Ceramic space heater usage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ceramic space heater usage

My 1500 watt space heater draws 12.5 amps. I have recently become concerned on drawing this amount of current through the kind of duplex receptacles used in trailers because they are definitely sub-standard compared to the residential duplex receptacles. With the amount vibration going down the road, I'm wondering about the possibility of constantly deteriorating conductivity (increased resistance) with the push-in type wire terminals. Could this be an Issue??

Because of the placement of the receptacles in my reflection, I don't feel it would be possible to change out to residential grade receptacles, but I'd sure like to have the ones with the screw terminals vs. the push-in type found in RV's. Am I just fabricating a non-existent problem here?
    2020 Reflection 273MK
    2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

I've been running space heaters for years and haven't worried about this issue. I do however turn off the spacel heater when I leave the rv for more than 15 minutes. Propane is a much better alternative and keeps the underbody warm.
    2019 Ford F250 Lariat Diesel
    2019 Reflection 315RLTS

Comment

Originally posted by Lonestar View Post
      Am I just fabricating a non-existent problem here?
      I'd classify the RV outlets as "different" and not "user-friendly". I've never read of an issue with their ability to handle the (assumed) 15A rating. Plenty of threads about incomplete connections causing open circuits...but that's a different problem.

Inspect the outlet on occasion to satisfy that "itch" and if there's no indication of an problem (it will be heat-related damage that will be obvious) IMO drawing 12.5 amps is not an issue. If there is damage it's likely due to an incomplete installation.

Another option: take the outlet apart and do a visual inspection. The wires don't have to come out of the outlet (if fact DON'T take the wires out!), just separate the outlet backing from the front (with power off, obviously) and give it a quick once-over. If there's an issue it should be obvious (burn marks, melting, etc).

Below is a random pic I took while working on one of my outlets. Everything looks normal (to me).

Click image for larger version

Name:	RV Outlet (Large).jpg
Views:	301
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	75867
      Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
      2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

On four different trailers over the years, I've never had an issue with either space heater use or RV-type receptacles.
        Mike & Sonya
        2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
        Blue Ox SwayPro
        2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

Thanks for the input. I agree that 12 amps through these connectors should not be a problem assuming the wires are seated correctly in the terminals.

I too have been running electric heaters in my trailer since the eighties with no issue. Back then, before ceramic heaters, I used the old "barn" heaters. Again, never a problem, but the new receptacles, as shown in howson pictures seem like they could become a problem. Think I will inspect when I get a chance.
          2020 Reflection 273MK
          2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

I've replaced most of the outlets in my rig with residential"old work"shallow plastic boxes and outlets. The tech that assembled mine was a little too zealous with the impact gun and within a few months all of the outlets plastic was cracked where the anchors were.
            Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
            2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
            2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

The only outlet we have had issues with is the kitchen GFCI where the coffee maker is plugged in to. It seems they do not handle large input loads over time. Changed brands and will see if this helps.

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
                I've replaced most of the outlets in my rig with residential"old work"shallow plastic boxes and outlets. The tech that assembled mine was a little too zealous with the impact gun and within a few months all of the outlets plastic was cracked where the anchors were.
                That's what I may do. Only problem is all the receptacles in my Reflection are under the bottom side of the overhead cabinets. I've got to check and see if the shallow boxes are thin enough to fit in there.

On a side note, I was in Lowes recently to pick up an old work box, and they had almost zero of the blue plastic boxes of any description in stock. Home Depot had a few but this is an item that the supply chain has lost! And also, the price for a single gang old work box was almost $5. Unbelievable!
                2020 Reflection 273MK
                2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

That's what I may do. Only problem is all the receptacles in my Reflection are under the bottom side of the overhead cabinets. I've got to check and see if the shallow boxes are thin enough to fit in there.

On a side note, I was in Lowes recently to pick up an old work box, and they had almost zero of the blue plastic boxes of any description in stock. Home Depot had a few but this is an item that the supply chain has lost! And also, the price for a single gang old work box was almost $5. Unbelievable!
                  Wow that's crazy. Some things are just impossible to get anymore.

