Upgrade Battery Power

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade Battery Power

Hello! I've "inherited" an IMAGINE 2500RL with a single Group 24 battery. I'd like to try some "Boondocking" and would like to upgrade to two Group 27 batteries. Here are my thoughts:
    1) I'll need to strengthen the supports to carry the additional weight?
    2) I'd like to install a separate battery charger of higher capacity. How do I bypass the installed charger, or will it not be affected by the additional charger?
    3) With common sense use of water and electrical my batteries and propane should carry me at least two days?
    I'd welcome any and all comments as this will be a new adventure! Thanks!
    Bill & Heather
    2020 Imagine 2500RL
    2018 F-150 Super Cab
    Old Orchard, ME

Hi Bill & Heather,

​​​​​​Welcome to our owners technical forum. When you have a chance, have a look at our welcome post. https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members . This will help you set up your signature and navigate the forum.

The year of your Imagine will be important to this discussion. Your plan looks to be workable. You probably don't need a new battery charger ("converter" in RV terms). You can't force a battery to absorb charge faster than its natural rate. Will you be charging the batteries with a generator during your boondocking or running with just the shorepower change from before you leave?

There are several experts on boondocking who will likely be along shortly.

Rob
    Cate & Rob
    (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
    2015 Reflection 303RLS
    2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
    Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

WillyNilly -- welcome to the forum. There's a thread in the Electrical channel's Reference Material section I urge you to walk through. The material should help tremendously with your decision making process.

Link to that thread is here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...ithium-battery

Spoiler alert: sell the old battery and invest in a single LifePO4 100aH battery and upgrade the RV's inverter to charge the new battery--money and time well spent.

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
      2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

WillyNilly Bill, you may find that the battery tray in the front on the tongue is strong enough for 2 batteries. Should you choose to upgrade it to 2 batteries or a LiFePO4, you may want to look into either a stock locking battery box or a custom box (local aluminum or steel fabricator should be able to assist relatively inexpensive if you do not have the skills).

Most converters will provide enough amperage to charge 2 batteries much faster than a conventional charger (unless you plan on charging on in jump mode). If you find that the converter is not charging fast enough after the upgrade to the batteries (, you will need to invest in both a new converter and in most cases probably an upgrade to the wiring from the batteries to the converter).]

The smallest of converters produces 12 amps, and the larger 100 amps or more. Look up the model and see how much it's putting out. You may be pleasantly surprised.

https://wfcoelectronics.com
        Joseph
        Tow
        Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
        Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
        South of Houston Texas

Comment

I'm not familiar with the IMAGINE 2500RL, but if that trailer has standard battery rails on the tongue I'm not sure two Group 27 batteries will fit side by side. I think the best you can do is two Group 24 batteries, or going with GC2 pattern batteries with a box that sits on top of the rails.

I got along ok with two group 24 batteries on my previous trailer that had a propane/120v fridge. Had to run the generator a couple of hours a day though when boon docking and I did have 300 watts of solar. However, I don't think you can make it two days without some sort of power source unless you are really frugal power wise (i.e. no stereo, tv running on an inverter, furnace use, etc.)
          Dan M.
          2022 Momentum 23G
          2019 F250 6.7L

Comment

Many thanks to all...great info and your help is truly appreciated! Bill & Heather
            Bill & Heather
            2020 Imagine 2500RL
            2018 F-150 Super Cab
            Old Orchard, ME

Comment

We were discussing this the other night, wife and I, that our previous TT we could dry camp for the weekend and our new RV will hardly make it over night. There are a few more "electronic" devices that require 12 v dc to operate, which draws the battery down. It it also worth noting that the type of battery that you have is important. If the deep cycle you are using now is a "cheaper" model it seems they do not last very long, where a better model may last the weekend, I think our dealer installed a "cheap" one on our unit. If you are only going to boondock once and a while you may be better off with a generator, this can also be used for many other things as well. If you plan to do more boondocking you may want to go the Lithium route, there are lots of lithium batteries that are fairly inexpensive, around $500, which have good reviews.

Make the plan for what and how you will camp and see how it all goes , you can always improve the set up.

Brian
              Brian & Michelle
              2018 Reflection 29RS
              2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

A single LiFeP04 lithium 100ah battery will exhibit the same usable power as two group 27 lead acid batteries. If you buy one lithium battery and swap out the power center with the WFCO switchable lithium capable converter, this will be the easiest install and the most functional. The lithium battery will have far less internal resistance and will charge at much less time than lead acid batteries as well.

No matter what you add, you will still need a generator to successfully boondock so this is the top accessory.

Jim

Comment

WillyNilly - welcome Bill & Heather! Brian's advice is noteworthy "Make the plan for what and how you will camp and see how it all goes , you can always improve the set up."
                  Between batteries, generators, monitors , solar, etc. you can spend a ton of money. (This forum is tremendous in helping one spend money )
                  We dry camp occasionally... usually 10-15 nights a season, 2-3 nights at a time. I have 2 group 27 AGM batteries (184 amp-hrs) on the the tongue tray rails. Weight has not been an issue. I use a 180 watt solar suitcase to provide a fair degree of recharge. This set-up works well for us. My only add (will be) a battery monitor and because we don't dry camp that much, it will be closer to $50 than $250.

Mike
                  Mike & Sonya
                  2017 Silverado 1500, 5.3, Tow Pkg, RAS
                  Blue Ox SwayPro
                  2021 2400BH (DeBunked)

Comment

Originally posted by NoPeeking View Post
                    WillyNilly - welcome Bill & Heather! Brian's advice is noteworthy "Make the plan for what and how you will camp and see how it all goes , you can always improve the set up."
                    Between batteries, generators, monitors , solar, etc. you can spend a ton of money. (This forum is tremendous in helping one spend money )
                    We dry camp occasionally... usually 10-15 nights a season, 2-3 nights at a time. I have 2 group 27 AGM batteries (184 amp-hrs) on the the tongue tray rails. Weight has not been an issue. I use a 180 watt solar suitcase to provide a fair degree of recharge. This set-up works well for us. My only add (will be) a battery monitor and because we don't dry camp that much, it will be closer to $50 than $250.

Mike

The usable ah of the combination of two lead acid batteries at 184 ah is 92ah. Still less than a single 100ah lithium battery where the lead acid batteries will take forever to charge. A 100ah lithium battery weighs 30 lbs. A single fully discharged lithium battery will charge in less than two hours. We boondock extensively in early spring and fall where below is the list of needed components at a minimum to be 100% successful since the OP is interested in dry camping. There is minimal value in solar panels in heavy cover.

1) A 3400 Watt inverter generator for a 30amp rig. This will run AC to cool down for meals or to prep for sleeping.
                    2) A single 100ah lithium battery to start. Will last two days with heat at night in spring or fall.
                    3) A compatible lithium converter. Needed for a proper charge profile.

Other items can be added to minimize generator usage depending on location and additional LiFeP04 batteries can be added along with an inverter to power some AC components. I have a portable solar panel that I will sell since it does not work on the heavily wooded lots we like to dry camp in.

Jim

Comment

Working...
                    X