A/C soft start units

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A/C soft start units

It seems to me that Soft Start and Easy Start are the two most popular units and also get the most press coverage. I have seen many more brands listed (on Amazon, for one) that are much cheaper. In fact, I have seen units in the $150 range. Have any of you either used these other brands, and what is your opinion of them? I for one, cannot see the justification for charging such a high price for what seems like a fairly simple device, especially since the cost of the R&D and initial introduction to the market has long past been paid for.
    Mike and (RIP Karen)
    2021 2600RB
    2011 Tundra 5.7 DC

AZMike -- I can't directly answer your question, all I can do is provide a testimony from my personal experience with MicroAir's EasyStart. Both of the a/c units on my 315RLTS have one installed. The bedroom EasyStart developed an issue working with my Victron inverter and MicroAir took it back, sending a new unit with updated firmware as a replacement at no cost to me.

Howard
    Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by howson View Post
      AZMike -- I can't directly answer your question, all I can do is provide a testimony from my personal experience with MicroAir's EasyStart. Both of the a/c units on my 315RLTS have one installed. The bedroom EasyStart developed an issue working with my Victron inverter and MicroAir took it back, sending a new unit with updated firmware as a replacement at no cost to me.

Howard
      Thanks, Howard. During my research I have been leaning toward the MicroAir.
      Mike and (RIP Karen)
      2021 2600RB
      2011 Tundra 5.7 DC

Comment

Originally posted by AZMike View Post
        It seems to me that Soft Start and Easy Start are the two most popular units and also get the most press coverage. I have seen many more brands listed (on Amazon, for one) that are much cheaper. In fact, I have seen units in the $150 range. Have any of you either used these other brands, and what is your opinion of them? I for one, cannot see the justification for charging such a high price for what seems like a fairly simple device, especially since the cost of the R&D and initial introduction to the market has long past been paid for.
        I also installed a Micro-Air Easy Start on my AC. Works exactly as advertised. I am able to start AC with just batteries. With the Easy Start, the AC startup current is about 12-15 amps. Without the Easy Start it was about 30 amps.
        Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

Another microair customer here. Happy with it, does what it is supposed to do. You are right in that some of the knock off copies could be just as good for less money. But you also will be a bit of a guinea pig as well. It may be a quality copy, it may be a cheap copy. Hard to determine that prior to purchase. I'm sure the el cheapo producer pads their 5 star ratings.
          2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
          Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

I have a Dometic Brisk II on our Imagine XLS. I was going to to with MicroAir, but then I learned that Dometic makes their own stoft start specifically for that unit. The benefits were that all the wiring was already pre-cut to the right length with the appropriate connectors, and it came attached to a metal bracket with pre- drilled holes that perfectly mounted it over the fan motor under the shroud using the existing motor fasteners. No need to find enough empty space to stick it in somewhere like the MicroAir. so far it's been working great.
            2023 Grand Design Imagine XLS 21BHE
            2023 Ford F-350 12,000 lb GVRW w/tow tech package

Comment

I'm also planning to install the Micro-air soon. Is the Micro-Air EasyStart 364 Soft Starter ASY-364-X20-IP the model you recommend for a Solitude with the Colman Mach 15 AC's? Also for those that did the install already, did you order the install kit? It appears to contain things I already have around the house. I just need to correct size wire which I assume is on the install instructions. Inverters R US has them for $279.57 right now. Thanks

2019 Solitude 310 GK
              2018 Ram 3500 DRW

Comment

Originally posted by SD McCart View Post
                I'm also planning to install the Micro-air soon. Is the Micro-Air EasyStart 364 Soft Starter ASY-364-X20-IP the model you recommend for a Solitude with the Colman Mach 15 AC's? Also for those that did the install already, did you order the install kit? It appears to contain things I already have around the house. I just need to correct size wire which I assume is on the install instructions. Inverters R US has them for $279.57 right now. Thanks

