Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Furnace blower fan - thermostat question

I have poked around the forum and not seen this;
    Does anyone know of a thermostat that I can install to operate the furnace blower fan independent of the furnace? We want to heat the camper with the fireplace and circulate the warm air to the under belly.
    2024 Reflection 312BHTS

I have not seen nor heard of a thermostat that can do this for an RV.

What model GD do you have?

Brian
    Last edited by Country Campers; 01-01-2024, 01:47 PM. Reason: removed ac comment as it is not pertinent.
    Brian & Michelle
    2018 Reflection 29RS
    2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

Originally posted by Mike-KimP View Post
      I have poked around the forum and not seen this;
      Does anyone know of a thermostat that I can install to operate the furnace blower fan independent of the furnace? We want to heat the camper with the fireplace and circulate the warm air to the under belly.
      As Brian stated, nothing off-the-shelf (that I'm aware of).

Wiring in a manual switch to turn on the fan isn't too difficult of a project, but getting the fan to cycle based on underbelly temperature...that might be an interesting project.

However, if it's cold enough to need the underbelly warmed it's probably too cold to just rely on an electric fireplace to keep the RV comfortable, so not sure the effort to move warm interior air to the underbelly (outside of using the furnace as designed) would be worth the effort?

Howard

P.S. Also as noted by Brian, please fill out your signature line with your GD model information. (See the Welcome Letter linked off the home page.)

Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
      2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

2024 312 BHTS , sorry I missed that on my profile, will tend to it.
        2024 Reflection 312BHTS

Comment

Originally posted by Mike-KimP View Post
          2024 312 BHTS , sorry I missed that on my profile, will tend to it.
          Cool -- thanks (added the year and brand for ya).

Not that you asked for my .02, but with a new RV at this point suggest using the furnace as designed to warm the underbelly. My assumption is we're discussing temperatures dipping below freezing.

Another assumption is you're occupying your Reflection in very cold temps, so do you know about protecting the low point drains? These are the blue and red water lines protruding out the bottom of the coroplast. "Coroplast" is the material covering the underbelly.

There's several options, one being to use a water faucet cold-weather cover. I prefer soft covers over the hard foam versions. They are inexpensive--one example here: https://www.amazon.com/Tibomoom-Prot.../dp/B09DCZHSD6

Howard

P.S. If you'd like any further cold weather tips, see https://gdrvowners.com/forum/operati...-weather-usage and d2reid 's excellent post here: https://gdrvowners.com/forum/gdrv4li...7295#post57295

Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	171
Size:	144.2 KB
ID:	126353​
          Forum moderators are not GD employees--we are volunteers and owners presumably just like yourself. Unless specifically mentioned otherwise, we have nothing to gain should you choose to purchase a product or engage a service we discuss on this forum.

Howard & Francine
          2017 Ford F-350 DRW, '19 315RLTSPlus

Comment

Along with Howard’s comments:

Without a fair amount of custom wiring there is no way to run the furnace blower without the furnace burner operating.

While my experience is with bigger units my guess is the fireplace will not provide adequate heat in freezing temperatures. Fireplace provides about 5,000 BTUs, the furnace depending upon model is 30,000 to 40,000. If the fireplace is adequate then outside temperature probably isn’t below freezing, in that case I wouldn’t worry about circulating heated air to the underbelly.

All of that said if you are camping in a place with free or cheap electricity and the fireplace isn’t adequate you might want to consider an ad on known as cheap heat. The system adds an electric resistance heating system to the output of the furnace. https://www.rvcomfortsystems.com/add-on-system
            Colan Arnold
            2016 Momentum 397TH
            Full time since 2016

Comment

I agree with colan . A fireplace may reduce the amount of run time for the furnace but it wont be effective at heating the whole trailer when it's cold out. An issue with custom wiring, if someone chooses to do it, is safety. When a furnace is rewired in a way that is different from a manufacturers intentions, safety interlocks could be unintentionally bypassed. A thorough check and test of all aspects of the furnace would be essential.
              2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins w Aisin and 9 cup holders
              2021 303RLS
              Electricians were created because engineers need heroes too...

Comment

I had not considered the BTU difference from fireplace to furnace. We are planning to go north for a couple of months and I was trying to come up with ways to minimize propane use. Based on the info from you fine folks I have opted not to pursue this mod. Also have reconsidered due to the furnace fan not being designed for continuous service.
                Howson, thanks for the info on the low points, my head didn't go there either.
                2024 Reflection 312BHTS

Comment

Also remember the fresh tank drain and overflow pipe, outside spray port if there is one on an exterior wall.

Brian
                  Brian & Michelle
                  2018 Reflection 29RS
                  2022 Chevy 3500HD

Comment

You may consider something like this....
                    2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
                    2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
                    E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
                    Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Comment

Originally posted by d2reid View Post
                      You may consider something like this....
                      Do you have this?
                      Raymond and Dee Dee
                      2024 Reflection 296 RDTS
                      2023 Chevrolet 2500HD

Comment

Originally posted by reubenray View Post

Do you have this?
                        No, I considered it. But a couple of things stopped me. First off, at the time I rented RV space by the month and electricity was not included, so I would end up paying for it anyway. Second, deciding which electrical circuit it would be on, and then getting the wires run for it. I was running the 1500w fireplace, a 1500w full room electica heater, and the propane furnace. (130 gallon tank). During single digit nights I could keep my 41 foot Momentum around 65f. On average I was spending $500 a month on electric and propane.
                        2017 Momentum 376, 2019 Ford F450
                        2022 Triumph Scrambler Motorcycle
                        E-bikes, Hobi Pedal Kayaks
                        Kota the dog and KC the Kitty Cat

Comment

Working...
                        X