Yellow wire in 7-pin plug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yellow wire in 7-pin plug

The 7-pin plug on my 2020 303RLS got snagged and was temporarily pulled tight. The result was the right tail light was always on unless I disconnected the battery. I opened up the wiring junction-box in the pin box and noticed some of the wires in the 7-pin bundle had rubbed against some metal causing the short. I restored slack in the bundle and the light went off. I'll clean up the wires and move on. But... I noticed the yellow wire is not connected to anything. I don't know if it's just like this from the factory (unused?) or if it pulled out of one of the push-in connectors. Attached is a picture. Any ideas?
    2020 Reflection 303RLS

Yellow is reverse lights. Most trailers dont have them, unless you add them
    - Eric P. (2021 Transcend XPLOR 200MK)

Comment

But... looking at your picture more carefully, you do need to tape that up. Maybe it was stuffed into an unused wire nut. When you are in reverse, it will be energized and short against the metal box. Have you checked the tow vehicle reverse lights? It may have popped the fuse.
      - Eric P. (2021 Transcend XPLOR 200MK)

Comment

herman - Here's a shot from my 2017 Reflection's wiring as it came from the factory. As you can see, the yellow wire is terminated by itself in a connector so it won't short against the box when the truck is in reverse.

Click image for larger version

Name:	27294237_10212858341426324_1999683822_n.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	76.3 KB
ID:	98367
        Jim and Ginnie
        2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
        GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
        GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Thanks all. I found the severed connector for the yellow wire in the dirt below pin-box... same connector TucsonJim showed in his picture. I must have been pulled off the wire during the event. I have cleaned up the wires and all is well again!
          2020 Reflection 303RLS

Comment

Working...
          X