2021 Imagine 2800BH Furnace Overpowered in Bedroom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2021 Imagine 2800BH Furnace Overpowered in Bedroom

Hello all, last year we bought a 2021 Imagine 2800BH and it has been a fantastic upgrade to our previous campers. We have had one problem area though - HVAC operation and balance. This camper had the dreaded Furrion thermostat in the AC duct issue that I resolved thanks to UWSKIER. His advice to move the thermostat sensor to the actual thermostat using existing wiring has been a HUGE improvement. Many thanks to his hard work and great pictures!

Although the thermostat now works great, when we run the furnace it feels like 70-80% of the heat ends up in the bedroom. That room gets HOT much sooner than the rest of the camper. I do eventually feel warm air out of the rear ducts, but way, way more heat comes out of the bedroom duct. Has anyone else experienced this in a 2800BH? Is the solution to damper that bedroom vent or is there something else I need to do?

We will be going camping soon over Spring break in near freezing temps, so we'll definitely be running the furnace and I'd like to have any ideas on how to resolve this before our trip. I'm going to buy a shutter vent for the bedroom, but is there anything I can do to increase flow to the other areas? I believe it's just a "balancing act" now that the thermostat measures in a good place rather than in a non-running AC unit.

Maybe just closing the one vent in the bedroom will be enough, I don't know so I'm hoping someone else with a 2800BH has resolved this - just like UVSKIER did with the thermostat issue.

Any additional suggestions?

Thanks!
    2021 2800BH
    2021 F150 Crew

You may want to check the rear of the furnace, look at the flex duct connections, to see if they are attached correctly. The next step would be to drop the underbelly to check the duct work for kinks or bends, or even excess, lots of threads on this.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Thanks, last year I looked at the ducts in the kitchen area and plan on doing a more thorough examination on those areas as I've searched and read the forums for those responses. All I found specific to the 2800BH was other complaints about the issue, but no solutions.

Since the bedroom vent is literally 2-3 feet from the furnace and pretty straight while the back of the camper has 16+ foot runs with a lot of bends, it could just be the imbalance. I was hoping someone with a 2800BH or similar floorplan could confirm if reducing the airflow fixes this before I have to drop the underbelly - which won't be fun in freezing temps.

Mike
      2021 2800BH
      2021 F150 Crew

Comment

I did close off my bedroom duct, and it helped balance out the rest of the rig. Keep in mind the furnace needs a minimum amount of airflow or it will overheat and shut down. In my case there was enough without the bedroom and it has never been an issue. Mine is a fifth wheel, so with the bedroom over the heated storage and near the furnace itself I get enough waste heat in there to not need the duct.
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.​

Neil Citro
        2018 Reflection 28BH Pepwave
        2019 F350 6.7L Long Bed Crew Cab

Comment

I have an Imagine 2970RL and installed a shutter vent so I can almost close the direct heat off in the bedroom. We had similar issue with that room being hot when the living room being farthest from furnace was comfortable.
          Jason & Kim
          Lake Saint Louis, Missouri
          2021 Imagine 2970RL
          2016 Ford F250

Comment

I installed closable vents in the bedroom and under the flip up counter extension. The 2600RB has the same problem.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1
            Mike and (RIP Karen)
            2021 2600RB
            2011 Tundra 5.7 DC

Comment

AZMike Thanks for confirming it helped. I forgot the 2600RB has the same layout as ours for the first forward 3/4 of the trailer. Also thanks for the link!
              2021 2800BH
              2021 F150 Crew

Comment

Originally posted by mboehk View Post
                AZMike Thanks for confirming it helped. I forgot the 2600RB has the same layout as ours for the first forward 3/4 of the trailer. Also thanks for the link!
                I had forgotten that I also replaced the Tee behind the power center. The original one had a 4" outlet to the underbelly/shower register, and a smaller one (2" or 3" - I don't remember) to the register in the shoe storage next to the entrance door. I replaced the Tee with all 4" connections, so the shoe outlet also has a 4" register. It helps slightly with balancing the heat better since you can force more warm air into the living room and bathroom.
                Mike and (RIP Karen)
                2021 2600RB
                2011 Tundra 5.7 DC

Comment

I was just staring at that connection yesterday, asking myself why would you put a 2" tee and line in a heat vent. Yes, it is 2", not 3" which would be 3x better to start with. I'll have to consider making that change. How did you access the whole area? I pulled out the power center to see the connection, but I'm not sure how I would get enough access to actually change things. Can you pull out the bottom of the cupboard or something to gain access?

Thanks!
                  2021 2800BH
                  2021 F150 Crew

Comment

Originally posted by mboehk View Post
                    I was just staring at that connection yesterday, asking myself why would you put a 2" tee and line in a heat vent. Yes, it is 2", not 3" which would be 3x better to start with. I'll have to consider making that change. How did you access the whole area? I pulled out the power center to see the connection, but I'm not sure how I would get enough access to actually change things. Can you pull out the bottom of the cupboard or something to gain access?

Thanks!
                    Yes, you can remove the drawer above the power center (I'm assuming the 2800BH is the same in this area as the 2600RB) to allow you more room to work. It was a little difficult to work in there, with the rats nest of wires, but not impossible. One difference that I'm aware of is that you have 50 amp service whereas I only have 30 amp. You most likely have more and heavier gauge wires to deal with.
                    Mike and (RIP Karen)
                    2021 2600RB
                    2011 Tundra 5.7 DC

Comment

Working...
                    X