New 260RD - two battery questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 260RD - two battery questions

Image below is of the installed batteries in my new 260RD. Just looking for input/opinions -
    1. Are batteries installed by the dealer or GD?
    2. Why didn't they use a deep cycle battery instead of the Marine cranking battery? Seems like it's the wrong battery type for use in an RV.
    3. Most importantly - IF it's important to place a battery in a vented battery box (the one on the right) why aren't they both in a vented battery box? Is a vented box a requirement for safety? Do I need to get them both in a vented box?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Batteries Seald and Not.jpg
Views:	740
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	75595
    Attached Files
    Mike and Rebecca
    2022 Reflection 150 260RD, October 2021 build date.
    2001 Chev 2500 HD 8.1 liter 4x4

Hi Mike And Rebecca,

The answers to your questions . . .
    1) Batteries are installed by the dealer (Grand Design ships the trailer without a battery)
    2) You are correct that the best (lead/acid) batteries would be deep cycle.
    3) Lead/acid batteries should absolutely be installed in a vented enclosure. This is a RVIA code requirement.

That second battery doesn’t even look like it is tied down!

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
      Hi Mike And Rebecca,

The answers to your questions . . .
      1) Batteries are installed by the dealer (Grand Design ships the trailer without a battery)
      2) You are correct that the best (lead/acid) batteries would be deep cycle.
      3) Lead/acid batteries should absolutely be installed in a vented enclosure. This is a RVIA code requirement.

That second battery doesn’t even look like it is tied down!

Rob
      Thanks Rob! I'll talk to the dealer about #3 and look up that RVIA code first. The second battery was tied down - I had it out for charging and just hadn't taken re-strapped it before taking the picture. I don't want to blame the dealer for everything.
      Mike and Rebecca
      2022 Reflection 150 260RD, October 2021 build date.
      2001 Chev 2500 HD 8.1 liter 4x4

Comment

Originally posted by Mike & Rebecca View Post

Thanks Rob! I'll talk to the dealer about #3 and look up that RVIA code first. The second battery was tied down - I had it out for charging and just hadn't taken re-strapped it before taking the picture. I don't want to blame the dealer for everything.
        RVIA (Recreational Vehicle Industry Association) requirements are an elusive thing to find. Even though each owner pays a separate fee for RVIA “inspection” at time of purchase, what is inspected is information available only to the RV manufacturers. If you can gain access to RVIA requirements, I would be very interested as I have only been able to learn bits and pieces through discussions with Grand Design.

The vented battery box is because a charging lead/acid battery gives off flammable hydrogen gas which is lighter than air. This gas could (theoretically) gather at the top of an enclosed compartment where it could be ignited by a spark from an electrical switch, relay or motor.

You may need to provide your dealer with information directly from Grand Design Customer Service, if you hope to leverage them into installing that second battery to RVIA requirements.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Cate&Rob Rob, so the standards they follow are not the ones sold on the website? https://my.rvia.org/store?category=a0L410000075wYaEAI
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Jlawles2
            Hi Joseph,

Interesting! . . .I had not found those "standards" documents for sale. But . . . I have not gone looking in a long time. My reference point is several years ago, trying to understand the requirements for RV plumbing. At that time I was directed by RVIA to contact the manufacturer of my trailer. It will be interesting to learn how RV construction practices measure up to these documented standards.

Rob
            Cate & Rob
            2015 Reflection 303RLS
            Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Anecdotal from almost four years back is that our Momentum came prepared for a single battery. I'm thinking this included a single battery box. My dealer elected to provide two deep cycle Interstate batteries and I'm guessing the second battery box.
              John
              2018 Momentum 395M
              2018 Ram 3500 Dually
              Every day is a Saturday, but with no lawn to mow.

Comment

Working...
              X