No announcement yet.

Furrion MPPT 50A and battery disconnects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bruce - please do yourself a favor and get some black and red electricians tape and correctly mark the wires. In my book a red wire should never be connected to a negative terminal, so put a black band on both ends. Same with the black wire connected to the positive terminal - a red band should be on the wire at the ends to correctly identify it.

I would personalty clean this up and wire it a recommended by others. And Yes GD did not do this either as the positive wire from the disconnect switch to the junction and then to the distribution panel are black in thier wiring. They are the two heavy black wires on the same terminal lower connection far right. I have it on my to-do list to wrap the ends in red tape. Just need to get some red electricians tape.

Just my 02
    Safe travels

Keith
    2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

My ocd is way more than tape. I’m buying new cables.
      Bruce and Michelle - and Callie (GSD)
      2019 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4L HEMI
      2023 Reflection 303RLS (purchased 9/2022)

Comment

jbt816

Edit: Updated to add OEM battery disconnect.

I believe this first pic shows how your trailer is wired (just looking at the battery and solar controller connections):

Click image for larger version  Name:	01 Now how its wired.jpg Views:	0 Size:	44.0 KB ID:	97210

Below is how I'd wire my camper (if I understand the requirements laid out in these threads). Keep in mind I'm not an electrician and just an owner like you, so scrutinize accordingly. Note I didn't try to match the wire colors actually on the camper.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2 How I would do it.jpg Views:	0 Size:	52.6 KB ID:	97209

The Blue Sea e-series battery on/off switch's ratings are above anything the camper will experience. https://www.bluesea.com/products/900...Battery_Switch

There's no need for a self-resetting breaker on the solar circuit. Assuming the array will not be expanded (left as delivered by GD) then a 50A circuit breaker with a shutoff will suffice, (Pic shows my 120A--that's way too big. Get a marine-rated 50A and it will work fine.)

The circuit above should give you the ability to isolate the solar controller from the batteries and completely isolate the camper from the batteries. (You can leave the OEM disconnect as installed.)

Note that the new disconnect will also remove power from the emergency brake system. A conservative approach (might be wise?) is to connect the e-brake power wire on the battery side of the new disconnect (so the emergency brake switch will never lose power).

Hope this helps. I know others are reading along, so please random reader, if you see something that doesn't make sense or you have a different approach chime in.

Howard
        Last edited by howson; 10-15-2022, 06:33 AM.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
        2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Thanks. You’re cut/paste/edit skills are as awesome as your wiring skills.

Comment

Thank you howson - new battery box for two, disconnects and breaker. Plus cleaned up the bird nest of wires.
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by jbt816 View Post
              Thank you howson - new battery box for two, disconnects and breaker. Plus cleaned up the bird nest of wires.

Can I make one more suggestion based on what I see in the picture? (I hope you take this as a constructive input.)

Get a cover for the positive battery connection. Kind of the same type of cover that's typically seen on the positive of a car battery. ​A cover can prevent an accidental short between the battery terminals. (It would not be good if that were to happen.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cover Please.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	99010
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

Can I make one more suggestion based on what I see in the picture? (I hope you take this as a constructive input.)

Get a cover for the positive battery connection. Kind of the same type of cover that's typically seen on the positive of a car battery. ​A cover can prevent an accidental short between the battery terminals. (It would not be good if that were to happen.)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cover Please.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	99010
                Absolutely!!

Actually I wondered why that box didn't come with some sort of cover so that I didn't lay my arm across both terminals. But you're right, I need to find something.

Comment

something like this? https://www.amazon.com/Fastronix-Stu...-2-spons&psc=1
                  Joseph
                  Tow
                  Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                  Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                  South of Houston Texas

Comment

We took a three week trip back in March. I put the RV in covered storage and turned off my new main disconnect as well as the solar disconnect.

It has been eight weeks. Today when I went to pick up the RV, my batteries were at 9 V. 😭

The batteries were new September 2022. My new disconnect cuts off everything so there are no phantom draws. Is this just normal?

Comment

We took a three week trip back in March. I put the RV in covered storage and turned off my new main disconnect as well as the solar disconnect.

It has been eight weeks. Today when I went to pick up the RV, my batteries were at 9 V. 😭

The batteries were new September 2022. My new disconnect cuts off everything so there are no phantom draws. Is this just normal?
                      I don't think so--according to what is on the internet a healthy lead-acid should only lose about 4-6% of it's state-of-charge (SoC) per month. Given 8 weeks is about two months, and assuming worst-case, that's a 12% drop. A typical battery chart shows 100% is about 12.9V, so a 12% drop should have a voltage around 12.7V.

Either the battery failed for any number of reasons (it was fully charged when you disconnected it, right?) or there's a still a parasitic draw somewhere that has alluded the new switch.

Howard

Howard & Francine

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

I don't think so--according to what is on the internet a healthy lead-acid should only lose about 4-6% of it's state-of-charge (SoC) per month. Given 8 weeks is about two months, and assuming worst-case, that's a 12% drop. A typical battery chart shows 100% is about 12.9V, so a 12% drop should have a voltage around 12.7V.

Either the battery failed for any number of reasons (it was fully charged when you disconnected it, right?) or there's a still a parasitic draw somewhere that has alluded the new switch.

Howard
                        interesting. I guess I have some work to do. Now I wonder if I’ve ruined the batteries.

Comment

You may want to swap the disconnect to the negative side of the battery bank if it's not already there. I have heard of batteries loosing charge over time with the disconnect on the positive side, but not when on the negative side? I cannot explain and it's a rabbit hole I hope to never go down.
                          Joseph
                          Tow
                          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Jlawles2 View Post
                            You may want to swap the disconnect to the negative side of the battery bank if it's not already there. I have heard of batteries loosing charge over time with the disconnect on the positive side, but not when on the negative side? I cannot explain and it's a rabbit hole I hope to never go down.
                            You’re right. I should’ve put the disco on the negative side.

Comment

You’re right. I should’ve put the disco on the negative side.
                              Wouldn't matter - as long as it disconnects everything.
                              Ottertail, Minnesota
                              2022 Imagine 2500RL VIN 573TE3029N6637046
                              2022 Ford F-150 Lariat, SuperCrew, long box, max tow

Comment

Originally posted by AlexPeterson View Post

Wouldn't matter - as long as it disconnects everything.
                                Possibly. In boating there can be parasitic draws when disconnecting the positive. I don’t know if I have that issue. But the main reason for using the negative would be for safety.

Comment

Working...
                                X