See https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...s-2019-315rlts

Howard
                Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Originally posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
                  Another microair customer here. Happy with it, does what it is supposed to do. You are right in that some of the knock off copies could be just as good for less money. But you also will be a bit of a guinea pig as well. It may be a quality copy, it may be a cheap copy. Hard to determine that prior to purchase. I'm sure the el cheapo producer pads their 5 star ratings.
                  Thanks, Scott'n'Wendy. That's an excellent point about being a guinea pig for an unknown or unproven product.
                  Mike and (RIP Karen)
                  2021 2600RB
                  2011 Tundra 5.7 DC

Comment

I've got the microair easystart on both of my units. Wasn't a difficult install following the instructions and watching videos beforehand. Haven't had any trouble with them. Use both A/C's in Missouri during July heat with 30 amps at some campgrounds.
                    (attached pic of a screenshot from last year of app readings)
                    Jason & Kim
                    Lake Saint Louis, Missouri
                    2021 Imagine 2970RL
                    2016 Ford F250

Comment

Originally posted by vogey75 View Post
                      I've got the microair easystart on both of my units. Wasn't a difficult install following the instructions and watching videos beforehand. Haven't had any trouble with them. Use both A/C's in Missouri during July heat with 30 amps at some campgrounds.
                      (attached pic of a screenshot from last year of app readings)
                      Just for clarification: the current the app shows is only the compressor. The two fans in each unit do take a similar amount of power as the compressor. I was able to determine this by looking at the current reported by the Watchdog.
                      Ottertail, Minnesota
                      2022 Imagine 2500RL VIN 573TE3029N6637046
                      2022 Ford F-150 Lariat, SuperCrew, long box, max tow

Comment

I installed three Micro-Air Easy Starts a couple of years ago and they have worked flawlessly. Install is easy and they provide good instructions. I also ordered the "installation kits" to ensure I had everything needed. They weren't cheap but you can often find discount codes.
                        2020 Momentum 349M
                        2019 F350 Platinum Super Duty
                        U.S. Air Force Retired

Comment

Today installed a soft start on the living room AC. Simple easy to follow instructions, and a nice youtube video is available.

Coleman Mach 1497-3601 on Amazon

I wish I could capture inrush current on my clamp meter, to check the before and after results, but it's the slower Fluke 325 that doesn't quite do it. I'm told the 376/377 will do it. Just for kicks, I set my meter to capture the Max reading. Starting the AC before the softstart, I measured 15A on the black compressor wire, and after the install, 11A. So it's probably doing it's job now.

Locked rotor current is almost 60A on these 15K 48000 series units. Hoping to be able to fire up the AC on the inverter during quick stops along the road for lunch or a break, otherwise, just looking to add longevity. Have not heard the clunk on start with this unit that I used to hear with my previous travel trailer AC, but I've only run the AC in the Solitude a handful of times to check function.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1565.jpg Views:	0 Size:	143.6 KB ID:	132350
                          Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1566.jpg Views:	0 Size:	184.9 KB ID:	132351Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1567.jpg Views:	0 Size:	67.7 KB ID:	132352

Installing a Soft Start in a Coleman-Mach Air Conditioner (youtube.com)
                          Last edited by BWSTGDS; 04-19-2024, 03:30 PM.
                          Jeff & Janice
                          2019 Solitude 377MBS, 5.5kW Onan, Kodiak disc brakes/Titan actuator, EquaFlex/wetbolts, Triangle TRT01 LRG tires, Splendide W/D, Magnum Energy 3000W inverter/charger, 4-225AH-6V NPP AGM's, Winegard WiFi extender, RV airflow, Progressive Ind HW EMS, Andersen Ultimate Hitch​

Comment

did that AC unit have a heat pump?

Comment

No, sir......
                              Jeff & Janice
                              2019 Solitude 377MBS, 5.5kW Onan, Kodiak disc brakes/Titan actuator, EquaFlex/wetbolts, Triangle TRT01 LRG tires, Splendide W/D, Magnum Energy 3000W inverter/charger, 4-225AH-6V NPP AGM's, Winegard WiFi extender, RV airflow, Progressive Ind HW EMS, Andersen Ultimate Hitch​

Comment

Working...
                              X