Imagine 2670MK Solar Wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Imagine 2670MK Solar Wiring

Hello all. Yup, I tried the search first.

We just picked up our new 2019 2670MK. We relied heavily on SOLAR with our last camper so we are installing the same system on our new 2670MK. The trouble I am having is there is no simple refrigerator roof vent to run wiring down into the camper like my Jayco had. This year of 2070MK is also not prepped from the factory for roof mounted SOLAR.

Really wanting to go with roof mounted SOLAR again I would really appreciate any advise based on experience with this floor plan on how I could run wiring from the roof down to either the batteries or to the back of the fuse panel. On this model the fuse panel is located under the closet in the bedroom, backing onto the bathroom.

Thank you in advance for any solid suggestions.

Steve
    2019 Imagine 2670MK
    2020 F250 6.7 Lariat
    1983 Hottie Wife

Originally posted by bydabeav View Post
    Hello all. Yup, I tried the search first.

We just picked up our new 2019 2670MK. We relied heavily on SOLAR with our last camper so we are installing the same system on our new 2670MK. The trouble I am having is there is no simple refrigerator roof vent to run wiring down into the camper like my Jayco had. This year of 2070MK is also not prepped from the factory for roof mounted SOLAR.

Really wanting to go with roof mounted SOLAR again I would really appreciate any advise based on experience with this floor plan on how I could run wiring from the roof down to either the batteries or to the back of the fuse panel. On this model the fuse panel is located under the closet in the bedroom, backing onto the bathroom.

Thank you in advance for any solid suggestions.

Steve
    Steve,
    Welcome to the forum. My '19 315RLTS isn't prepped, either, so don't feel bad that all the '20 models coming off the line are now solar prepped. (Figures, doesn't it?)

It does look like the one option you have is coming down through the wardrobe closet.

TucsonJim is our solar guru. I've got an inverter and batteries in mine, but no solar. I'm sure he'll chime in here shortly. (Jim--check your email!)

-Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thank you.

Originally posted by howson View Post

Steve,
      Welcome to the forum. My '19 315RLTS isn't prepped, either, so don't feel bad that all the '20 models coming off the line are now solar prepped. (Figures, doesn't it?)

It does look like the one option you have is coming down through the wardrobe closet.

TucsonJim is our solar guru. I've got an inverter and batteries in mine, but no solar. I'm sure he'll chime in here shortly. (Jim--check your email!)

-Howard
      2019 Imagine 2670MK
      2020 F250 6.7 Lariat
      1983 Hottie Wife

Comment

Steve - Howard sent me a copy of your rig's structural drawings. Tentatively, the best place I can see is to run the wires through the roof in that wardrobe closet you referred to. I'll do a study of the drawings tonight and locate place where you can penetrate the roof without encountering a structural member. BTW, your floor plan is very similar to the one I have in my 297RSTS travel trailer. I penetrated the roof in the same cabinet you are interested in.

Jim
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

bydabeav Steve - I've checked out the structural drawings, but before I can make some suggestions I need a little more detail. Can you open that cabinet in the bedroom (adjoining the bathroom) and then take a photo or two that shows the floor to the ceiling of that area?

Jim
          Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Hi Jim, thank you for helping with this. Pics of what I think you are asking for are attached. Sadly the cabinet your are talking about does not open. Just a towel type cubby hole system. That said I did remove the drawer above the fuse panel and it does look like there will be easy access to this area around the furnace. I suspect I could simply go through that closet/cabinet above fuse panel and drawers but I really do not want to see the wiring inside the cabinet. Do you think there might be a way to snake it down inside the wall between either the shower and towel storage area or between the towel storage area and the bedroom closet back wall?

Open for any ideas and again I appreciate your help.

Steve

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1412.jpg
Views:	732
Size:	50.7 KB
ID:	7883
            2019 Imagine 2670MK
            2020 F250 6.7 Lariat
            1983 Hottie Wife

Comment

bydabeav - Yeah, what I'm specifically looking for is from the bedroom side. That cabinet which backs up to the one in the bathroom.
              Jim and Ginnie

Comment

Sorry for wrong pic Jim. New pics here, the lighting is terrible as there the camper is in winter storage and lighting inside the bard is poor.

Name:	IMG_1418.jpg
Views:	616
Size:	45.3 KB
ID:	7894

Name:	IMG_1419.jpg
Views:	631
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	7895

Also, while look at roof I understand the black vents are for plumbing but might you have an idea what the white vent is? It just seems to be a random vent.

Name:	IMG_1420.jpg
Views:	616
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	7896

Steve
                2019 Imagine 2670MK
                2020 F250 6.7 Lariat
                1983 Hottie Wife

Comment

Hi @TucsonJim, hope you are still following and can give me your thoughts on my plan.

I have removed the drawers in the bedroom cabinet, removed the interior trim for the bathroom ceiling fan, and removed the tv plug from the roof of the bedroom to see everything more clearly.

I did not want to drill a hole in the roof to run the solar wiring through but I think this will be my only option.

So.... I hope this all reads well.

- Drill a wiring hole about 6" in-front of ceiling fan in bathroom. This will allow enough clearance from the fan and also allow me to reach wiring from inside.
                  - Fish wiring from this spot, over or under the in attic duck work over to the top of the closet int he bed room. I might have to fish the wiring to the ceiling plug for the TV and then over to the closet as I suspect duct work will be in the way a little.
                  - Drill access hole in closet top into the attic space. Hoping to drill in front corner of cabinet to allow wiring to run down backside of front face to hide from easy sight. Wiring can be run in a black conduit.
                  - Once wiring in run into the space under the drawers where the fuse panel is I can install remaining solar hardware there or continue wiring to pass through storage area and out direct to the batteries.

Jim, do you expect I will experience any difficulty drilling the hole in mentioned spot in roof or when running wiring through attic space to top of closet?

Again, I appreciate any advise on this.

Side note: I did install the same solar system on my Jayco. Worked perfectly and no roof leaks. I flip houses on the side and am pretty experienced with tools etc.

Thanks

Steve
                  Last edited by bydabeav; 11-28-2019, 01:28 PM.
                  2019 Imagine 2670MK
                  2020 F250 6.7 Lariat
                  1983 Hottie Wife

Comment

I have been successful in very easily running wiring from charge controller mounted behind drawers in bedroom closet behind the fuse panel to the battery bank. Renergy solar kit came with wiring the EXACT length I needed.

TucsonJim do you expect I will have any unexpected challenges when snaking wiring from roof to fuse panel area as per my idea in my previous post?

Steve
                    2019 Imagine 2670MK
                    2020 F250 6.7 Lariat
                    1983 Hottie Wife

Comment

Working...
                    X