No announcement yet.

Extreme Cold Weather Towing - Lithium

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wrote this up on another post for additional info. We recently camped in PA where the nights were 32F for several hours. The lithium battery in the unheated passthrough was at 47F due to residual heat from the furnace set to 70F at night. So inside or passthrough locations on some models will aid in keeping the battery at a reasonable temp. Travel is a different story where a dedicated battery heating pad and a DCDC converter would solve the temp issue under those conditions. Otherwise, I winterized our unit yesterday and pulled the battery to be stored in a semi-heated space in our garage. Ok re-installed it and pulled it again once I realized the tongue jack was inoperative after we arrived at the storage facility. Darn!

https://www.truckcamperadventure.com...ng-system-mod/

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by T Alan B View Post
      Does anyone use a 12 volt Battery heating pad to keep the battery warm?
      I am thinking of adding some to my set up as soon as I can find some that will work with what I have.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Please keep me posted. I have one that can connect directly to the battery terminals. It can also be used as a tank warmer. I'm concerned that it may draw too much power while traveling and drain the battery. Any thoughts?

Comment

Excellent thread. I too will be heading south after the New Year and have Lithium. It will take 2 days of driving before we will be out of freezing conditions. My first thought was to just replace the lithium for the trip down with my factory lead acid that I kept. My other thought is to install a 20 watt heating pad to the lithium and insulate it from the cold. I can run the heating pad off of my inverter. The battery is in the bay under the front bedroom. 20 watts shouldn't be too hard on the battery during travel. We would plug in at night to maintain power. Amazon.com : VIVOSUN Durable Waterproof Seedling Heat Mat Warm Hydroponic Heating Pad 10" x 20.75" MET Standard : Patio, Lawn & Garden​ I'll play with this before heading out to see if it keeps it warm enough. Lead acid will be backup.
          Mitchell & Kitty
          2022 Imagine 2670MK
          2024 Ram 2500 6.7 diesel
          580 watts solar on the roof
          300 watts solar portable

Comment

Originally posted by Mitchell & Kitty View Post
            Excellent thread. I too will be heading south after the New Year and have Lithium. It will take 2 days of driving before we will be out of freezing conditions. My first thought was to just replace the lithium for the trip down with my factory lead acid that I kept. My other thought is to install a 20 watt heating pad to the lithium and insulate it from the cold. I can run the heating pad off of my inverter. The battery is in the bay under the front bedroom. 20 watts shouldn't be too hard on the battery during travel. We would plug in at night to maintain power. Amazon.com : VIVOSUN Durable Waterproof Seedling Heat Mat Warm Hydroponic Heating Pad 10" x 20.75" MET Standard : Patio, Lawn & Garden​ I'll play with this before heading out to see if it keeps it warm enough. Lead acid will be backup.
            They do make 12 v dc heating pads that will not incur the power of 10 rule when using the inverter to power the heating pad.

Brian
            Brian & Michelle
            2018 Reflection 29RS
            2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Country Campers watts are watts. 120v, 1amp or 12v, 10amps.
              Ted
              2021 Reflection 310RLS
              2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by TedS View Post
                Country Campers watts are watts. 120v, 1amp or 12v, 10amps.
                Yes but I was meaning it takes 10 times the voltage from dc to make the heating pad work, is that not correct, therefore using more battery power than a 12 v dc heating pad.

Brian
                Brian & Michelle
                2018 Reflection 29RS
                2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

Yes but I was meaning it takes 10 times the voltage from dc to make the heating pad work, is that not correct, therefore using more battery power than a 12 v dc heating pad.

Brian
                  As TedS stated, "watts are watts". Whether an appliance is drawing 10 amps of 12vDC (120 watts) or 1 amp of 120vAC (also 120 watts) from an inverter, it's the same amount of power being consumed.

The only difference when using an inverter is that there's some loss due to the inversion happening. How much depends on the quality of the inverter. Some will argue there's also some loss due to the resistance in the wiring due to the high current in a low voltage (DC) circuit (and they are right) but it doesn't change that "watts are watts".
                  Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
                  2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post

Brian
                    It take 10 times the current at 1/10 the voltage.
                    Ted
                    2021 Reflection 310RLS
                    2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post

As TedS stated, "watts are watts". Whether an appliance is drawing 10 amps of 12vDC (120 watts) or 1 amp of 120vAC (also 120 watts) from an inverter, it's the same amount of power being consumed.

The only difference when using an inverter is that there's some loss due to the inversion happening. How much depends on the quality of the inverter. Some will argue there's also some loss due to the resistance in the wiring due to the high current in a low voltage (DC) circuit (and they are right) but it doesn't change that "watts are watts".
                      True enough... but,,, in my case I already have the 120V heating pad (I brew wine and beer); the inverter plug in is right there; AND I have a 200 AH battery and solar for plenty of power while towing. I can always use a small 500 watt heater at night in the space while plugged in for my travels south until I get far enough to beat the cold.
                      Mitchell & Kitty
                      2022 Imagine 2670MK
                      2024 Ram 2500 6.7 diesel
                      580 watts solar on the roof
                      300 watts solar portable

Comment

There is more to protecting the rig than just the battery in sub temps where the plumbing system also needs attention. Buy the way we have several professional taste testers here.

Jim

Comment

25 watt brewers pad. 0.2 amps at 120v needs 2 amps from the battery into the inverter. FWIW A 200ah battery could theoretically deliver 2 amps for 100 hours. That should be enough drive time!
                          Ted
                          2021 Reflection 310RLS
                          2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Or you could just wire the 2 amp heating pad to the 12V in the pig tail and not worry about the battery draw.
                            Joseph
                            Tow
                            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
                            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
                            South of Houston Texas

Comment

12v won't drive 2 amps through the pad resistance to get 24 to 25 watts of heating. But the 0.02 amps it will drive through the pad will be a smaller draw.
                              Ted
                              2021 Reflection 310RLS
                              2020 F350 PS,CC,LB,SRW

Comment

Regarding a heating pad - the question is how many watts are needed for a given outside temperature. Not easy calculations, with lots of assumptions needed. In the end, it would come down to trying a best guess wattage and waiting around for cold weather...

I'm less worried about the actual time on the road than I am with the storage of the trailer in MN in December prior to leaving for warmer weather. Those heating pads are not known for their high quality, nor do they have overtemperature switches in more than one location. I'm not fond of leaving a heating pad on 24/7 either.

The only way I'd heat a lithium battery is with the built-in systems. YMMV.
                                Ottertail, Minnesota
                                2022 Imagine 2500RL VIN 573TE3029N6637046
                                2022 Ford F-150 Lariat, SuperCrew, long box, max tow

Comment

Working...
                                X