Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DC-DC Charger Budget Setup (Cost & Ease of Install)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC-DC Charger Budget Setup (Cost & Ease of Install)

Before I go over my setup, I did this mod to get correct charge voltage to my trailer’s lithium batteries, not to maximize charging from my truck’s alternators.

For my Momentum 23G I have two GC2 pattern 100 Ah Battleborn batteries, with the factory 300w Jaboni solar system and a WFCO WF-8950L2-MBA Lithium Power Converter installed. So everything is lithium compatible except for charging through the 7 way connector when towing. Through that connection my truck puts out about 8-9 amps as measured by the Victron Shunt on the trailer. The problem is when the truck’s smart alternators (I have dual alternators, 6.7L diesel 2019 F250) decide to drop voltage to ~13.6 volts, amperage to the trailer batteries drops to zero no matter how full the lithium batteries are. For example, on my last drive back from camping the batteries were at about 80%, but were not taking a charge from the truck because the alternators were putting out less than 14 volts.

To solve this I looked at DC-DC chargers to install on the power wire of the 7 way plug. Since I know the power wire on the 7 way plug is 12-10 gauge at best on the truck and trailer, and is about 20 feet in total length, I wanted a DC-DC charger that put out no more than 10 amps to not overload that line. I settled on the Renogy 20amp charger using the 10amp current limit option. I located a place to install it on the frame underneath the front cap and used 10 gauge wire to tap into the 7 way junction box on the trailer. I replaced the wire nut and electrical tape on the positive wire with a 10 gauge butt connector, and replaced the ground wire to the 5-way wago connection inside the junction box with a 10 gauge stranded wire with an eyelet connector rather than the hard green wire wrapped around the negative ground on the junction box. I did this so I could run the DC-DC Charger ground wire to that same ground point also using an eyelet connector. Hopefully you can see all this in the pictures so it makes more sense.

Everything works as planned and I now get 10 amps to the trailer all the way until the batteries are full, and only then does it drop off when the batteries are over 99%. I did have one issue though. When I first plugged in the 7 way and started the truck I did not get any power. The DC-DC charger light was green, just no power output. After taking a break and coming back the next day, it turns out when I installed the charger I accidentally bumped the dip switches and messed up the charge parameters. Once I set them correctly everything worked as expected! Attached are the before and after pictures.

There is so much confusing information online on what the 7 way plug can and cannot support power output wise, so I wanted to share my setup in case this helps anyone. Not all tow vehicles are the same, so the above may only work for newer Ford Super Duty trucks.
    Attached Files
    Dan M.
    2022 Momentum 23G
    2019 F250 6.7L

Nice writeup. Have you considered changing from the open metal box to a https://www.amazon.com/MICTUNING-Hea...%2C101&sr=8-41 I changed the one on our 5er, much more confidence in the plug and all of it's connections now. I went through and put ring terminals on every wire so they all connect properly.
    Joseph
    Tow
    Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
    Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
    South of Houston Texas

Comment

Nice job!

My concern would be water spray from traveling in the rain. I know you are tight on room but I would rather have the charger inside where it will remain dry.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
        Nice job!

My concern would be water spray from traveling in the rain. I know you are tight on room but I would rather have the charger inside where it will remain dry.

Brian
        I agree. It does not look like it is meant to be exposed to the elements...I could be wrong though.
        Thanks for posting 74barrio!
        2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
        2021 303RLS
        Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

Excellent post! As Brian has stated, the Renogy is not water tight so you may wish to mount it inside the rig.

Jim

Comment

Just thought about it, OP could try a box like https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...ating-smoothly was used for the handles. Just put a couple of small drain holes in the bottom to ensure any condensation can leak out.
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Jlawles2 I'm actually helping my friend install that very same 7 way plug and housing tomorrow on the weekend warrior I sold him. The junction box and wire connections inside on that trailer are pretty rusted and he was having connection/power issue the last time he towed the trailer.

It looks like a good product; however, the junction box and Wago connectors inside look real good on my trailer and all the connections are solid. So I can't see the need to replace that right now, but I'll have the knowledge/experience if and when that time comes.
              Dan M.
              2022 Momentum 23G
              2019 F250 6.7L

Comment

I hear everyone's concerns on possible water exposure from driving in the rain. I live in the desert in SoCal, so to say it doesn't rain much here is an understatement. Where I mounted it is completely underneath the front end cap, inside the A Frame, so water spray should be at a minimum...but I could be wrong. Time will tell.

The DC-DC Charger manual does say "set the product up in a dry location protected from splashing water," but it also says it can be installed "along a chassis rail, the inner guard of a vehicle, behind the grille or
                headlight or even on the side of the radiator," so its sounds like it "can" be installed in an environment exposed to some water. I don't see water splashing directly on it where its installed; however, I could see water possibly misting on it driving in a heavy rain. Its vertically mounted so any water should fall off quickly. Here are some more pictures better showing where its mounted.
                Attached Files
                Dan M.
                2022 Momentum 23G
                2019 F250 6.7L

Comment

Echoing what everyone else has said, there's no way that thing survives the first rain where it's mounted. Good write-up though. I keep debating on doing something similar with a victron but would probably opt for the 30a model just because I have a bigger battery bank. When determining wire size with a DC to DC charger as long as you don't exceed the temp rating of the wire you should be fine. The cable from the charger to batteries is really the bigger concern also. The loss factor isn't really an issue.

