Suspect 12v converter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suspect 12v converter

Last trip out we needed to use the gas heater. Woke up to a dead battery in the morning even though we were hooked up to shore power. Took the battery out of the mix and put it on a charger at the house.

Hooked up to 120v at the storage unit and started testing the converter.

No load 13.6v
    LED interior lights voltage drops to 10.6v
    Add in a vent fan and it drops to 9v

I’m thinking I’m looking at a bad converter. Before I order a new one, anything I’m missing here? The converter should easily be able to supply the voltage to these low amperage draws.
    Mike & Kristyn
    '20 Imagine 2800BH
    '19 F250 XLT 6.7 CC SB
    ProPride 3p 1400

With a charged battery, it won’t matter whether you even have a converter. Those voltages indicate no working battery in addition to possible converter issues. I’d look at wiring first.
    John & Kathy
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    2014 F250 SC SB 6.2

Comment

If the converter has failed all 12V components will eventually draw the battery down. Your test on the converter (with battery removed or switch off) shows its not delivering where it should be able to power all 12V components while plugged into shore power.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MikeG90 View Post
        Last trip out we needed to use the gas heater. Woke up to a dead battery in the morning even though we were hooked up to shore power. Took the battery out of the mix and put it on a charger at the house.

Hooked up to 120v at the storage unit and started testing the converter.

No load 13.6v
        LED interior lights voltage drops to 10.6v
        Add in a vent fan and it drops to 9v

I’m thinking I’m looking at a bad converter. Before I order a new one, anything I’m missing here? The converter should easily be able to supply the voltage to these low amperage draws.
        Progressive has good troubleshooting documentation: https://www.progressivedyn.com/servi...er-converters/

If I read your post correctly, the voltage dropped without the battery installed when a load was placed on the converter. If that's the case...I'd agree based on what's written here that the converter is bad. A small load like the LED lights should easily be powered by the converter, even without a battery installed.

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
        2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

One more detail. Are you getting good AC power? Plug in a high draw device such as a hair dryer into an AC outlet.

Jim

Comment

Thanks guys. Yes, that’s correct the voltage drop is occurring with the battery completely disconnected. I had to take it home to put on my maintainer anyway so it’s miles away.

I just beat on the converter with my hand the voltage jumped back to spec and now it’s handing whatever I throw at it. There’s for sure an issue with the converter. Something inside it’s housing appears to be loose.

Mike & Kristyn
            '20 Imagine 2800BH
            '19 F250 XLT 6.7 CC SB
            ProPride 3p 1400

Comment

Originally posted by MikeG90 View Post
              Thanks guys. Yes, that’s correct the voltage drop is occurring with the battery completely disconnected. I had to take it home to put on my maintainer anyway so it’s miles away.

I just beat on the converter with my hand the voltage jumped back to spec and now it’s handing whatever I throw at it. There’s for sure an issue with the converter. Something inside it’s housing appears to be loose.
              Have you checked the wire connections?

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post

Have you checked the wire connections?

Jim
                Before I hit the converter I was wiggling the connections and it didn’t seem to make a difference. I removed the converter and all of the connection screws were pretty tight. I’m going to put the converter on the bench and put a load on it and see what happens.
                Mike & Kristyn
                '20 Imagine 2800BH
                '19 F250 XLT 6.7 CC SB
                ProPride 3p 1400

Comment

Although the converter should handle the small draws of a couple lights it does not produce enough by itself to power a slide or larger draw. I would recommend not using the converter without a battery attached in the system. Sometimes a dead battery is from the battery disconnect being bumped or turned to the off position which may or may not have an effect on whether the battery charges or not depending on how it is wired, mine would not charge the battery if the disconnect was off.

Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

If you don't find the loose connection, ie, smoking gun so to speak, I would get another converter.
                    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
                    2021 303RLS
                    Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Working...
                    X