Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Furrion Solar Connection to SAE Power Port (Mod)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Furrion Solar Connection to SAE Power Port (Mod)

This mod is not 100% complete, but I'm so pleased with the initial results I couldn't wait to post about it.

My '19 315RLTS came with a Furrion external solar connection that has a proprietary connector. Useless. I'd completely removed the device from my trailer's wiring.

So why did I do this mod? An external 12V connection point would make life a lot easier when using the Flojet Macerator and external water pump. While contemplating the best way (for me) to accomplish the goal of an external connection I wondered if I could use the space consumed by the Furrion connector to install a 12V outlet. Not only did I use the space but I reused the Furrion's connector frame!

Here's where the Furrion is located and what it looked like originally.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Furrion 1.JPG Views:	0 Size:	128.3 KB ID:	79772

What I did was use a dremel and drill to remove the Furrion connectors and plastic components. The result? An SAE power port! (You might notice on the edge of the rim I allowed the spinning shaft of the dremel to contact thus there are some wear marks...don't do that. )

Click image for larger version  Name:	Furrion 2.JPG Views:	0 Size:	133.3 KB ID:	79773

The lid closed perfectly without the included Tecmate cap. It removes easily. (You'll see the cap in the picture at the end of this post.)

The #8 screws that are holding the Furrion to the trailer will be replaced with #10s as the fixture did not snug up like I want. The #10s will not be self-tapping.

For power I connected an SAE connector to the input side of the 30A self-resetting breaker after the battery disconnect. What this does effectively is connect the SAE to the battery but power will be removed when the battery disconnect is set to OFF. The wiring is protected with a 30A fuse.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Master Diagram Snip.JPG Views:	0 Size:	108.7 KB ID:	79774

The wiring from the Furrion SAE to the battery's SAE will be through an existing hole in the front frame. To get the Furrion cable to where I want it I'll have to drill a hole in the catch tray, but it's no big deal. Once that's all done I'll post pics of the actual wiring and how I ran it.

So...more to come over the next several days as I wrap up this project.

Howard

P.S. Parts used so far:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Tecmate.JPG Views:	0 Size:	142.1 KB ID:	79775
    Last edited by howson; 07-09-2022, 06:48 AM.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Completed the install and tested it today--worked exactly as expected (yea!).

Click image for larger version

Name:	wiring front.JPG
Views:	352
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	79877

What may not be obvious from the pictures is the two sections of wire are connected together using their SAE connectors and that connection protected with the sleeve that came with the TecMate. Could not have been easier to assemble.

Name:	wiring two.JPG
Views:	357
Size:	229.0 KB
ID:	79876
    The 20' cable used outside the trailer to power 12V accessories is stored just inside the passthru door.

Name:	cord.JPG
Views:	395
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	79874

I tested the setup with the Flojet macerator (clean water, obviously!). Only slight modification was providing some strain relief at the Furrion - to - cable connection (using the same Wrap-It used to store the wire). Not 100% required but made me feel better about it. That's why it looks like spaghetti at the Furrion connector--the wire is looped back and held in place by the lid.

Name:	works great.JPG
Views:	363
Size:	190.4 KB
ID:	79875

Very pleased with the results.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I have been debating on what to do with mine post electrical upgrades. I love this. Torn between this and adding additional solar (which may require a different plug and would require another MPPT solar charge controller, as well as a portable panel - never enough room for all the stuff!), but that seems unlikely. Well done.
      2020 Imagine 2400BH
      2017 Ford F350 Platinum FX4/4x4 SuperCrew 6.7L V8 Diesel 9' Bed SRW, Leveled + Airbags

Our Mods

Comment

Howson, let me just say I appreciate the time and attention to detail that you give us with your pics, diagrams, and detailed descriptions of the work you are doing. VERY helpful! Thank you.
        2021 GD Imagine 2500RL with 600 watts of Solar added.
        2017 GMC 2500 Duramax

Comment

Working...
        X