Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slides closed, heater on?

Heater question
    We are looking to do some overnight stops with our 5th wheel as we make our way to a destination that is farther afield then we’re used to. From what I’ve read, we can stay hitched, drop the landing gear, and sleep in our bedroom without opening the bedroom slide. What we are wondering is if we can run the heat without opening our living room slide? The electrical heat blows from the ceiling unit whereas the propane from the ductwork. Would either of those be obstructed (and potentially damaged) from not opening our big slide? The reason I’m asking is because Lippert tells us all feet must be down to open the slides (even though the dealer has all the slides open with just the landing gear on every coach on their lot!). zz0.evba7t1skqzz

If running the heat pump in the ac unit you should not have any issue whether the slides are in or out. If using the furnace make sure that all ducts are open and not covered by the slides when they are in. Also the return air supply for the furnace should be open, this is usually found under the hutch or cabinets in the area of the furnace.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Don't need to drop the landing gear. We don't on quick overnight stops.
      2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
      Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too....

Comment

IntlSpud

If you fill in your signature block with the 5th wheel model that you have, you will get more informed replies. I agree with Scott'n'Wendy (at least for the 303 with the centreline bed) . . . no need to drop the legs and all furnace intake and outlets are uncovered with all slides in.

Rob
        Cate & Rob
        (with Border Collies Molly & Angel + Kitties Hazel & Elsie)
        2015 Reflection 303RLS
        2022 F350 Diesel CC SB SRW Lariat
        Bayham, Ontario, Canada

Comment

As mentioned, as long as the ducts are not covered and there is a clear return air path to the furnace, all is good. With the slides closed you are actually heating less volume of space therefore it should also be more "effective" and run less.

This also works well with the AC. I have done this when in the driveway so it cools down faster. Opening and closing the slides a few times will push and pull air in and out of the camper helping a little, then with the slides closed run the AC till it cycles at least 1 time, then open one slide, allow to cycle, repeat until all slides open.
          Last edited by Jlawles2; 09-03-2023, 10:16 AM.
          Joseph
          Tow
          Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
          Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
          South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
          X