I'm surprised you felt it was necessary though with the 300w of solar and living in socal? You mentioned you don't see any charging while driving on the victron monitor, are you not generating solar? I did a test last week and in Denver with our current low sun I was still making 10 amps at 9am with the factory 300w panel. I imagine mid-day sun would be closer to 20. Obviously not helpful if you're looking for a charge at night though. That should be enough to run the fridge and give you 5-15 amps charge.
                  2022 Momentum 21G with factory 300w solar and generator
                  2022 F-350 Lariat 6.7 PSD
                  x2 206ah SOK LiFePO4 batteries

Comment

NickinCO The solar works fine, but I was driving early in the AM before the sun was really up and shining on the panels. I've read many conflicting information on amps vs wire length/gauge that to be safe I just wanted to match the power output of what my truck was putting out through the 7 way. For a test I could un-jumper the LC+ wire and see if I can get 20 amps; however, if the truck 7 way plug is powered with 12 gauge wire from the fuse box instead of 10 gauge, 20 amps would be a bit much at that length and to me not worth the risk.

If the DC-DC charger craps out driving in the rain, oh well it was worth a shot at that location. I've got fuses on both sides of the charger just in case. I could move it to behind the panel in the front storage area where the inverter and Jaboni solar charger are located, but that would add at least 5 more feet of cabling on both the input and output sides.
                    Dan M.
                    2022 Momentum 23G
                    2019 F250 6.7L

Comment

Ampacity charts work well in determining wire size. I have to concur, your Renogy will not make it where its located. With its exposed board, it's simply not intended for even high humidity areas such as when its raining. Its best to take the overseas descriptions with a grain of salt but in mounting suggestions they seem to have got it right. An excellent post but the mounting location will void the warranty if that matters.

From the Renogy manual:

Location Considerations
                      ● The battery charger can be installed horizontally as well as vertically.
                      ● The battery charger must be installed in a place that is protected from moisture.
                      ● The battery charger may not be installed in the presence of flammable materials.
                      ● The battery charger may not be installed in a dusty environment.
                      ● The place of installation must be well ventilated. A ventilation system must be available for installations in small, enclosed spaces. The minimum clearance around the batterycharger must be at least 5cm.

http://wiresizecalculator.net/calcul...reampacity.htm

Jim
                      Last edited by Guest; 03-19-2022, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 74barrio View Post
                        NickinCO The solar works fine, but I was driving early in the AM before the sun was really up and shining on the panels. I've read many conflicting information on amps vs wire length/gauge that to be safe I just wanted to match the power output of what my truck was putting out through the 7 way. For a test I could un-jumper the LC+ wire and see if I can get 20 amps; however, if the truck 7 way plug is powered with 12 gauge wire from the fuse box instead of 10 gauge, 20 amps would be a bit much at that length and to me not worth the risk.

If the DC-DC charger craps out driving in the rain, oh well it was worth a shot at that location. I've got fuses on both sides of the charger just in case. I could move it to behind the panel in the front storage area where the inverter and Jaboni solar charger are located, but that would add at least 5 more feet of cabling on both the input and output sides.
                        My plan if I need one is to mount it inside a battery box on the tongue. Not sure if that's an option for you but it would be pretty easy to do!

Comment

Originally posted by NickinCO View Post

My plan if I need one is to mount it inside a battery box on the tongue. Not sure if that's an option for you but it would be pretty easy to do!
                          That was my first idea, but the Battle Born batteries barley fit in the battery box as is.
                          Dan M.
                          2022 Momentum 23G
                          2019 F250 6.7L

Comment

Guest I hear you. I guess the only way I'll find out is when I take my big trip in August to Idaho and Montana. If it fails or starts causing problems on that trip I'll pull the fuses and won't have power from the 7 way plug.

Its so dry where I live and camp in the desert that moisture and humidity are not a problem and it seldom rains.
                            Dan M.
                            2022 Momentum 23G
                            2019 F250 6.7L

Comment

Originally posted by 74barrio View Post

That was my first idea, but the Battle Born batteries barley fit in the battery box as is.
                              Can always swap boxes. I used a dewalt tool box from Home Depot for two SOK 206's. Should be able to find something for around $100 that would work! Or $300ish if you wanted a fancy stainless box. Just ideas I'm sure you've already thought of. I can't see it lasting long even if you decide to drive down a dirt road where it is now! At least thinking of the Sterling I had... it had a lot
                              of vents that would take in dust. I'm sure they're all similar.

Comment

Working...
                              X