Inverter install next to batteries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inverter install next to batteries

Has anyone installed their inverter in the front storage where the batteries are located and if not where did you put it and how difficult is it?
    Dennis & Phyllis Manley
    2018 Reflection 27RL; 2008 Silverado 2500HD 4X4

I installed mine in the front compartment with the batteries. As long as you use a vented box (like the factory one) there should be no issue.
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
    2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
    2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Originally posted by ncitro View Post
      I installed mine in the front compartment with the batteries. As long as you use a vented box (like the factory one) there should be no issue.
      Not sure I understand what you mean about using a vented box. We have a Xantrex ProWatt SW2000 that has built-in vents but no additional vent box. Even if we install the inverter in the pass-through storage and run the cables through the front storage wall there is no outside venting in there. The two batteries in the front storage area are in battery boxes at one end of the storage and are vented to the outside. The inverter install instructions say not to install in same area as batteries but it would be easier, if safe, to install the inverter toward the other end of the front storage.
      Dennis & Phyllis Manley

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis&Phyllis View Post

Not sure I understand what you mean about using a vented box. We have a Xantrex ProWatt SW2000 that has built-in vents but no additional vent box. Even if we install the inverter in the pass-through storage and run the cables through the front storage wall there is no outside venting in there. The two batteries in the front storage area are in battery boxes at one end of the storage and are vented to the outside. The inverter install instructions say not to install in same area as batteries but it would be easier, if safe, to install the inverter toward the other end of the front storage.
        It's about the batteries, not the inverter. If both of your batteries are in covered boxes and vented to the outside you should have no problem. If the batteries are lithium there is no venting or boxing requirement. Mount the Xantrex to the other side and you should be ok.
        2017 310GK

Comment

Dennis&Phyllis

An inverter can be a "source of ignition" meaning that it could create a spark during normal operation. This can be as simple as a switching relay. Lead/acid batteries give off hydrogen gas which is highly flammable. This is why the inverter installation instruction say to not put an inverter in the same area as the batteries. Because your batteries are vented to the outside, they are not "in the same area" as the inverter. The reason that the battery boxes are vented is that there are lots of other potential sources of ignition in the front compartment. Motors, switches and relays can all be sources of ignition for a flammable gas. As long as the batteries are externally vented, you can put the inverter anywhere in the front compartment. Actually . . . the closer to the batteries the better . . . from an electrical current perspective.

Rob
          Cate & Rob
          (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
          2015 Reflection 303RLS
          2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
          Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

Originally posted by Cate&Rob View Post
            Dennis&Phyllis

An inverter can be a "source of ignition" meaning that it could create a spark during normal operation. This can be as simple as a switching relay. Lead/acid batteries give off hydrogen gas which is highly flammable. This is why the inverter installation instruction say to not put an inverter in the same area as the batteries. Because your batteries are vented to the outside, they are not "in the same area" as the inverter. The reason that the battery boxes are vented is that there are lots of other potential sources of ignition in the front compartment. Motors, switches and relays can all be sources of ignition for a flammable gas. As long as the batteries are externally vented, you can put the inverter anywhere in the front compartment. Actually . . . the closer to the batteries the better . . . from an electrical current perspective.

Rob
            Rob thank you and JeffC as well for explaining it . I think my DH has decided to put it in the pass-thru instead but at least now we both have a better understanding.
            Dennis & Phyllis Manley

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis&Phyllis View Post

Sorry as everyone has explained I meant vented battery boxes. The closer you put the inverter to the batteries the better (reduced voltage drop).
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Neil Citro
              2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
              2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

Working...
              X