Neil Citro
                  2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
                  2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by MidwestCamper View Post
                    The only outlet we have had issues with is the kitchen GFCI where the coffee maker is plugged in to. It seems they do not handle large input loads over time. Changed brands and will see if this helps.

Jim
                    Sounds like you have an overly sensitive GFCI. We always run our Keurig on that outlet and never had a problem.
                    Mike and (RIP Karen)
                    2021 2600RB
                    2011 Tundra 5.7 DC

Comment

Hi Mike,

I'm on my third one and changed brands this last time. I have replaced these in our past home on an outlet that was commonly used with a hair drier as well. They do well to provide protection from stray current but cannot handle high loads over time. So I would not rely on these devices to power a space heater to protect the rig that is unattended.

From Wirecutter.

Manufacturers advise against plugging space heaters into surge protectors, extension cords, plug timers, GFCI outlets (the kind with the test and reset buttons), or really anything that’s not a wall outlet. Those added layers of electrical connection can increase your chances of overloading the circuit, or they can create additional resistance that allows heat to build up, potentially resulting in a fire or other internal electrical damage.

Jim
                      Last edited by Guest; 02-04-2022, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post

Wow that's crazy. Some things are just impossible to get anymore.
                        Tell me about it! What's weird is the metal boxes are cheaper than the plastic boxes now. Wasn't that the opposite a couple of years ago?

In regards to Lowes, I think the contractors are buying them all before they hit the shelves meaning nothing left for the consumer.
                        2020 Reflection 273MK
                        2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Tell me about it! What's weird is the metal boxes are cheaper than the plastic boxes now. Wasn't that the opposite a couple of years ago?

In regards to Lowes, I think the contractors are buying them all before they hit the shelves meaning nothing left for the consumer.
                          Lonestar,

Couldn't you install a single outlet box and residential style outlet next to the power distribution center and install a breaker for that circuit? This would satisfy moving away from a push connection and away from a GFCI circuit if a ceramic heater is planned.

I'm speculating that those units with an electric fireplace would be wired to a dedicated outlet? No different than a space heater really.

Jim

Comment

Hi Mike,

I'm on my third one and changed brands this last time. I have replaced these in our past home on an outlet that was commonly used with a hair drier as well. They do well to provide protection from stray current but cannot handle high loads over time. So I would not rely on these devices to power a space heater to protect the rig that is unattended.

From Wirecutter.

Manufacturers advise against plugging space heaters into surge protectors, extension cords, plug timers, GFCI outlets (the kind with the test and reset buttons), or really anything that’s not a wall outlet. Those added layers of electrical connection can increase your chances of overloading the circuit, or they can create additional resistance that allows heat to build up, potentially resulting in a fire or other internal electrical damage.

Jim
                            I hear you, Jim. I have not had a problem possibly because the Keurig draws high current for short periods of time. If and when I have a problem I'll deal with it then, as I am a firm believer in not changing something if there is no problem. If there are obvious known issues with something then I will take preventative measures. In relation to the thread title, I run my 1500W heater from the outlet behind the theater seats, which I believe is not on a GFCI protected circuit and have never had a problem. Also, we make sure to turn off the heater (and furnace!) whenever we leave the trailer. We have forgotten about the water heater on occasion, so I guess we will have to be more diligent.
                            Mike and (RIP Karen)
                            2021 2600RB
                            2011 Tundra 5.7 DC

Comment

Lonestar,

Couldn't you install a single outlet box and residential style outlet next to the power distribution center and install a breaker for that circuit? This would satisfy moving away from a push connection and away from a GFCI circuit if a ceramic heater is planned.

I'm speculating that those units with an electric fireplace would be wired to a dedicated outlet? No different than a space heater really.

Jim
                              Yes, it would be very easy except on my floorplan that area has a couch on the wall. There would be a small amount of wall available but it would be a bad place to set a space heater. Even an extension cord would be right in the way of the exterior door entrance. Just wouldn't work unless it was an emergency.
                              2020 Reflection 273MK
                              2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD

Comment

Working...
                              X