2nd A/C unit on Transend 315BH

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2nd A/C unit on Transend 315BH

I'm installing a second A/C unit on our new 315BH due to the single 15k unit not keeping up in 85°F+ temps. Besides the point of it probably being a compressor warranty issue I really didn't want to be without our TT when we should be out enjoying it so a 2nd AC is in order.

Question: does anyone know if the front bedroom is wired for a thermostat. Reading some of the forums suggest that older GD units are prepped with thermostat wire accessable from behind the bedroom light switch. I've removed the ceiling vent interior around with switch cover and haven't located the thermostat wire yet. I did find the box with the 120V so know I'm in the right place.

​​​Really hoping not to fish the wire thru but will if necessary.

If any one is curious I've got the Furrion Chill 13.5k unit and hoping to use it with the matching controller and premium single zone thermostat.

Welcome Mey7fam. I'm heading over to the GDRV national rally grounds tomorrow. If I run into any of the technicians, I'll ask them about your 315.

Jim
    Jim and Ginnie
    2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
    GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
    GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

mey7fam

According to what I can see yes you have prewired for an optional second ac, this will be in the front bedroom. There is a power vent there now. You can check in your power panel and see if there is a second ac breaker. You can also drop the inner trim ring on the power vent and should find a romex cable there for the ac. There is nothing in the rear bunk area for an optional ac unit to be installed.

Brian
      Brian & Michelle
      2018 Reflection 29RS
      2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by mey7fam View Post
        I'm installing a second A/C unit on our new 315BH due to the single 15k unit not keeping up in 85°F+ temps. Besides the point of it probably being a compressor warranty issue I really didn't want to be without our TT when we should be out enjoying it so a 2nd AC is in order.

Question: does anyone know if the front bedroom is wired for a thermostat. Reading some of the forums suggest that older GD units are prepped with thermostat wire accessable from behind the bedroom light switch. I've removed the ceiling vent interior around with switch cover and haven't located the thermostat wire yet. I did find the box with the 120V so know I'm in the right place.

​​​Really hoping not to fish the wire thru but will if necessary.

If any one is curious I've got the Furrion Chill 13.5k unit and hoping to use it with the matching controller and premium single zone thermostat.
        There's always the option of a manual distribution box (no thermostat needed). https://furrion.com/collections/air-...-control-white

Howard
        Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

I met up with a couple of the GDRV techs this morning and asked the question. The answer was "Maybe".

They said it should have 120VAC available in the ceiling (which you confirmed). They said to remove the vent garnish and look for a 10 wire ribbon cable which would be for the thermostat. You may have to move some tape or insulation to find it. It you can't find it, then the unit is not wired for a remote thermostat. If that's the case, you can try fishing a thermostat which will be quite tricky. But they recommended you just purchase an AC with built in controls if your specific model is not prewired for a second AC thermostat.

Also, When you remove I look at the drawings, the vent in the front does not appear to be ducted to main AC plenum. When your remove the vent garnish, you can confirm this. If so, you want to purchase a non-ducted AC unit.

Jim
          Jim and Ginnie
          2024 Solitude 310GK - 2020 F350 Dually
          GDRV Technical Forum Moderator
          GDRV Rally Support Coordinator

Comment

Thank you everyone for the help! I was able to complete the installation with a remote thermostat which I mounted just above the room light switch.
            To fish the thermostat wire I pulled the ceiling light down and was able to connect the wire fish wire to one of the legs of the light switch. Once the fish wire was up to the ceiling light access hole could pull the thermostat wire and switch leg bach thru with only a few snags.

120vac was pre wired as mentioned so just required tapping into one of the 12vdc lines already in the ceiling. I believe that this was a red or brown wire.

Comment

Working...
            X