Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lithium conversion

Please check my plan.
    I have a 30ft tow trailer with 30 amp shore power. I'm converting to 100 ah lithium battery.
    Old battery is on trailer tongue 20 ft from converter, with 8ga. Wires.
    I plant to locate new progressive pd9160alv 12v to a lower cabinet beside my old converter/ fuse panel. Also the battery will be in same cabinet. It has good ventilation also.
    Currently my chassis ground is on Frame at front of trailer.
    Plan is to disconnect old ground from frame and run new 4ga. wire to frame about 4 ft from new battery location.
    I will relocate 30 amp breaker from front of camper to new battery area to protect 8ga. wire feeding front of camper.​

Hi Kyaker5,
    Which year and model of trailer?
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

With the 60 A output on the pd9160alv depending on the charge state and profile of the battery, that 30 A may be a problem. My Renogy LiFePO batteries are rated at 50 A max charging. If you plan on having a single battery, the 60 Amp output seems like more than you need
      - Eric P. (2021 Transcend XPLOR 200MK)

Comment

2021 2600rb

Comment

New to this forum trying to figure it out. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Kyaker5 View Post
            Welcome... lithium upgrades and power is a tough place to start... bring a good sense of humor along, its a lot like a Laura Numeroff story... "If you give a Moose a Muffin..."

Comment

Not a problem. A great place to start is the Welcome Letter to New Members https://gdrvowners.com/forum/main-fo...to-new-members
              Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine

Comment

Kyaker5 -- moved your thread to the Electrical channel. (You'll learn all about channels in the Welcome Letter!)

Howard & Francine

Comment

Originally posted by epearce View Post
                  With the 60 A output on the pd9160alv depending on the charge state and profile of the battery, that 30 A may be a problem. My Renogy LiFePO batteries are rated at 50 A max charging. If you plan on having a single battery, the 60 Amp output seems like more than you need
                  Your correct if a 30amp breaker alone is used between the battery and the converter.
                  When I installed my PD 60amp Lithium converter, I used an 80amp breaker at the battery and a 30amp breaker to the rig on its original circuit. This protects the battery should the converter fail and the 30amp protects the rig. The breaker size was recommended from Progressive Dynamics. My Lithium battery can take a 100amp charge but 0.5C is best for longevity on these battery types. Check the specifications on the battery that is being used.

Its also important to install the 4 AWG braided cable into the converter so the cable will not pull out. I used ferrules but did not pre-crimp them. The screws on the Progressive Dynamics unit was used to dimple the ferrules which made the cable connections impossible to work loose. This is really important.

If the cable ferrules are not used, wiggle the cable after its tightened and folks will be amazed at how easy it is to pull the cable out of the converter.

Jim

Comment

One of the disadvantages of the stock WFCO PDP is that since it combines the AC distribution, DC distribution, and converter/charger all in one unit, and uses a single DC from the battery, you cannot independently protect both the charger current and the PDP input 12+ current. You do still have the fuses on the PDP protecting the individual circuits. It also leaves you with a long big high-current DC line to feed the battery from the charger, as the charger is now a long ways from the batteries in a typical installation.

I would be concerned about how to limite the PD 60 output so you do not drive to much current into your single battery.

Comment

Originally posted by epearce View Post
                      One of the disadvantages of the stock WFCO PDP is that since it combines the AC distribution, DC distribution, and converter/charger all in one unit, and uses a single DC from the battery, you cannot independently protect both the charger current and the PDP input 12+ current. You do still have the fuses on the PDP protecting the individual circuits. It also leaves you with a long big high-current DC line to feed the battery from the charger, as the charger is now a long ways from the batteries in a typical installation.

I would be concerned about how to limit the PD 60 output so you do not drive to much current into your single battery.
                      If you tap off the line that originally came from the tongue mounted battery, all circuit protection would be the same with the exception of installing a 30amp breaker at the new battery location. The power source. Each lithium battery will have different specifications. The 60amps from my PD converter is just hair above 0.5C (0.6C) that my single 100ah AIMs battery can handle.

Jim

Comment

Finally got lithium battery and progressive dynamics lithium charger installed. Dry camped 4 nights at Ohiopyle state park avg 40 degrees at night. Lithium battery worked great, my original 65ah lead acid probably would have lasted about 4 hours as much my heater came on. The battery charged at 55amps in about one and a half hours with my 2500watt generator. I charged it once per day.Only problem I have is my Renogy shunt battery monitor doesn't seem very accurate. Battery was completely dead and I calibrated monitor but it still seems incorrect. Anyone have opinions on Victron smart shunt? they are pricey but sounds like they work better.

Comment

Finally got lithium battery and progressive dynamics lithium charger installed. Dry camped 4 nights at Ohiopyle state park avg 40 degrees at night. Lithium battery worked great, my original 65ah lead acid probably would have lasted about 4 hours as much my heater came on. The battery charged at 55amps in about one and a half hours with my 2500watt generator. I charged it once per day.Only problem I have is my Renogy shunt battery monitor doesn't seem very accurate. Battery was completely dead and I calibrated monitor but it still seems incorrect. Anyone have opinions on Victron smart shunt? they are pricey but sounds like they work better.
                          I have a Victron BMV-712 which comes with the gage (gauge). The smart shunt did not exist when I purchased my unit where today I would buy the smart shunt since I never look at the gauge. The blue tooth app is all you need. The Victron units are pegged (correlated or sinc'd) at full charge and with no load where I have had excellent results in SOC tracking.

Edit & correction: Gauge is to read. Gage is my grandson.

Jim
                          Last edited by Guest; 10-24-2022, 09:14 AM.

Comment

Kyaker5 -- x2 on what Guest wrote. Only tidbit I'll add is Victron now has an IP65-rated version of the SmartShunt. (IP65 basically means it can work in a harsh environment. Google it if you're unaware of what IP ratings mean.)

Howard & Francine

Comment

It's nice to be able to relax and enjoy the camping experience when you have the right equipment. Glad things worked out for you. I have a Victron Lynx Shunt that is accurate, so you got another vote for the Victron Smart Shunt
                              Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Working...
                              X