Repair or Replace Colman A/C

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Repair or Replace Colman A/C

Salon A/C stopped blowing cold air. HVAC buddy looked at it and told me low on refrigerant. The “fix” is adding a valve to add refrigerant, finding leak, repair and add new refrigerant. Obviously, there are procedures that are required with the R410.

My online search suggests that the entire unit is being replaced and repairs not done. Seems like a waste when everything works.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Nels
    2020 Solitude 385GK
    2018 RAM 3500 Dually

I'm curious how your HVAC contact was able to determine it's low on refrigerant. Did he actually test the unit to see if it's low? Was there low amperage indicating loss of refrigerant? Normally, most folks don't try to recharge them. They just replace them.

Jim

Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

I agree with Jim. How was it determined that the system is low? If system is low, did your buddy find the leak and repair it?

Not uncommon on RV AC systems is to use capillary tubes vs throttling or orifice to flash the liquid out of the condenser to a super cooled gas. The Capillary tubes are notorious for being unreliable and plugging up.

If I had to guess, the system is running at 100% amp load, and the condenser coils are only warm across one section, while the inside is either freezing up or not getting cold. Unless you ahve been through the plugged capillary tube issue, it appears the unit is low on refrigerant.
      Joseph
      Tow
      Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
      Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
      South of Houston Texas

Comment

Originally posted by Grand Traveler View Post
        Any thoughts?
        My .02: replace it.

Rationale: The entire lesson block on recharging/ fixing leaking a/c units was dropped from RVSA's curriculum (an RV school I attended) as the labor and cost of maintaining EPA-approved refrigerant equipment (and storage containers) far exceeds the costs involved compared to replacing the unit.

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

A new AC will cost you between $800 and $1200. With a heat pump will add about $200. For the peace of mind (and possible upgrading to a heat pump) I would seriously consider a new one.
          Allen

2021 Momentum 21G

Comment

I agree, replace. If possible up the size. To quote Billintexas, "hell has moved to Texas and taken up residence". Unfortunately hell is expanding his territory.
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
            X