Coleman A/C Fan Motor Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coleman A/C Fan Motor Replacement

Nothing cosmic in this post, just thought I'd jot down a few notes regarding my experience today replacing the fan motor on a Coleman-Mach 15K air conditioner.

Why replace it? Twice now there's been a horrible "scream" from the unit that most likely is bearing associated. After letting the unit cool down and restarting it will run fine for a time, but I don't want it to fail during the upcoming camping season when I'm away from home.

The motor (and new capacitor) parts were ordered from here: https://www.rvupgradestore.com/Fan-M...-p/45-2528.htm I had no problem at all with the install or aligning any of the studs with the shroud as mentioned in some of the YouTube videos online.

I found this particular YouTube video useful ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-x8LfOmRXI ), but ignored the wiring portion at the end. I did it my own way, running all the new wire from the motor into the front compartment of the a/c and then joined the white, red and black wires to the unit with waterproof (heat shrink) splices. The two brown wires are connected to the new capacitor, as shown below. Note the white/brown wire is on the left side of the capacitor.

There is more than one red and black wire in the front compartment, so marking them with an identifier (I used blue painter's tape with a Sharpie) to make sure you're cutting and splicing the right wire is highly suggested. Along with copious pictures.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	856.5 KB ID:	125259

Only other thing of note is how I ensured the fans were in the exact same position. The "squirrel cage" fan was measured from the end to the fan itself (1" as shown below). Easy to install on the new motor in the exact same position.

If you look closely you'll see the fan is encrusted with crud -- adding to my maintenance list to pull these out once a year to clean them from now on.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	590.8 KB ID:	125260

On the other fan I marked each blade where it aligned with the case (looking down at it from above) so again it was easy to make sure the fan was in the same position on the new motor shaft.

Click image for larger version  Name:	image.png Views:	0 Size:	807.0 KB ID:	125261

Not much else to it that's not covered in the YouTube video. Only "bad" part of the job is climbing up and down the ladder.

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
    2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Do not forget to use caution when working with/around those capacitors, you experience could be shocking.

Brian
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Country Campers View Post
      Do not forget to use caution when working with/around those capacitors, you experience could be shocking.

Brian
      I don't know Brian - that never happened to me It did make my hair stand up. If I remember correctly do you short across the contacts or ground both to discharge before handling. Remember I like to let the magic smoke out.

In high school I was building a short wave radio kit and had a 4" can capacitor blow. Talk about noise, smoke, and fireworks for a few moments. Yep I had miss wired it. But back then you could go to radio shack and get a replacement.. Times have changed.

howson Howard - how did you clean the fan. I always seem to cut myself when trying to use a rag (on my swamp cooler fan at the house.. I need to check mine in the spring along with the cooling fin straightening.

Keith
      2018 Reflection 150 Series 220RK 5th whee, Star White 2022 F350 King Ranch CC Long bed (HAL) (CCC 4062lbs), B&W 25K OEM Companion,. SteadyFast system, Trailer reverse lights, rear receiver spare tire holder, storage tube, sumo springs, Victron MultiPlus 12/120/3000, Solar, Custom 6K axles upgrade, and other modifications.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoda View Post
        howson Howard - how did you clean the fan.
        There's both plastic (squirrel fan and the regular fan on opposite ends of the shaft). Little chance of cutting yourself, but could be easy to break one if dropped.

To clean I just rinsed them off with a garden hose, nozzle set on "jet".

Howard

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
        2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Good info that will be bookmarked. I had a "scream" while we lived in ours, same unit, 15K Coleman. I ended up on top cleaning and lubing and it hasn't done it again. I may change it next maintenance on the unit next spring.
          Bill & Cindy
          2021 Transcend Xplor 221RB
          2021 Nissan Titan Pro4X
          SE Texas

Comment

Howard, I have sprayed the cage fan with soap and water, let sit for a few minutes, re-hydrate, then with a semi stiff brush work into the grooves to knock off as much as possible. Rinse and repeat, being careful if there is a balancing clip or clips. I have a small detail type brush used for the fin to hub areas to help.

No scientific data, but I think airflow increased 10% or more after cleaning.

Use these for the fin to hub: https://www.amazon.com/Otis-Technolo...2470487&sr=8-5
            Joseph
            Tow
            Vehicle: 2024 GMC K3500 Denali Ultimate Diesel
            Coach: 303RLS Delivered March 5, 2021
            South of Houston Texas

Comment

Working...
            X