured your new batteries? Do you cover the "hole" with something? Do I have to drill holes in the bottom of the front compartment to install battery hold downs? Is the floor of that compartment (I assume it is sheet aluminum) strong enough to hold the weight of the 6 volt batteries (66# each) or do I need to reinforce it? Tentatively thinking in terms of placing the new batteries in an appropriate battery box and attaching the GD supplied exhaust hose to the top of that compartment, but how and where do I fasten that battery box down?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or experience you can share with us.
      Take a look at my install here (start with post 140) https://gdrvowners.com/forum/solar/5...mess-up/page10
      They make battery boxes for 2-6 volt. I installed 4 260 ah Crown 6V. Box base is held in by the aluminum angle with the straps under the angle, then over the box top to fully secure. My box is vented out the BOTTOM and the TOP and uses the factory vent tube. I took the factory box out and got some steel sheet metal from HD to cover the hole. I then cit a hole through it to vet the new box out the bottom. I cut the hole after locating the new box and first drilled a pilot hole through both to be sure they lined up before using the hole saw. Got everything at HD.

Hope this will give you some ideas.
      Keith

Edit
      If I had it to do over I would have gone Lithium now that prices have come down - but that is a whole other animal. Robs Cate&Rob thought of using 2-12 volt has merit. Look around as there are some good high AH 12V ones out there, with boxes to match. Just depends on how much you want the spend and how much room you have. Note if you factor in the cost of the box, venting, etc you might be close to the lithium and they dont require venting.
      Last edited by Yoda; 12-31-2021, 07:18 PM.
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

A J Gordon Another thing to consider when going with 2 - 6v batteries is availability for replacement should one fail. There are 12V Golf cart batteries available in the 150 AH range and with 2 that will give you 150 AH useable capacity, with the 220 AH 6v batteries, you only have 110 AH useable.
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post

Take a look at my install here (start with post 140) https://gdrvowners.com/forum/solar/5...mess-up/page10 ...
          Thank you, Yoda. Very helpful.
          Full timers in 2022 Reflection 303RLS with Gypsy (7 pound calico cat) and Nanuq (90 pound Samoyed).
          2018 F450 Platinum.

Comment

Thanks to all for your input and assistance. Very helpful!
            2018 F450 Platinum.

Comment

Working...
            X