Surge protector with generator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Surge protector with generator

Is it necessary to use a surge protector while connected to a 20-amp generator? The generator has a built-in protection. I would have to use my 50 amp to surge protector to 30-amp adaptor to 20-amp adaptor. When I'm home that's how I hook it up to home 20 amp service
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    2019 Ram 2500 short box 6.4 Hemi
    Anderson ultimate hitch

No, it is not necessary to use the EMS with the generator.
    Ted
    2021 Reflection 310RLS
    2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Dennis66 Depends on what you are trying to protect from. I'd suggest a UPS with voltage correction on the TV instead of a surge protector if you are planning to watch TV. I have a UPS with voltage correction in the house to help protect the TV from voltage swings which kill the circuit boards. Last Samsung lasted 15 years (2 sets of capacitors on the power board due to known quality issues) by doing this.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis66 View Post
        Is it necessary to use a surge protector while connected to a 20-amp generator? The generator has a built-in protection. I would have to use my 50 amp to surge protector to 30-amp adaptor to 20-amp adaptor. When I'm home that's how I hook it up to home 20 amp service
        There is a definitive difference between a "surge protector" and an "EMS" (Electrical Management System). Many of us here us a Progressive Industries EMS, but the other brands are certainly capable, too. Understanding the purpose and capability of a surge protector vs an EMS will allow you to understand why you'd use one (or not) with a generator.

J. Michael Sokol's book RV Electricity ( https://www.amazon.com/No-Shock-Zone.../dp/0990527913 ) goes into a lot of detail on the topic. Mike also has an article online here: https://www.rvtravel.com/rv-electric...tors-rvt-1003/

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
        2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

There is a definitive difference between a "surge protector" and an "EMS" (Electrical Management System). Many of us here us a Progressive Industries EMS, but the other brands are certainly capable, too. Understanding the purpose and capability of a surge protector vs an EMS will allow you to understand why you'd use one (or not) with a generator.

J. Michael Sokol's book RV Electricity ( https://www.amazon.com/No-Shock-Zone.../dp/0990527913 ) goes into a lot of detail on the topic. Mike also has an article online here: https://www.rvtravel.com/rv-electric...tors-rvt-1003/

Howard
          TY Howard. I see a lot of good info about this seemingly very common question so I’m guessing that each situation is often different and it becomes difficult to give a specific answer to this common question. However, I’ll try to simplify my very entry level set up and ask; in this set up, do you suspect it will provide any benefits or harm for me to run a Progressive Industries 30a portable surge protector model SSP-30x on my Champion 2500/1850 Generator? This Gen came with a bonding plug included in the box. Tks Howard
          Dave and Sue
          2020 GD 2250RK
          2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
          Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
          GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
          SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Comment

Originally posted by Schiefswret View Post

TY Howard. I see a lot of good info about this seemingly very common question so I’m guessing that each situation is often different and it becomes difficult to give a specific answer to this common question. However, I’ll try to simplify my very entry level set up and ask; in this set up, do you suspect it will provide any benefits or harm for me to run a Progressive Industries 30a portable surge protector model SSP-30x on my Champion 2500/1850 Generator? This Gen came with a bonding plug included in the box. Tks Howard
            Dave,
            My EMS is hard-wired into my camper, so when I plug in my Champion 2000W generator the output must go through it to reach the camper's circuits. That's why a bonding plug is required in my setup--without it the EMS will not let power pass since it would not sense a bonded ground-to-neutral (without the plug).

Those with built-in generators and transfer switches should wire in a hard-wired EMS between shore power and the transfer switch as noted on Progressive Industries FAQ page. The rationale is explained on the website. https://www.progressiveindustries.net/faq

Bottom line: In my opinion I see no downside to using an EMS with a generator but it is not a requirement.

Howard
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
            2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Got it Tks Howard!
              Dave and Sue
              2020 GD 2250RK
              2019 F-150 XLT, 5.0, 4WD, SB
              Curt 17500 WDH, 3.55
              GY Endurance, Dexter EZ Flex
              SCPO(SW) USN, (Ret), HP: Tampa Bay ⚓️🇺🇸

Comment

Working...