Electrical / Battery questions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical / Battery questions...

I have a new 2600RB. Have a few questions as I'm new to the trailer life.

1. Reading through the GD owner's manual I was given I came across this statement "ALWAYS turn OFF the power converter BEFORE disconnecting the battery" (page 79). Is this correct?
    With my type of trailer does this mean turning off the load center main 120v circuit breaker before disconnecting my negative battery cable?

2. With regard to connecting trailer to shore power, the manual also states that the load center main 120v circuit breaker should be turned off before connecting to the shore power (page 80). Is this necessary? I've watched a lot of set up videos but I have not seen any of them messing around with any of the trailer internal circuit breakers.

As an alternative can I just do the following without switching any circuit breakers inside of the trailer...
    A) at the shore power post make sure breaker is off,
    B) plug in surge protector,
    C) turn shore power breaker on and verify through surge protector power is OK to use
    D) turn off shore power circuit breaker
    E) Install power cord between the trailer and surge protector
    F) Turn shore power circuit breaker back on (after surge protector start up routine - couple minutes - the trailer should now have power)
    G) Go into trailer and make sure power is working

3. The 2600RB has a solar panel installed and I just want to confirm that as long as I have the tongue (house) battery hooked up (and no sort of disconnect switch turned off) the solar panels will be providing a charge to this battery...is that correct? I assume if this is true I don't need to always disconnect my battery from the system between trips. For instance if I come home and am leaving again in a week or two (assuming I am parked in an area where I will get some sun. Or, is it a better practice just to always disconnect my battery between trips?

Thanks!
    Ken
    2022 Imagine 2600RB
    2022 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 6.6l Gas

# 1. The reason they state this is so there is no "spark" related when disconnecting a battery cable. If you are not attached to shore power you will not need to worry about this. If you are attached to shore power then you could turn off the breaker marked "converter" then disconnect the battery.

#2. Your plan for connecting to shore power is a good one, I would stick with that.

#3. You will have to determine yourself that the Solar Controller is connected directly to the battery and does not go thru the disconnect switch, this can be accomplished with a volt meter on the battery. If the Solar Controller is providing power to the battery you should see a change in voltage, maybe 14 v dc , check this with the battery disconnect on and off.

Another tid bit of info on the Solar, There is no switch between the solar controller and the battery. If disconnect the battery during daylight hours, solar panel providing power to the controller, then you will get a spark when connecting or disconnecting the battery cables. You may take a moment an add a breaker or battery disconnect switch between the solar controller and the battery.

As long as you are getting solar power the panel should keep your battery charged. If not you will likely have a dead battery in a week.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
      Another tid bit of info on the Solar, There is no switch between the solar controller and the battery. If disconnect the battery during daylight hours, solar panel providing power to the controller, then you will get a spark when connecting or disconnecting the battery cables. You may take a moment an add a breaker or battery disconnect switch between the solar controller and the battery.

Brian
      Brian - I don't have solar, but I have read that the solar controller could be damaged if the solar panels are connected to it in the sun with no battery load. Is this correct?
      Mike and (RIP Karen)
      2021 2600RB
      2011 Tundra 5.7 DC

Comment

Originally posted by AZMike View Post

Brian - I don't have solar, but I have read that the solar controller could be damaged if the solar panels are connected to it in the sun with no battery load. Is this correct?
        Mike,

I am not sure about that, still learning the solar thing. With my setup I have a switch between the solar and the controller as well as between the controller and the batteries. Hopefully others will respond with the correct knowledge to this.

Brian
        Brian & Michelle
        2018 Reflection 29RS
        2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by kd2600RB View Post
          "ALWAYS turn OFF the power converter BEFORE disconnecting the battery" (page 79). Is this correct?
          Yes...in other words....you are not plugged into shore power when disconnecting.

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
          2021 303RLS
          Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Originally posted by kd2600RB View Post
            I
            2. With regard to connecting trailer to shore power, the manual also states that the load center main 120v circuit breaker should be turned off before connecting to the shore power (page 80). Is this necessary?
            When connecting to a pedestal, I turn the breaker off at the pedestal. Turn it back on after connection.

2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
            2021 303RLS
            Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
              # 1. The reason they state this is so there is no "spark" related when disconnecting a battery cable. If you are not attached to shore power you will not need to worry about this. If you are attached to shore power then you could turn off the breaker marked "converter" then disconnect the battery.

#2. Your plan for connecting to shore power is a good one, I would stick with that.

#3. You will have to determine yourself that the Solar Controller is connected directly to the battery and does not go thru the disconnect switch, this can be accomplished with a volt meter on the battery. If the Solar Controller is providing power to the battery you should see a change in voltage, maybe 14 v dc , check this with the battery disconnect on and off.

As long as you are getting solar power the panel should keep your battery charged. If not you will likely have a dead battery in a week.

Brian
              I would add the battery disconnect between the panel and controller, not controller and battery. In my Momentum 21G the battery disconnect does not disconnect solar. If you have lithium batteries you should install the disconnect between the panel and charger as I mentioned above so your batteries aren't constantly 100% SOC.
              2022 Momentum 21G with factory 300w solar and generator
              2022 F-350 Lariat 6.7 PSD
              x2 206ah SOK LiFePO4 batteries

Comment

Working...
              X